Left handed golfer - adjusting my driver lie angle and perimeter weighting

C.H.U.D.

Reaction score
Handicap
This may be a silly question, but when adjusting my driver's lie angle and shot shape as a left handed golfer, would I just reverse what would be recommended for a right hander? i.e. If a RH golfer is missing right, the recommendation is to adjust the lie angle and perimeter weighting for a draw. I tend to miss the fairway to the left about 37% of the time, and in the 35% where I'm on the fairway off the tee, I'm generally on the left side of the fairway. Would I follow the same recommendation of adjusting for a draw? Thanks!

5fa12bea2a90fe364c66f548f8de5471.png

If you want to encourage a draw then the suggestion should be the same?

I would have thought the recommendation would say to move the perimeter weighting towards the heel which, regardless of which way you play, means moving the weight in the same direction relative to the hosel of the club - towards the heel for a draw and towards the toe for a fade

That then eliminates saying move the weight left or right depending on whether you are left or right-handed

If you want to encourage a draw then the suggestion should be the same?

I would have thought the recommendation would say to move the perimeter weighting towards the heel which, regardless of which way you play, means moving the weight in the same direction relative to the hosel of the club - towards the heel for a draw and towards the toe for a fade

That then eliminates saying move the weight left or right depending on whether you are left or right-handed

Thanks for the quick reply and thoughts. Maybe I overcomplicated my question. Lol. My basic question is whether all of the physics and associated terminology are flipped for lefty golfers. Meaning that what actually happens with hooks and slices, draws and fades are reversed for lefties. A righty golfer hooks to the left and slices to the right, but a lefty golfer hooks to the right and slices to the left. Same flipped interpretation of draw and fade.

Thanks for the quick reply and thoughts. Maybe I overcomplicated my question. Lol. My basic question is whether all of the physics and associated terminology are flipped for lefty golfers. Meaning that what actually happens with hooks and slices, draws and fades are reversed for lefties. A righty golfer hooks to the left and slices to the right, but a lefty golfer hooks to the right and slices to the left. Same flipped interpretation of draw and fade.

Yes, you are correct in your thinking there

"Draw" and "fade" are in perspective to the handedness of the golfer. Just in looking at your stats there (very handy, BTW), I'm not sure I'd want to immediately bring that ball flight to more draw (left to right for a lefty). Based on the stats, you have a bit of a 2 way miss. If your misses to the right aren't well right, you could help try to eliminate some of the left side by switching some bias to draw. But if you are missing both ways and aren't constricting the spread, you might just trade left for right. No other way than to try and find out!

"Draw" and "fade" are in perspective to the handedness of the golfer. Just in looking at your stats there (very handy, BTW), I'm not sure I'd want to immediately bring that ball flight to more draw (left to right for a lefty). Based on the stats, you have a bit of a 2 way miss. If your misses to the right aren't well right, you could help try to eliminate some of the left side by switching some bias to draw. But if you are missing both ways and aren't constricting the spread, you might just trade left for right. No other way than to try and find out!

Thanks! Wifey got me the Arccos system for my b-day this year, and it's been a great help. Most of my misses to the right are when I over-adjust my setup to try and compensate for my tendency to go left. I think I am going to give a slight draw adjustment a shot for my next round.

Back