Ping i vs Mizuno JPX 850 Forged

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
Hello everyone, new guy here.

I had made a post asking this question on the Ping i thread, but I think that thread is kind of fizzled out, so I thought I would start a new one. I ask this because I was dead set on the 850's. Great LM numbers indoors, nice feel, good dispersion, a little harder feeling than the 800 pros I currently play but nearly a club longer. At my age I am looking for a little more distance with my irons but want to keep the players type of profile. While being fitted for the 850's I was in between shaft changes and the fitter walked away for a couple of minutes. I saw the i 7 iron in the hitting bay and took a swing with it. in that one swing I went from being nearly 100% sure I was walking out with the 850's to complete doubt. When the fitter came back he had a smile on his face as if he knew something and I was just figuring it out. I wonder if he left that club in there on propose....

I have gamed Pings in the past, I am on this Ping/Mizuno cycle. MP30's to S59 to MP60 to i10 to 800 pros. The numbers I got out of the Ping 7 iron seemed what I thought would be comparable to what a 7 850 forged would be based off of the 850 6 iron, if that makes sense. The 850 had the XP115 in it and the Ping the CFS. The ping felt much smoother for me, much higher than my 800 7 iron and at least 10 yards longer. Again, this is indoors so......Also dispersion on the ping was noticeably better. The 850's were consistently left in a neat little circle, which I'm certain was a lie angle thing, but the pings were pretty darn straight.

I didn't want to pull the trigger until I could hit them on an outdoor range. Mid 60's this weekend in VA so I am hoping I can get out there and compare. Has anyone played both the 850 forged and the new i's? How does distance compare? I believe the scoring irons of both sets have similar lofts and 1 degree weaker in the ping mid-long irons.

Any feedback is welcome. I may even hit the i25's too if they are still in the cart, but I really don't want to add more fuel to the fire. Thanks guy's.

At my age I am looking for a little more distance with my irons but want to keep the players type of profile.

I am on this Ping/Mizuno cycle.

Any feedback is welcome.

Time to break the Ping-Mizuno cycle:

Wilston-Staff-C200-irons-portrait_720x600.jpg

Distance with a more player's profile? These have that. In spades.

I've hit the 850 forged irons. My brother currently plays them and they are certainly a really great club. Feel is good. Performance is solid.

That being said, I've played Ping irons for the last 15 years or so (I3+ and S55's) and while I've hit and tested a lot of different clubs, I've never found something that
could replace that feel and confidence that I have in my Ping irons.

Is it mental, possibly. But even when I went through a fitting at Club Champion, the fitter told me nothing was out there that was better than the S55 for me.

Looks, feel and performance are all parts of the game and if you're being custom fit, the fitter and numbers should be able to tell you which way to go. I'll also
add in, don't go against your gut feeling if you have one.

Time to break the Ping-Mizuno cycle:

Wilston-Staff-C200-irons-portrait_720x600.jpg

Distance with a more player's profile? These have that. In spades.

I've heard nothing but positive things about W/S. OK, I'm game. I'll give a swing.

I've hit the 850 forged irons. My brother currently plays them and they are certainly a really great club. Feel is good. Performance is solid.

That being said, I've played Ping irons for the last 15 years or so (I3+ and S55's) and while I've hit and tested a lot of different clubs, I've never found something that
could replace that feel and confidence that I have in my Ping irons.

Is it mental, possibly. But even when I went through a fitting at Club Champion, the fitter told me nothing was out there that was better than the S55 for me.

Looks, feel and performance are all parts of the game and if you're being custom fit, the fitter and numbers should be able to tell you which way to go. I'll also
add in, don't go against your gut feeling if you have one.

I too love the S55's. I could game them, but the older I get the more help I think I need. I had the S59's in my bag for 5 years and I regret ever getting away from them. Of course I played more and my SS was 10mph faster back them, but I did play the best golf of my life with those clubs with the Z-Z65 shaft. I am going to hit the S55's along with the i's. I am intrigued by the wilson staff clubs as well, never even entered my thought process but ya never know.....

Back