How do you stay interested/busy during winter?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m curious how all you members stay interested in golf when you can’t play for 3-5 months? What keeps the blood flowing?

The hope of spring and playing decent golf out to the gate keeps me interested. Plus the fact that I just plain love the game... The passion doesn't die just because it gets cold

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Being completely honest, I don't. I move on to other things for a couple months. Once new releases start getting announced, then I start to pay closer attention again. Once it gets to February or so I've got the itch bad and will start going to the simulator and getting things ready for the season. By April, Michigan is about ready to play golf.

I put up with a lot of crap living in Houston but nice winter weather is a great perk. I hope to play and practice all winter.

Concentrate on fitness, practice putting in basement, and sim golf. Hopefully a mid-winter trip down south again will break up the winter doldrums.

I usually buy things in the offseason

try to go south and play a few times during winter.

Also tend to get out a few times when its not snowy.

and top golf helps

I will have a couple lessons, go to the range to work on the things from my lessons, and if the weather permits, I will get out and play a few holes at my course

I do have the option of indoor simulators where I have my lessons, so I might head there and play a few rounds on various courses

Honestly I don't do much during the winter other than THP. Some years the winter is a welcome break that makes you miss it so bad and others not so much. Even going to the heated range the balls are still cold and feel like rocks which doesn't make for much fun. I don't put much stock in simulators other than a fun night out. However, now knowing that the Morgan Cup is in March this is one of those years I'm going to have to find a way to get some work in. Odds are unless I travel to play actually playing golf is very sketchy around here before April but occasionally we do get a rare nice day here and there.

1. THP
2. Watching golf on TV
3. Neighbor's indoor sim
4. Putting in the basement

Putt every nite on my birdie ball green. Only use it in the winter. Visit golf stores during the week. Actually I do that so much I bring some of the guys Dunkin Donuts gift cards at Christmas.

I work part time at an indoor place so that works too.

One of the few times a year you will find me at TopGolf honestly.. They crank the heaters hard enough to make it bearable at 30-40 degrees down here as long as its not super windy. But if i'm being honest most of my time is spent in a hunting blind when it's that cold.

There's a restaurant that opened the next town over from me that has a couple simulators. It's nice to get in there to swing and have some food and drinks over the winter. Besides that, it's a lot of basement putting and THPing.

It's nice having a TopGolf, actually 2 close by, that's pretty much it besides scrolling here on THP and watching some on TV.

We play as long as the weather allows. I have a friend installing a sim in his house this year so hopefully enjoying that. Other wise, I just occupy my time with other things.

while the weather here in the southcoast of MA/RI is not near ideal, it isn't completely horrid. Being on the coast of the Atlantic, many times we are on the edge of the snowline, often leaning into rain, and the temp will stay above freezing. If the ground isn't frozen and the wind is not up, i have no problem going to my hose course and walking a round. There is usually a period of weeks where the ground is frozen and snow covered and it really is no big deal not to play.

.....THP

I think the winter season gets me MORE interested in golf to be honest. Hearing about new tech/releases and not being able to play gets me amped up for the season. I'll usually set up a workout plan for myself so that I'm ready to walk 18 out the gate come March/April. One big change this year is that I moved out of New York City so I have a ton of options for range time over the winter.

I think there are some offseasons here where I'm more active than during the season.

Equipment is always coming out end of year, so that's something that draws me in. And I often end up taking lessons/working on my game in the offseason rather than in season, where I'd rather use my time to just get out on the course, play, and have fun.

Since I no longer have one of those pesky jobs, I go to Gulf Shores for 3 months. :bye:

Mainly following the new releases on THP, and following along with the conversation.

Funny enough in the past week I have gotten the "itch" again. Pulled out a couple putters, started putting in the basement, started setting up a new club repair station........ this could be a long winter!

I try to put golf on the "back burner" during December thru February. I spend a lot of time catching up on my reading. BUT, we do occasionally get a mild day, and when that happens its off to the golf course.

Sim golf, work on some things in the off season in there. Gym...THP. I stay plenty interested and focused in the winter!

Luckily I have 2 heated ranges, indoor dome, top golf and PGATSS all near me. I go with a rotation of those spots along with some basement putting and equipment pondering.

Back in NY, it was the offseason when the club 'ho within me would stir. It was easy to stay connected to golf while I voraciously poured over all of the equipment info that I could manage.

Then I'd often buy numerous clubs (was usually drivers) off ebay for golf range death matches.

Local place had heated stalls, they weren't perfect but definitely blunted the chill.

Back