Need wedge grind help.

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
I replaced my old Cleveland 60* with a rtx 3.0 a couple years ago and since then have struggled with really tight lies. I end up stubbing the club alot. Looking to find correct grind for me. Pics for comparison.
b8947138952a75cd552c815f907f354f.jpg
4c6bba62aac084e6b6413fb7036d7117.jpg
c12c2b9b2d1ec4dc1cdb60cf618d2f4d.jpg
d9ac9da8a556c6ce428c87e1a65e0602.jpg
88c7b825f68f6197c3f2dbcb836f1ed8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maybe try the ATV grind on TM milled grind wedges. Looks similar

maybe try the ATV grind on TM milled grind wedges. Looks similar
I'll take a peek but trying to stay with Cleveland as I like the weight of the head, durability, and look.

Look at a Callaway X Grind. Very similar to your old wedge with more bounce. I'm not sure I get what "stubbing" means, but it'd help with some information on your swing and how you use the club as well.

i don't know how they got the bounce numbers on the rtx-3 but the leading esge on the rtx-4 sits much lower with the same bounce number

a cheaper option would be the wilson pmp tour grind

the cheapest option would be to take a grinder or a file to the V-sole of the rtx-3

I had the same issue when I tried to switch to a Cleveland CBX 60 degree lw. Everything was chunky so I went to a Vokey SM7 S grind and love it. I also got the D grind when I need a little more bounce. My next choice would have been the Callaway MD4 in C grind but I got the Vokey off Ebay and fell in love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a peek but trying to stay with Cleveland as I like the weight of the head, durability, and look.

No problem. Decided to go straight to the source and tweeted Noelle for help getting current model product with similar grind for you. But with @JB and @schanker @tomcat there at HQ today or tomorrow, I’m sure you’ll have an answer soon from one of the 4.

Look at a Callaway X Grind. Very similar to your old wedge with more bounce. I'm not sure I get what "stubbing" means, but it'd help with some information on your swing and how you use the club as well.
Stubbing=digging in. I almost never take full swing with this club, used primarily greenside, in bunkers, and touch shots from short of the green. I tend to get steep with this club and will sometimes go right under the ball. I played old 60* last time out and it seems to "slide" better.

No problem. Decided to go straight to the source and tweeted Noelle for help getting current model product with similar grind for you. But with @JB and @schanker @tomcat there at HQ today or tomorrow, I’m sure you’ll have an answer soon from one of the 4.

We'll be there tomorrow starting at 9 am PST. Hopefully, I'll become very knowledge on the subject. But with what I think I know now, it sounds like you need more bounce. I have the opposite problem, I'm more likely to thin one over the green because I can be too shallow.

We'll be there tomorrow starting at 9 am PST. Hopefully, I'll become very knowledge on the subject. But with what I think I know now, it sounds like you need more bounce. I have the opposite problem, I'm more likely to thin one over the green because I can be too shallow.

Looks like Schanker was correct. Here is Noelle’s response
6a01e812f0cf5956457f3e2cc8b259a1.jpg

Typically for tight lies I think you would want to go with a lower bounce wedge. Your RTX-3 looks to be a "2-dot" which is their standard bounce. You might try the "1-dot", which is their low bounce. I've got Cleveland RTX-2.0 wedges. and my 60 is a low bounce "1=dot". It works great from hard tight lies, light to moderate rough, and the almost sandless bunkers so many of the courses around here have (minimum sand over hard-pan). The one lie that is a killer for this wedge, for me at least, is the tight lie with soft ground, in which case I'll go to a different wedge with more bounce.

Last edited:
Stubbing=digging in. I almost never take full swing with this club, used primarily greenside, in bunkers, and touch shots from short of the green. I tend to get steep with this club and will sometimes go right under the ball. I played old 60* last time out and it seems to "slide" better.

More bounce! I'd consider something with at least 11* of bounce with that heel and toe relief. The Callaway X Grind is just that [and it's designed by a guy named Cleveland (RFC!!!)]. I hate to say it but there are no options in the RTX4 with a lot of bounce and what they have in bounce is in the CBX, which is probably not what you are looking for in shape. Maybe a FULL RTX-4 would do the trick you need, but that might be sacrificing a little bit of versatility in opening the face and such.

Screw it -- if you're "stubbing", I take it to mean you're digging. I assume you want a wedge that goes smoothly through the turf and is good in tight lies.

At the same time, I invariably will get a "stub" when I use too much arm, not enough turn through the ball.

Both of those soles look fairly narrow. You don't need a narrow sole to work on tight lies. I'm proof. See my signature - 60-10 with relief. Perhaps take a look at a slightly wider sole with relief at the heel and trailing edge and a rounded leading edge so it does not dig as easily with about 8-10 of bounce.

Back