Staring 40 in the face

@mr.hicksta Just think 10 more and you are eligible for the senior menu at Denny's :act-up:

Do you want to compare birth dates?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
I think you've got this one gramps. My birth year doesn't start with 18. LoL

@mr.hicksta Just think 10 more and you are eligible for the senior menu at Denny's :act-up:

I think you've got this one gramps. My birth year doesn't start with 18. LoL

At least my birth year doesn't have B.C. after it...lol

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I've never cared about birthdays much, but for whatever reason I've been struggling coming to terms with turning 40 most of this year. I'm not sure why, but knowing it's coming up (just over two months away as I type this) has really been a burden at certain points over the course of 2018. The unexpected source of anxiety has a silver lining in that it has been a source of motivation to stay active, but still causes me to get in my own head from time to time. Since I'm posting about this, I suppose this is one of those days when the thought is causing me some angst, which is why I made this thread. I'm sure this will come off as ridiculous to some, but I'm curious, how do the rest of you face getting older?

While I can’t help with the older perspective, just know you have a great family, more golf in your future, and your lowest scores are in your future. PLENTY of great things a head. Oh. And Hawaii.

Your the man, brother. Nothing to worry about.

Passed that mark over 13 years ago. Keep being you and stay young as long as you can! Just another day brotha you're well ahead of this age game.

As my mom always said about getting older "It's a heck of a lot better than the alternative"

I like the fact I can get senior discounts at quite a few places. Love saving money.

Like OG I too remember the first Airman younger than my service time. That was over 25 years ago. I’m 63. Apparently I don’t feel old. I always forget to ask for those senior discounts. Of course that could be another issue. LOL.
My wife makes me eat well. We go to the gym daily (recent occurrence). Can play golf every day! Aleeve is you drug of choice.
I may be only 2/3rds there. Or 99/100ths. Doesn’t matter. Enjoy each day. When in doubt, move up one set of tees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed that mark over 13 years ago. Keep being you and stay young as long as you can! Just another day brotha you're well ahead of this age game.

Damn.... that’s old.... Somehow you pull it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose there is silver lining to the senior menu when I get to that point, but for now I'll take the feeling of satisfaction when I get carded :wink:. For real, I appreciate the kind words and I definitely agree, focusing on the present, accepting the fact we all get older with every second that passes and making the most of the time we do have is the best approach. I think for me, the acceptance part is the key so I'm just going to focus on that from this point forward!

40 is nothing compared to 50.

You're thinking it backwards. You're not facing 40, you're breaking 40. Good things are coming your way.

- lower center of gravity. Not shoulders or chest anymore but waist. Better stability!
- perimeter weighting. Improves your MOI and forgiveness to a new level
- the silver lining is actually charming according to research (funded by 40-somethings)
- daily wheel of fortune. Grand prizes are seasonal flu, back ache, stomach flu and several other good reasons not to get up and go to work
- you get to wear reading glasses, another sign of intellect

Compared thirties, when you need to build career, make an expression every day, stay on top of things all the time etc, this is the golden era. 42 here so I know what I'm talking about :D

Let's list these again when we're 50 :)

Not a lot you can do about getting older unfortunately, but supposedly the longer you live, the more you appreciate life and what you have had

I am nearer 50 than 40 (just) and other than some weight gain due to injuries I still feel good
Losing my dad earlier this year admittedly brings your own mortality to mind, but when I look at what my parents did and the words that were spoken at his funeral it made me realise that you just have to enjoy life

What would you rather be? 40, or not here?

Still a couple of years to go, but for some reason 40 is bugging me. 30 was fine, no issues. Mid-life crisis starting?

Looking at 60 in January so be happy with 40, you still have time to get things done and wise enough to dodge the problems of youth.

Only real advice I can offer is to keep up your fitness and avoid heavy weight lifting.....

I get it, turning 40 was the toughest for me. I'm now 55 and turning 50 didn't bother me that much. Lately I've caught myself thinking about turning 60 and it is freaking me out a little.

I get it, turning 40 was the toughest for me. I'm now 55 and turning 50 didn't bother me that much. Lately I've caught myself thinking about turning 60 and it is freaking me out a little.

I have more diffficulty with the "x5" birthdays than the decade ones. Because you have to check the next survey box. When I was 44, that's cool - I was still lumped in with the folks in their 30s, the box was "35-44." You turn 45, though, and suddenly you're hangin' with the over 50s, "45-54."

40 is the new 30. You've got 10 more years to worry about 40 again. :D

40 is the new 30. You've got 10 more years to worry about 40 again. :D

With another decade of experience to understand exactly how bad it’s going to be and this worry more effectively!

I've never cared about birthdays much, but for whatever reason I've been struggling coming to terms with turning 40 most of this year. I'm not sure why, but knowing it's coming up (just over two months away as I type this) has really been a burden at certain points over the course of 2018. The unexpected source of anxiety has a silver lining in that it has been a source of motivation to stay active, but still causes me to get in my own head from time to time. Since I'm posting about this, I suppose this is one of those days when the thought is causing me some angst, which is why I made this thread. I'm sure this will come off as ridiculous to some, but I'm curious, how do the rest of you face getting older?

As I approach my milestone birthdays (next one is 50 :bulgy-eyes: ) I reflect on life a bit, be thankful for all the good blessings, ponder some things I might have done differently, then smile because all my siblings have already been past that milestone for at least 5 years :banana:

It is no big deal i turned 50 this year and love it. Enjoy your life have fun and keep doing what you do.

As I approach my milestone birthdays (next one is 50 :bulgy-eyes: ) I reflect on life a bit, be thankful for all the good blessings, ponder some things I might have done differently, then smile because all my siblings have already been past that milestone for at least 5 years :banana:

Funny.... I ponder some things I might have done differently too.... but $uck it... respect your elders

Damn.... that’s old.... Somehow you pull it off!

I would give you a high five but you might hurt your back bending over as I reach up to give it old man.

I would give you a high five but you might hurt your back bending over as I reach up to give it old man.

Agreed... I’d ask how you knew my back hurts..... then again it always does at this age

I’m 3 months from Medicare, 40 is just a distant memory and 50 wasn’t too bad because I retired 2 months later. 60 hit me by surprise and I felt a little old. I’ll be a little out of sorts when the Medicare Card shows up in the mail.... Life goes on when you’re on the right side of the grass...
Just enjoy the ride....

Getting older is just a certainty that I am good with. Each day that I am able to enjoy life is a blessing no matter the obstacles I face. I’m living my life and get to share in the lives of my children. I get to watch them and their wonderment.

Getting old is what it is for me. It’s something I can’t stop nor do I think I’d ever want to. I just go at each day with as much as I can each day. As long as I am still able to do that, I’m good.

Back