JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have been preaching this since the beginning of THP, yet some still think that they can feel the difference. Here our friend Terry, talks about the difference between cast and forged.

Cast vs. Forged -The Real Truth

One of the questions we get more often than any at EIDOLON Golf is “Are your wedges cast or forged?” There is so much misinformation and misconception about the two that golfers are usually and mostly totally baffled by the realities of the difference between these methods of shaping metal into a wedge or iron head. So let’s explore the difference between casting and forging and dispel the myths.

We’re talking about shaping metal into an iron or wedge head. Our options are to make a mold and pour molten steel into it (casting), or pound a superheated billet of steel between a sequence of molds to get it to the shape we want (forging).

Forging was traditionally the way iron and wedge heads were made. The forging process takes a superheated billet of steel and hammers it under thousands of pounds of pressure into a sequence of shapes, each production tool getting it closer to the final shape of the iron head we desire. After the final forging step, the head goes to the polishers, who grind and shape the head into its final form. Graphics are stamped into the head, as are the grooves in the face. The skill of the craftsmen largely determines the final quality and consistency of the finished product. This is a very labor intensive method of making something, and the tooling is very, very expensive. Because of the forging process, a relatively “soft” carbon steel metal was chosen. And because carbon steel will rust, heads required chrome plating as a final step to protect them.

But, as long ago as the 1950s, Kenneth Smith was making irons of forged stainless steel, and they were highly regarded for their feel and performance. Though many of you many not remember that brand, Kenneth Smith can be credited as the pioneer of custom made golf clubs.

When cavity-back, or perimeter-weighted, irons were designed, the only way to create the intricate shapes was to utilize the “investment casting” process, also known as “lost wax”. This is the way all jewelry is made, by the way.

This process is different from forging, as it starts with the making of a “master model” of the head – what it should look like it minute detail – with a slight over-sizing to allow for shrink in the process. This master model is accurate in every detail and is precision machined out of aluminum. From this master model, a mold is cast of epoxy or soft metal. In production, molten wax is injected into the mold, which then produces an exact replica of the master, accurate in every detail – shape, graphics, etc. These wax “patterns” are then combined into a “tree” that contains 30-50 of them, with “gates” engineered to facilitate the flow of molten metal later in the process.

These “trees” then are subjected to a series of “dunkings” in a liquefied ceramic and then dipped into sand. Over a series of weeks, with daily “dunkings”, a thick ceramic mold is created around the wax. Then this mold is superheated to melt and burn out all the wax, and superheated steel (2800 degrees) is poured into the mold. When cooled, the ceramic is broken away, and the individual heads are cut off the “tree”. They are very accurate and detailed, and only require minor polishing and finishing. The mold, rather than the grinder/polisher, mostly determines the final shape of the product.

So let’s get to the big myth surrounding the differences between casting and forging.

“Cast clubs are harder than forged.” Or “cast clubs don’t feel as good as forged.”

When investment casting hit the golf scene, making golf clubs was new to foundries. For these new and intricate shapes, they selected the 17-4 stainless steel alloy because it was “foundry friendly”. In other words, the foundries knew what it would do, how much it would shrink, and it cast with high reliability. But 17-4 stainless cools to a very hard and brittle state. That gave the earliest cast clubs the reputation for being hard – THEY WERE!

Over the past 40 years, however, the foundries have developed and applied much metallurgical science to develop softer and softer alloys, and we have some very good ones. Some, such as the 300 series stainless steels, make wonderful putters, but are so soft that irons and wedges bend in normal play, so that constant lie and loft adjustments have to be made. And they began to cast carbon steels as well.

Think about it for a minute. Sticks of butter are cast, and they are not hard!!! Concrete structural beams are cast and they are very darn hard. It’s not the process that makes an iron hard or soft, it’s the material it is made of. Tour players overwhelming adopted Cleveland® wedges in the 1980s, and they’ve never forged a wedge in their history. Same for the Titleist® Vokey® designs – every one of them cast of 8620 carbon steel.

The main contributor to the “feel” thing is the shape of the golf club, much more than the material or process. In the 1980s, blind tests were conducted with tour players, having them hit identical unbranded irons – some cast, some forged, but all made of the same material and featuring the exact same muscle back design. None of them could tell the difference!!!

So, forget the forged vs. cast thing. If you like the shape of an iron or wedge, and you like the way it feels and performs – BUY IT!!!

Any questions?

Being a scientist it is always wonderful when the marketing hype is debunked. Kind of like the myth of global warming now called climate change.

Throw the ball changes into this equation and you can get even more "feel."

They forgot to mention the fact that cast clubheads have a lot more air pockets in them than do forged, which makes a big difference in feel.
I do agree that forging doesnt make a clubhead softer, but that doesnt mean there isnt a difference in feel.
Ive used cast irons and forged irons and there IS a difference in feel.

• Admin
Bake,
That was true years back. But according to Tom Stites, one of the most famous club makers of Mizuno fame and now Nike, "in most cases the same amount of air pockets are available in either club head."

EDIT QUOTE ------

Over the past 40 years, however, the foundries have developed and applied much metallurgical science to develop softer and softer alloys, and we have some very good ones. Some, such as the 300 series stainless steels, make wonderful putters, but are so soft that irons and wedges bend in normal play, so that constant lie and loft adjustments have to be made. And they began to cast carbon steels as well.

Think about it for a minute. Sticks of butter are cast, and they are not hard!!! Concrete structural beams are cast and they are very darn hard. It’s not the process that makes an iron hard or soft, it’s the material it is made of. Tour players overwhelming adopted Cleveland® wedges in the 1980s, and they’ve never forged a wedge in their history. Same for the Titleist® Vokey® designs – every one of them cast of 8620 carbon steel.

------ END QUOTE

Debunking myths is great but when you are still using myths or golf marketing hype to debunk them it is kind of silly and makes it seem like you are trying to push your agenda.

8620 is not considered CARBON steel in any industry but golf. 8620 is an alloy like stainless steel. All steel has carbon in it, but the difference is in the added materials that 8620 has that 1018, 1020, 1025 and so on do not have.

The real reason forgings have always been considered better is that in casting a club head you used to have big issues with air pockets, dead zones and hot zones, which will not be a problem with a forged club. Therefore pro's played mostly forged clubs, as technology improved cast no longer had the hot or dead zone and air bubble issues like they had previously. Which is why you started seeing guys like Couples, Love III playing cast irons. However public opinion was just that, pro's mostly played forged so average joe wanted to play them too. Average Joe looked for reasons to play what the pros played and the golf hype/marketing machine obliged them.

The metal and shape makes the difference in feel, not whether it is forged or cast, but cast can still have issues with dead zones and hot spots, but barely perceptible to a human if at all because of all of the improvements in casting techniques. Many of today's companies have a quality control program to catch clubs that may be a problem.

Carbon steels are not CAST to make golf clubs, carbon is a horrible metal to cast with which is why they do not do it. 8620 is an alloy and can be cast or forged, just like 303. Carbon steel (1018 - 1020, 1025 - 1L17) and the like can be forged or just plain milled.

Below is the actual facts in what materials are in different types of metals. 8620 steel is an alloy, just like stainless steel.

For example True Carbon Steels will have the following materials in their make-up....

Iron
Carbon
Manganese
Phosphorus
Sulfur

==================================

8620 will have the following materials in them....

Iron
Carbon
Manganese
Phosphorus
Sulphur
Silicon
Chromium
Nickel
Molybdenum

=============================================

Stainless steel, 303 in this case looks like this.......

Iron
Carbon
Chrome
Manganese
Molybdenum
Nickel
Phosphorus
Sulphur
Silicon

==============

As you can see, 8620 is an alloy metal like stainless steel, not true carbon steel.

AAHH and the debate continues. In many ways life is so predictable. I guess we should talk about how the chrome layer will change the properties of carbon steel clubs and so on, etc. I use cast and they "feel' great.

• Admin
GCG,
We have spoken to dozens of tour pros, 12 club makers at huge national companies, and everybody in between. The only people that say there is a difference in feel are those that want to feel a difference. Shape and metal make the difference. That is it.

AAHH and the debate continues. In many ways life is so predictable. I guess we should talk about how the chrome layer will change the properties of carbon steel clubs and so on, etc. I use cast and they "feel' great.

Not sure if that was directed to me, but I say in my mini "rant" that metal and shape make the difference. 8620 alloy steel can be cast or forged. If one is cast and one forged in the exact same shape, grind, weight, blah, blah No one will be able to tell a difference. If you take that same cast 8620 and compare it in the same shape to a 1018 wedge then yes there are people that will be able to tell a difference.

The fact that most cast clubs are 8620(rarely), 431, or 17-4 stainless and most forged are 1020, 1025, 1018 is the reason why people believe forged feels softer than a cast club, because forged clubs are made out of softer metals.

Sorry, but Im not yet convinced that there is no difference from cast to forged. The process alone is going to cause difference because pouring the molten metal into a mold is going to cause more air pockets.

Not sure if that was directed to me, but I say in my mini "rant" that metal and shape make the difference. 8620 alloy steel can be cast or forged. If one is cast and one forged in the exact same shape, grind, weight, blah, blah No one will be able to tell a difference. If you take that same cast 8620 and compare it in the same shape to a 1018 wedge then yes there are people that will be able to tell a difference.

The fact that most cast clubs are 8620(rarely), 431, or 17-4 stainless and most forged are 1020, 1025, 1018 is the reason why people believe forged feels softer than a cast club, because forged clubs are made out of softer metals.

Yet the one club that you would want the best feel on is a wedge and the two top wedges according to the PGA Tour players and most club makers are cast. Yet some say how much they love the feel. The fact is, amateurs regurgitate what is told to them and they were told that forged is softer, so they believe that is the case.

No worries, Chris. It does make sense when you look at what TYPE of metal/alloy is used to make each club that one made of a harder metal wouldn't have the soft feel of another one made of a softer metal.

For my game, I might be able to tell the difference but I'm so inconsistant that the feel doesn't help me a lot - I just need a ton of forgiveness and a better swing. :beat-up:

Yet the one club that you would want the best feel on is a wedge and the two top wedges according to the PGA Tour players and most club makers are cast.
The question is though, would that still be the case if it werent for Acushnet's marketing hype and willingness to sponsor everyone and anyone to use their stuff?
Yet some say how much they love the feel. The fact is, amateurs regurgitate what is told to them and they were told that forged is softer, so they believe that is the case.
In the case of wedges, Ive used cast wedges (Vokeys and Pings) and Ive used forged wedges (Mizunos) and I much prefer the feel of the forgings. Im basing it off of personal experience, not "regurgitating" what Ive been told. :wink:

But Bake, Clevelands are cast too, and they do not market at all like Acushnet. As for your choice of Mizunos. Lets be honest here. If Mizuno's next wedges were cast, you would still play them and proclaim them your wedge of choice as well. You are brand loyal and that is the choice you make. Mizunos do not feel different because they are forged. They feel different like all their irons do. You like the feel because of their makeup and the Mizzie name, not because of the fact that they are forged. They make great clubs, no question about it. I cant blame you.

Sorry, but Im not yet convinced that there is no difference from cast to forged. The process alone is going to cause difference because pouring the molten metal into a mold is going to cause more air pockets.

20 years ago yes. Today, No. With all of the advances with vacuum casting and force casting the air bubble issue is dead.

But Bake, Clevelands are cast too, and they do not market at all like Acushnet. As for your choice of Mizunos. Lets be honest here. If Mizuno's next wedges were cast, you would still play them and proclaim them your wedge of choice as well. You are brand loyal and that is the choice you make. Mizunos do not feel different because they are forged. They feel different like all their irons do. You like the feel because of their makeup and the Mizzie name, not because of the fact that they are forged. They make great clubs, no question about it. I cant blame you.
It depends. If Mizuno's next wedges were better, yes, I would play them. However, Mizuno wont come out with cast wedges because they know forgings are better.
If Im so brand-loyal as you say, why am I not playing Mizuno golfballs? Why did I experient with Pings?
The fact is that for me, Mizunos work and they work very well. You may view that as being brand-loyal but the way I see it, why mess with something that works?
Ive seen the cross sections of clubheads that shows the added air pockets in cast clubs, so until someone convinces me otherwise; the whole "cast is just as good as forged" thing is just marketing hype on the part of club companies who prefer the less expensive cast method of making clubheads. :wink:
The excuse of, "Vokeys are cast and they are popular so cast must be just as good" doesnt work with me. :confused2:
In the case of Cleveland, Cleveland has also made forged wedges and infact, Roger Cleveland designed the X-Forged wedges for Callaway. So, obviously there must be some advantage to forgings if Roger Cleveland is investing time and money in making them.

Sunset my comments were not directed at anyone in particular. I will be retiring to Calabash in about 10 years, already have the property. Love Sunset Beach. Metal and shape make a difference, the process is of little consequence.

I actually find the ball I use has more of an effect on feel than the clubs. It is one of the reasons I like tour quality balls. People need to get off the air pocket thing, just not true anymore.

Nobody put it like that bake. And I know for sure if Mizzie balls were readily available here you would play them. Nobody is saying you shouldnt play them by the way. But I think I will stick to the experts here. If Tom Stites the master designer from Mizuno and now Nike (both of which forge their wedges) tell me there is no difference, I am going to go with the experts. Also, Mizuno does NOT forge necessarily because they think it is better. It is also a genius marketing tool.

When you speak to over 40 experts including those that forge clubs and they tell you that there is NO difference, I am thinking that they may be onto something.

Yet the one club that you would want the best feel on is a wedge and the two top wedges according to the PGA Tour players and most club makers are cast. Yet some say how much they love the feel. The fact is, amateurs regurgitate what is told to them and they were told that forged is softer, so they believe that is the case.

OK, I think Vokey's are cast out of 8620. Mizuno uses 1025(high carbon content which is the 25 designation) but it is softer than 8620. However by the time you plate the 1025 and the 8620 I would wager that in the same design not many would be able to tell a difference in the two metals with a similar shape.

Maybe the actual headshape of the vokey dampens vibration. It is just impossible to compare two different designs out of two different metals and then add plating or no plating and the water gets even muddier.

It depends. If Mizuno's next wedges were better, yes, I would play them. However, Mizuno wont come out with cast wedges because they know forgings are better.
If Im so brand-loyal as you say, why am I not playing Mizuno golfballs? Why did I experient with Pings?
The fact is that for me, Mizunos work and they work very well. You may view that as being brand-loyal but the way I see it, why mess with something that works?
Ive seen the cross sections of clubheads that shows the added air pockets in cast clubs, so until someone convinces me otherwise; the whole "cast is just as good as forged" thing is just marketing hype on the part of club companies who prefer the less expensive cast method of making clubheads. :wink:
The excuse of, "Vokeys are cast and they are popular so cast must be just as good" doesnt work with me. :confused2:
In the case of Cleveland, Cleveland has also made forged wedges and infact, Roger Cleveland designed the X-Forged wedges for Callaway. So, obviously there must be some advantage to forgings if Roger Cleveland is investing time and money in making them.

So let me guess a Mizuno commercial showed you the air pockets in the castings or some other forged company touted that casting has air pockets. Well of course they did, just like the Hammer will add 50 yards to your drive, and you do not need stiffness ratings on shafts and you need to scream pow when you hit the ball. A company saying something they make is better is going to show you an outdated version of the competing technology to make you want to "DRINK THE KOOLAID."

It is all marketing. I have no dog in this fight, I do not make irons or wedges, I have no reason to say cast is just as good. Get online and do research into new casting methods that golf and other companies are now employing.

I like forgings better because I personally like the feel of 1025 and lower steel, I have tested a 8620 cast and 8620 forged look a like head. There is no difference in feel or anything else, but 8620 will never be as soft as 1025, 1020, s25c or any of the other carbon steel. I like soft carbon, always have, always will, on that I will agree with you.

Sunset my comments were not directed at anyone in particular. I will be retiring to Calabash in about 10 years, already have the property. Love Sunset Beach. Metal and shape make a difference, the process is of little consequence.

I actually find the ball I use has more of an effect on feel than the clubs. It is one of the reasons I like tour quality balls. People need to get off the air pocket thing, just not true anymore.

Cool, hopefully your property is not in Kingfish Bay. I ate at Ella's last night in Calabash with some friends and family that came in town for a visit.

THE BALL IS A BIG DIFFERENCE MAKER.

Take a Prov1, Tour D Nike, B330s, Callaway Tour i or ix and compare them with a NON INSERT putter.

I guarantee you will be able to tell which is the callaway blind folded. I love the callaway tee to green, but on the putting green it feels like an old Top-Flite.

I'm probably not going to make friends with this but what I wanna know is can anybody put on a blind fold empty a bag of M & M 's into a bowl pick 10 random ones out and tell me ALL of their colors just by taste.........cuz if you can then I MIGHT buy into the feel thing........otherwise it's your conscious/subconscious telling you that you "will" hit these better because x brand iron is forged so it "will" feel better, thus you do everything right and hit a good shot because you had the confidence to do so in the first place!

BTW not purposefully trying to be divisive but I would argue that it's all "hype". Here is my analogy, bear with me it's REAAALLLY long:

Look at the professional and tactical shooting world, hype/tradtion/etc said to be accurate in long range competition you needed bolt action, long barreled rifles with custom loaded ammo. Thus shorter barreled, AR platform long guns were "inaccurate". Yet this was largely due to less sophisticated steels, optics, etc. Also most of today's high-end factory ammo would be labeled as super-custom just 10 years ago. Far as accuracy of an AR, proper building will give you sub MOA at 100yrds and almost 1200 yrd in under 4 MOA's with either a .308 or 6.5grendel brass.

When it comes to optics and barrel lengths, in the past they needed longer barrels to get more accurate shots with iron sights. With the amount of tech being poured into battle sights we have discovered that shorter handier barrels with electronic sights and bullet drop compensation are just, if not more, accurate under battle rifle scenarios out to and exceeding 500 yrds. I mean the TA31RCO-M4 ACOG 4x32 used by the USMC is effective with a "patrol" barreled M4 (14-16in) with a head-shot range to approx 200-250 yards, and the silhouette range to 500-600 yards, yet this flies DIRECTLY in the face of pretty much all the hype from the past 30+ years of so called "tactical" and "professional" shooting.

So I say all that to say I agree with original poster and call shens on everything else till I got proof in front of me! My one caveat is that we only compare MODERN cast vs forged as previously stated early ones were bad but then again we are not living in the 70's, 80's or whenever the heck they came out, don't know, and probably wasn't old enough to care! :D

The combination of process improvement and x-ray inspection can virtually eliminate any such issues. I was a machinist for 33 years and I milled innumerable investment castings during that time. By the time I retired, I almost never had to reject a casting for porosity. Most such issues were either eliminated from the process or the defects were detected and rejected at the foundry.

My opinion on the feel issue: Feel is more a matter of ball striking, club shape, and the ball itself than it is the material the club is made from. I really think that a lot of what most players call "feel" is more just solid ball striking. What good players call feel is the feedback they get from the club, both from good hits and from off center hits. What most average players call feel is actually the lack of feedback... The club feels good, as opposed to the club has good feel. A soft plastic ball is not really going to care much whether it's hit with a club made from 1020 carbon steel or 17-4 stainless. Both are immeasurably hard as far as the ball is concerned. But a classic blade IS going to feel much different from a perimeter weighted club, no matter what the material or the manufacturing technique. My opinion anyway.

Awesome info and debate gentlemen...That is why I love this site...Such a cross section of people that speak from the "Feel" side as well as the "Engineering" side.

I will actually be able to give my side once my new clubs come in... I amturning in my MPT's for some.....(gonna have to wait on that one)

I agree with a lot of people though that the ball is a big factor....I went from a PROV1X to a Z-Star (tried a sleeve) to hopefully next week some B330-RX's....In my case, the term feel changed as soon as I hit that first Z-Star pure....didnt even feel it off the club..I assume the same thing will happen with the B330RX...

I play blades, period. I honestly don't care if they are forged or cast, as long as they have a thin topline and minimal offset, I am good with that. My last blades were cast and my new blades are forged. When I hit either one well, it feels good and goes far, if I don't they tell me about it immediately. I agree with what everyone says about porosity, it is a thing of the past at most good foundries, even those in foreign countries.

I prefer blades because I really like to work the ball and it is easier to do with a club that has minimal offset. That feature seems to be inherent only in blades, although I did have a set of Maxfli Revolution cavity backs that had a thin topline and minimal offset.

Irons are like automobiles, everyone has their preference and everyone has a valid reason for that preference. That is what makes the world go around.

Back