The golfing community is really amazing

tucsoncacti

Team Paradise/2021 MC Winner/Heading to Gray Bull
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I was in Arkansas visiting my son in Little Rock. He joined the Air Force and is currently stationed there. His wife has yet to join him, and so I decided to head out there alone to get some quality time with him. I decided to bring my clubs despite a questionable weather forecast.

I got in late Wednesday night after a harrowing flight. Literally the worst flight I have been on. Never been on a flight where people were screaming and crying because of the turbulence. At one point I honestly thought the plane might crash. Now I don't know how the pilot felt, and to his credit he did a great job and got us safely to Memphis. It was decided in Memphis to refuel and head back to Little Rock and try again. Thankfully the storms passed and we made it in.

Well now it's past midnight, and my son needs to be up early. Luckily his CO was nice and let him have the day off despite him getting ready and heading into work planning on working the day. He came back to the house at 8 and just went to bed and crashed out. Me I was still a little jumpy from the flight and despite being exhausted I decided to unpack the clubs and head to the military base course Deer Run.

The weather was not good at all. I got to the course and even wondered if they were open as I was the only car in the lot. It was low 50s with a steady rain. I head in the clubhouse, surprise the lady working and proceeded out to play with the course to myself. Despite the inclement weather it was actually therapeutic getting soaking wet, hearing nothing but rain falling and the trees blowing softly after the night I encountered.

Now when I golf I never wear my wedding ring. My ring pinches me for some reason, and I get a bad blister from it. I always put it in my wallet for safe keeping but this day I put it in my pocket where I also put my balls between holes. Every hole I kept saying to myself "put your ring in your wallet". And after every tee shot I would run to the cart to seek shelter from the rain and forget. Well on hole 11 I finally decide to put my ring away.... And well you know the story. The ring is long gone. With all the water and mud in my mind it was a daunting task to even think about finding that needle in a haystack.

Losing the ring really shook me up for some reason. I mean it obviously has a sentimental value to me, and it can easily be replaced. And I know my wife would not begrudge me for being so careless because....well because I have the best wife ever. But it was one of those things where I felt like after that crappy flight, now I lose my ring, it was just turning into a bad 24 hours.

I finish the round as best I could, and head back into the clubhouse. This time there is an old retired gentleman there. I told him how much I enjoyed the course, and how my night had been and how much I needed to get out despite the weather. I then explain to him about my losing my wedding ring. I give him my number and ask if anyone finds it please let me know.

So I get home late last night. Another long flight, but less hectic. I wake up to a phone message, and low and behold he finds the ring. I give him a call back, and he proceeds to tell me that he has 4 regular groups head out every morning. And he detailed them to search the tee boxes for my ring, and they end up finding it on the 8th hole. He told me he did not want my weekend with my son to end on a bad note. Incredibly appreciative of the staff at Deer Run GC. I hope the karma gods hit them up for their thoughtfulness of looking out for me.

Sorry for the long post.

That’s great they found it for you! I always love hearing about happy ending stories.

Great story, thanks for posting.

That's a great story. I have lost a wedding ring under very similar circumstances (I now keep it on when I play) and amazingly someone found it two weeks later and returned it to the clubhouse.

Great story, I too take off my ring for same reason and have had several heart attacks forgetting which pocket in my bag I put it.

Last edited:
Glad you got it back. I switched to a silicone ring a couple years ago and rarely take it off. I only weary official wedding ring on special occasions. Married 8 years only lost one ring and thankfully it was not the original.

Glad you got it back and kudos to the guys who helped look for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great ending!! Glad it worked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story. Glad you got it back. Fortunately, I never have to worry about losing my wedding ring. I don't think I've had it on my finger this millennium. I told mrsOG a long time ago, if she needed me to wear a ring to prove I was going to be faithful, then she should just go ahead and leave then. She's still around after nearly 20 years so I think I'm good to go. :clown:

Great story, there really still are a lot of good folks around, despite the crap picture were constantly blasted with. Kudos to your boy, hope his USAF career is as full filling as mine was.

Great story, there really still are a lot of good folks around, despite the crap picture were constantly blasted with. Kudos to your boy, hope his USAF career is as full filling as mine was.
First off thank you for the kind responses.

Daddio.... I hope he sticks it out. As with anything there are pros and cons. But I just keep trying to give him sound advice and encouragement. He really likes the people he is with right now, and is not deterred knowing he will be heading off to some country across the world. He is in fuels management and enjoys the job right now. It's all new to him, but I already see the positive changes in him.

What a great story with a great ending. Thanks to your son for his service!

JM

Thanks for sharing, nice story. Always love hearing good people doing good things.

I'm another who doesn't wear his wedding band. Happily married 23.5 years, ring-less for 23 of them.

Mine's not lost, I don't think. But I have no idea where it is.

What a remarkable story, thank you for sharing that with us.

They went full on manhunt for that ring!! I bet every one of them 'knew' what it meant to you.

Glad to hear the crazy story had a positive ending, and please thank your son for his service for me!!

Great story and glad they were able to find it.

Very cool story! Thanks to your son for his service as well!

I haven't worn my for 6-7 years (been married 15 years). I gave it a 7-8 year trial and I just couldn't get used to wearing it. Even 6-7 years later I still have the indentation in my finger from where it was, so it might have been a little too tight.

Back