Wedge loft/bounce combinations - what is your two highest lofted wedge setup?

54/58. I just shave the bounce or dull the leading edge till they work better for me, especially on loft changes of 1-2 deg. Nothing worse than a leading edge getting stuck in the ground on chips

I believe that my MD3s are 54/10 S Grind and 58/11 W Grind. The 58 is the sand, shortsided, and various other situations where I look at the ball and the target and say I need the 58. The 54 is more of a fairway club basically 120 and in. I guess bounce is my friend because they are both high bounce and I like them both a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the S Grind on both of my MD3 wedges.

56˚ - 10˚ bounce
60˚ - 9˚ bounce

I chose the S-Grind since I play on firm and soft conditions. I figured something in the middle was my best bet. I have been very pleased thus far.

What type of conditions do you normally play? You still use a low bounce wedge in green side rough? Or soft deep bunkers?

Thru trial and error I've learned that too much bounce causes me to chunk my wedges (I'm more of picker or sweeper with my swing). I don't tend to open the face too much or often. Ball position I'll move around a touch depending on what the shot calls for.

What if you are short-sided to an uphill pin from a tight green side apron like lie? Still go with the 48°?

What type of conditions do you normally play? You still use a low bounce wedge in green side rough? Or soft deep bunkers?

It depends on how extreme the uphill lie is. The uphill slope adds loft to the club. I can still use the 54, but i play it back of stance and deloft it a bit. Whatever I use, it's important to hit the ball and the turf at almost the same time.

Whatever I use, it's important that the clubhead slides along, not dig or bounce.

It's a learning process. And the Vokeys are not easy. My chips end up very good, or very bad. :)

And this may be just me, but I have difficulty controlling higher lofted wedges. I have a 58 and a 60, but because I play in many courses with many kinds of turf, I'm finding it hard to get some consistency with them.

Also, I'm fond of using the good 'ol Texas wedge. Whatever gets it close.

Last edited:
54-10 and 58-10 for me. My course condition vary quite often so I just go mid bounce on both.

I just watched a video about a 73 degree wedge... Insane.

Callaway MD3's with the W grind - 54/12 and 58/11. I trust Rodger, bounce is your friend and the leading edge is the devil.

when I see your post (& I think Jman is using the W grind in a 56* too?), I keep chnging my mind lol!

I'm in the middle of changing out my wedges. I have a 60* PM grind - I've only got to play one round with it so far, but I love what little results I've seen with it. Just picked up a Callaway XR Pro 50* approach wedge, and I was planning on getting a Callaway MD3 54* bent to 55. I just can't decide on the S grind or the W grind. My head says S, but my heart & gut say W.

Have you had any problems using your 54/12 off tighter lies Howzat?

when I see your post (& I think Jman is using the W grind in a 56* too?), I keep chnging my mind lol!

I'm in the middle of changing out my wedges. I have a 60* PM grind - I've only got to play one round with it so far, but I love what little results I've seen with it. Just picked up a Callaway XR Pro 50* approach wedge, and I was planning on getting a Callaway MD3 54* bent to 55. I just can't decide on the S grind or the W grind. My head says S, but my heart & gut say W.

Have you had any problems using your 54/12 off tighter lies Howzat?

I just picked them up the other day and haven't had a chance to use them yet. Neither will be a full swing club for me. A 60* PM Grind will also rotate through my bag depending on the course.

I carry two 60* wedges, Vokey 60.04 and 60.10 PM Mack Daddy

Back