No. Putter price has little to do with its ability to make putts.

Price doesn't, in itself, correlate to putting success. The right feel, fit, and confidence is the bottom line for me. The craftsmanship and detail of high end putters make them different but not necessarily better.

I can putt just as good or poorly with almost any putter so price isn't the issue. The more important thing is finding a putter I feel confident over. I like certain features of putters that can be found at any price range (flow neck or center shaft) and I also like having something unique so for me that second part tends to drive up the price of what I might buy, well that and knowing lightningbolt44...

And high end putters are much cheaper than watches. Most of the finely crafted putters fall in the $300-$500 range, just the price of 6-10 green fees. Or one green fee at a place like Pebble Beach.

A mid-priced pre-owned Patek Philippe watch can easily set you back $30,000.

I think that is a low price Patek.

Price is generally driven by name, materials, and customization. While you can putt well with any off the rack putter, i personally would rather spend a bit more and get a putter that is fit to my stroke. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in a putting stroke especially since 1* off can make you miss a 10 foot putt.

Seemore makes a good putter; their approach is for you to change your stroke to match their putter design.

I personally went with customizing a putter to match the characteristics of my stroke. That required a custom offset, weight, shaft position, etc.

Price is irrelevant to anyone but the user. If you can putt well with it its gold. If not no amount of money is worth it.

I have a $40 Odyssey in the bag and a Scotty, a Lajosi, and a Piretti Tour in the living room. Cost of putter does not guarantee putts will be holed in any way and for all I know I would putt best with a canoe paddle.

Expensive putters for me are more about the craftsmanship and the experience of owning something really nice than they are about lowering my Putts/Round.

I think people buy for different reasons.
1. Some like new and shiny
2. Some follow the herd
3. Some like the stigma of having a pricey putter (appreciation, craftsmanship etc).
4. Some believe a new putter will help make them a better putter.

Regardless puchase justification will vary from person to person and every now and then im sure people improve their putting with the new expensive purchase.

I buy because I like putters, no more, no less. To me price doesn't matter as long as I think it's worth it.

Recently I started playing golf after a 20 yr. absence. I used to be a pretty good putter back in the day, but since I took up the game again I had averaged 38 putts a round for about 40 rounds. It was killing my scores.

I spent hours in Golf centers trying out different putters. I was all set to put out the cash one day on a Scotty Cameron that I putted with much better than all the rest. I kept putting 20 footers -- 10 at a time. With the Scotty Cameron I was usually making 2 or 3 and, usually, none with all the others. Keep in mind, this was perfect putting conditions putting the same straight putt every time. So, I thought I was sold on the Scotty Cameron.

What I hadn't tried was a mallet type putter. I thought, and still think, they are ugly and so didn't even consider them. Then, by chance, I picked up an Odyssey mallet style putter -- one of the biggest and ugliest. I putted 10 from 20 feet and made 6 of them. So, I putted 10 more and made 4 of them. So, I putted 10 more and made 5. That's 15 out of 30 with an ugly putter. I grabbed that putter and paid my $179 and went home happy.

I only played 10 rounds with that putter before the snow came to stay in Northern Michigan. I averaged 33 putts per 18 in those ten rounds. I went the first 3 rounds with no 3 putts. For me, this putter has been amazing. I seem to be able to line the putts up better, but the real improvement has been distance control. Even on long putts I'm, now, rarely more than 2-3 ft. from the hole. That's a big difference for me.

So, I was ready to pull the trigger on the $325 putter, but, for me, the $179 Odyssey was the best choice.

Later,

John

Nope. A $300 Cameron is no better than a $150 Odyssey, IMO. Ive owned both and both of them roll the ball equally well. When you buy a Cameron, you are really paying more for the name, the craftsmanship and the prestige behind it.
Dont get me wrong, Scotty Cameron makes beautiful, well-crafted putters but IMO they perform no better than any other putter Ive ever used.

If you can roll the rock like a champ with a $10.00 putter or $1000.00 putter whats the difference. Roll the rock with what works for you. For me, I haven't found that magical putter yet but then again I really haven't tired that many either. LOL

But if in my case, a $10.00 one would let me putt like never before and sink the rock all the time, Hell it would be priceless to me.

So no I don't think price has any effect on choice or stature. But there are those that collect them for uniqueness, quality, etc and there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are some that collect putters that will just stare at them but never roll them not he course, thats all good too.

I used to collect lighters, and I never put gas in them or lit them, some cost $5.00 some cost $500.00, sometimes is all about the chase of getting the item you want.

As long as the specs match your stroke, you should be fine with any putter.

With that being said, there is something about the craftmanship and detail of a high end putter.

As long as the specs match your stroke, you should be fine with any putter.

With that being said, there is something about the craftmanship and detail of a high end putter.

I think that's the beauty of the more handcrafted market... Price is driven by interest, and it changes if interest wanes.

The idea of having something that works for you, looks right for your eye, and feels good when you think about it... Sometimes the price can get quite high -- And rightfully so.

Back