Products That Are DOA

nevercompromise?

I felt the same way. I was dumbfounded with how well I putted with it but I just couldn't commit to making it a full time putter.

It's the #InternetGolfer in us

I wanted to bump this thread, because while it got off topic a bit, there was some solid conversation.

Going to keep my eye out for this at the PGA show.

Going to keep my eye out for this at the PGA show.

companies keep the DOA products in the back hehe
You'll without a doubt a sense with whatever buzz is going around.

PXG is fitting this for me at the moment based sheerly on price point, a name harkening to the Rick James skit, and dueling shlongs on the heel and toe of their driver... surprised they didn't name it 'dong'... immature of me: yes

PXG is fitting this for me at the moment based sheerly on price point, a name harkening to the Rick James skit, and dueling shlongs on the heel and toe of their driver... surprised they didn't name it 'dong'... immature of me: yes

Hilarious: Yes

True: Yes

DOA: Hard to say. It's a different market so how does one define success in that market?

Thinking outside the box I'll say the Bio Cell line.
Performed great but I don't think I ever saw another person hit one or put one in the bag.

Army hasn't played with me yet. ... Yet.... This year you will.... Yeah, they're funky looking. If you've ever played an MMO, they're that ugly as hell piece of armor that doesn't go with anything but it has stats better than anything else you have. So you use it. I have seen other people play them.

I hit the irons better than anything else in the store. Performance. But ugly as hell. Whatever helps me get the ball to the hole.

I needed another iron from Cobra and dropped the line "well, from what i could tell, the Fly-Z irons are pretty much the same as the Bio-Cell except you guys cleaned up the cosmetics...." They did not deny it.

DOA: Hard to say. It's a different market so how does one define success in that market?
I'm confused as to which market they are in compared to which market they are shooting for. Since they have acquired some tour players one would think that they are trying to break into the mainstream market instead of the boutique/higher end. Are they aiming for the TP/TC marketshare instead?

I'm confused as to which market they are in compared to which market they are shooting for. Since they have acquired some tour players one would think that they are trying to break into the mainstream market instead of the boutique/higher end. Are they aiming for the TP/TC marketshare instead?

From everything I've heard (limited certainly) they are still shooting for the high end money to burn market. Even with the tour play presence, I just can't see them actually thinking they're going to hit the mainstream market at their price point.

i agree with dazeedmonds...pxg isn't being marketed to the masses and the price point also,pretty much excludes that. I would argue that it's not a DOA product. Not sure how many total sets of irons or woods they will sell it's a product for a niche market unlike the big name brands.

i agree with dazeedmonds...pxg isn't being marketed to the masses and the price point also,pretty much excludes that. I would argue that it's not a DOA product. Not sure how many total sets of irons or woods they will sell it's a product for a niche market unlike the big name brands.

Right, how do you define DOA when your total expected sales measure in the 100s (or less even?)

For me, and most of us here it would seem, it's a non-starter, but if they're only trying to sell 100 of these things, then maybe DOA doesn't apply.

It's still stupid looking.

Agreed on PXG, the price point and access has a direct correlation to sales as opposed to the quality of the offering. Having said that several of the Club Champion guys I know swear they are moving far more PXG product then they anticipated.

If there is a market for 4000.00 Scotty Cameron putters there is a market for whatever PXG is selling.

If there is a market for 4000.00 Scotty Cameron putters there is a market for whatever PXG is selling.

Agreed with this. Same goes for the high priced endo-forged blades blah blah.

Just because the market is limited doesn't mean they are DOA.

But the company is not based solely on that 4000 dollar nonsense.
PXG is solely based on selling only high end items.
Now they are paying a pretty penny on tour.

Im for more choices. PXG is not doing anything new, despite what they are saying, XXIO was PXG before PXG was and build in complete. However there is a certain air about them that says "better start moving some soon".

If PXG wasn't thinking of mainstream marketing they wouldn't have spent a fortune on tour players this year

If PXG wasn't thinking of mainstream marketing they wouldn't have spent a fortune on tour players this year

I don't buy that argument. How many players have Netjet endorsements? How many people are rocking Rolex watches? Advertising in golf seems to be about moving high margin luxury items.

I don't buy that argument. How many players have Netjet endorsements? How many people are rocking Rolex watches? Advertising in golf seems to be about moving high margin luxury items.

Ya. But none of those items are golf clubs. Why on earth would a golf equipment manufacturer advertise for any reason other than selling clubs? I'm not saying their prices are coming down or anything like that. Just think they honestly believe they can market to the masses

Ya. But none of those items are golf clubs. Why on earth would a golf equipment manufacturer advertise for any reason other than selling clubs? I'm not saying their prices are coming down or anything like that. Just think they honestly believe they can market to the masses

Im with Fup here. Parsons himself said they are marketing to people who can drop $5k without thinking about it. That's not mainstream or a lot of us who are watching the tour on a weekly basis.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...makes-5-000-golf-clubs-aimed-at-top-of-market

So what is the purpose of the sudden tour presence? To dominate the likes of xxio, Miura, and Honma? Why the sudden change in marketing and tour strategy if they are just going for the same audience?

So what is the purpose of the sudden tour presence? To dominate the likes of xxio, Miura, and Honma? Why the sudden change in marketing and tour strategy if they are just going for the same audience?

I think it's the same reason Rolex has tour players, while not all of the viewers can afford their clubs, they believe a large portion of their target audience is watching. They don't have to market to all of the viewers, but they do have to reach their market.

I don't think it's far fetched really. As JB said you see a lot of high end companies marketing during these events. Let's be realistic. There is a LOT of money watching golf.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I think it's the same reason Rolex has tour players, while not all of the viewers can afford their clubs, they believe a large portion of their target audience is watching. They don't have to market to all of the viewers, but they do have to reach their market.

I don't think it's far fetched really. As JB said you see a lot of high end companies marketing during these events. Let's be realistic. There is a LOT of money watching golf.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket
We can agree on that, I guess to word my question more appropriately. Is their recent, large investment worth a potential uptick in a relatively small market... or are they transitioning their sales model into a slightly higher priced mass marketed company? (Or a more reasonably priced boutique brand)

If they were happy with their past business model, why the drastic change?

Because in the high-end golf world, they're competing against some competitors who have been around for a long time.

Also because the owner of this high end company happens to be a much louder, decidedly more American personality.

Back