Staring 40 in the face

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I've never cared about birthdays much, but for whatever reason I've been struggling coming to terms with turning 40 most of this year. I'm not sure why, but knowing it's coming up (just over two months away as I type this) has really been a burden at certain points over the course of 2018. The unexpected source of anxiety has a silver lining in that it has been a source of motivation to stay active, but still causes me to get in my own head from time to time. Since I'm posting about this, I suppose this is one of those days when the thought is causing me some angst, which is why I made this thread. I'm sure this will come off as ridiculous to some, but I'm curious, how do the rest of you face getting older?

I think a lot of dudes around here would have loved to look like a 40 yro mr.hicksta when they were 25, haha

Stop talking absolute bollocks!!!!! I freaked when I turned 30. Didn’t get a **** when I turned 40 (surprisingly), but now I’m 45, I can’t help think that in 5 years, I’m ****ing 50!!!! 50 was grandpa age when I was growing up. I’d save your worrying for another 10 years if I was you LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am uncomfortably close to 50...so I feel the weirdness too.

However, you’re only as old as you feel. So laugh at immature jokes!

You are young enough to be my son. :)

Today's 40 isn't yesterday's 40. I don't "face" getting older. It's simply a part of life and I accept that. In some ways age is irrelevant and is more of a function of how one perceives it, e.g., I am 65 now, so I need a cane, or I certainly don't feel 65, and continues to walk 18 holes. This is an oversimplification, but it's all good.

I would hate to see what you will be like in 10 years when you are staring down the half century mark! Lol.

I really never have felt any stress or anxiety about turning any certain age. Thought 50 (3.75 years ago) would get to me but getting all new clubs, with graphite shafts across the board for the 1st time, for that milestone definitely eased any pain that I may have felt.

I think a lot of dudes around here would have loved to look like a 40 yro mr.hicksta when they were 25, haha

It has proven to be excellent motivation :wink:

Keep active, keep your hobbies and laugh at your own jokes.

I had an 18/19 year old girl ask for my ID at the liquor store over the summer. She had to take a second look when it said 1977, take the little wins when you get them. Lol

For some reason 40 was easy for me. Feel like it is kind of hitting your stride. Enjoy it and celebrate it, because then you turn 41

Keep active, keep your hobbies and laugh at your own jokes.

I had an 18/19 year old girl ask for my ID at the liquor store over the summer. She had to take a second look when it said 1977, take the little wins when you get them. Lol

Haha, I got my ID checked a couple weeks ago and laughed out loud when I handed the clerk my ID. I'm clean shaven most of the time though so I do have a youngish looking face.

Haha, I got my ID checked a couple weeks ago and laughed out loud when I handed the clerk my ID. I'm clean shaven most of the time though so I do have a youngish looking face.

Haha. Nice dude. I’m sure you know that there is something satisfying about going to the gym and realizing your in better shape than people half your age.

Maybe go buy a fancy 2 door convertible sports car. Lol.

Haha. Nice dude. I’m sure you know that there is something satisfying about going to the gym and realizing your in better shape than people half your age.

I told the wife all that damn club swapping constituted my midlife crisis :rofl:

Nothing like a good ol’ mid life crisis! I bought my first motorcycle at 43 LOL.

I'll be 39 next year, so I understand how you feel. I guess that I view aging different. I feel like I get better every year. I feel like Im stronger, more confident and more sure of who I am and what I want out of life. I may be closing in on 40 but I still feel young, so I dont really worry about it.
Honestly, if you gave me the chance to go back to when I was 25, I wouldnt trade who I am now for being able to be 25 again.

Look at it this way, Josh; you are in better shape than most people in their 20's/30's, you are wiser, friendly as f*$k, awesome to be around and overall a great dude. Plus you have a beautiful family. I think 40 ain't got poop on you.

You probably won't notice too many changes (other than needing reading glasses) in your 40's, but, stuff happens in your 50's. And, all you can do is to enjoy the ride, because, there isn't any going back.

Not a big deal really as the alternative to not turning 40 is not what you want. You are in your prime brother, enjoy it.

I'm in the same boat, turning 40 in April. 30 wasn't a big deal, but this feels different.

Being replaced by two 20 year olds huh? Well, you can always hook up with @ScrapIron I've heard that he makes bank as a stripper on the nursing home circuit. :alien:

Being well on the downhill slide to 60 myself, I can say other than the occasional random pain for no reason and the co-eds calling you sir, it's really not a big deal. You take care of yourself and eat well (if that green smoothie thing is eating well) which really is the key to aging gracefully.

Look at it this way, Josh; you are in better shape than most people in their 20's/30's, you are wiser, friendly as f*$k, awesome to be around and overall a great dude. Plus you have a beautiful family. I think 40 ain't got poop on you.

Let's compare!
I'm 35, turning 36 in two months, no wife, no girlfriend (unless I'm counting my left hand), lonely AF, out of shape, Asian in a majority Caucasian part of California, still renting, a job that I dread, haven't traveled in 4 years, golf game is non-existent, crappy car, etc. :bye:
I'm still happy with my life.
You're in much better place than most, my friend.

I've never cared about birthdays much, but for whatever reason I've been struggling coming to terms with turning 40 most of this year. I'm not sure why, but knowing it's coming up (just over two months away as I type this) has really been a burden at certain points over the course of 2018. The unexpected source of anxiety has a silver lining in that it has been a source of motivation to stay active, but still causes me to get in my own head from time to time. Since I'm posting about this, I suppose this is one of those days when the thought is causing me some angst, which is why I made this thread. I'm sure this will come off as ridiculous to some, but I'm curious, how do the rest of you face getting older?

You're good. I blew by 40 and 50 and still haven't looked back. They're just numbers. You're in good place physically and mentally. Roll with it and enjoy it. I thought I would have issues but I went and did things I wanted to do for the big birthdays and just had fun. Trust me at 40 years and 1 day you won't feel any different than 39 years and 364 days. Enjoy life brother.

Let's compare!
I'm 35, turning 36 in two months, no wife, no girlfriend (unless I'm counting my left hand), lonely AF, out of shape, Asian in a majority Caucasian part of California, still renting, a job that I dread, haven't traveled in 4 years, golf game is non-existent, crappy car, etc. :bye:
I'm still happy with my life.
You're in much better place than most, my friend.

Dang! Can’t wait to read your post when you turn 40 LOL

I’m rapidly approaching that feeling my self. Just turned 38. 40 is a tough one, too young to be retiring but too old to be a kid.

I’m going with stoic acceptance. And in general obnoxiousness.

Forty ain't no big deal. I realized I was old the first time a new Airman arrived to my flight and I realized she was born AFTER I joined the AF. Anyway, even that was a few years ago now. I realized when I finished 2 marathons and 7 half marathons that "age is just a number" and "you're only as old as you feel" aren't just whitty remarks. Make the best of it and 40 can get its arse kicked just like 30 did.

Back