Graphite Iron Shafts - The New Norm?

Same here. My wedges are next. I have flat out loved the switch to recoils.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have some Program 130s I think will work well in my wedges.

I don't know what it will take but cost and Tour usage have to be major reasons why they are not popular. I've never even tried a graphite shaft in an iron and I buy at least 20 clubs each year. In my view and clearly the in the view of the vast majority of low index golfers , steel is consistent, cheap, durable, and the right weight for an iron shaft. Why would the average golfer who rarely practices(doesn't need the damping benefits of graphite) pay a lot more for shafts that don't help him score better? As far as stigma, I honestly have never played a round of golf with a low single digit golfer that uses graphite shafts in his irons so maybe graphite iron shafts just have a bad image.

As a comparison to a different sport, in cycling composite wheels have been used for almost exclusively by the pros for the last 20 years and have many advantages(and nearly no disadvantages other than price) over aluminum yet most of the riders I see at organized rides are using aluminum wheels. I'm guessing cost is a huge factor, wether it's bike wheels or golf shafts. Not many weekend warriors want to spend an extra few hundred bucks for something when the cheaper option is nearly as good.

Last edited:
I don't know what it what take but cost and Tour usage have to be major reasons why they are not popular. I've never even tried a graphite shaft in an iron and I buy at least 20 clubs each year. In my view and clearly the in the view of the vast majority of low index golfers , steel is consistent, cheap, durable, and the right weight for an iron shaft. Why would the average golfer who rarely practices(doesn't need the damping benefits of graphite) pay a lot more for shafts that don't help him score better? As far as stigma, I honestly have played a round of golf with a low single digit golfer that uses graphite shafts in his irons so maybe graphite iron shafts just have a bad image.

As a comparison to a different sport, in cycling composite wheels have been used for almost exclusively by the pros for the last 20 years and have many advantages(and nearly no disadvantages other than price) over aluminum yet most of the riders I see at organized rides are using aluminum wheels. I'm guessing cost is a huge factor, wether it's bike wheels or golf shafts. Not many weekend warriors want to spend an extra few hundred bucks for something when the cheaper option is nearly as good.

But those same weekend warriors will have graphite shafts in their driver, fairway woods and/or hybrids.

Graphite shafts on irons are terrible. Totally useless. They're all torquey and too light to hit the ball with any consistency. Besides, they look terrible. Good gosh, you can even get them in Pink.

They are for the old, weak and wusses. Real golfers will use steel in their irons.

Of course, I am old, weak and a wuss. Yes, I did change to graphite everything this year. But just because my handicap dropped 6 strokes, almost immediately, with the change, doesn't lessen my shame.

Has anyone seen a graphite putter shaft?:act-up:

Later,

John

It's no stigma. For me it's 10 yds. The graphite shafted irons are two SW lighter and the club weighs less than the steel shafted version. I can swing the club that much faster. The graphite set costs typically $100 - $200 more than a steel shafted set, but it's 10 yds per club. That's allowing me to hit an 8 iron where I would hit a 7 iron. The 8 iron is more accurate.

For me it's the feel and the sound. I tried graphite a few years ago in a demo set and they were really harsh and made a muffled sound when they're hit. I did get a KK in my Titleist wedge last year and so far, it been a good experience, can't tell too much of a difference between it and my other steel wedges and irons. If I can ever find a store that carries Wilson, I plan on trying the Rogue Pro with the C200 IF I can find them.

I play irons that were born with steel shafts and converted.

It wasn't a golf decision for me.

My hands are not great from having boxed as a kid, and they swell more quickly when I hit steel shafts.

Graphite is easier on the hands, just as hickory was.

i tried, then i switched back. i haven't ruled it out, but with the few i've tried i have not liked them.

After being very impressed by composite offerings I've tried, my next set of shafts will be composite for sure.

Graphite shafts on irons are terrible. Totally useless. They're all torquey and too light to hit the ball with any consistency. Besides, they look terrible. Good gosh, you can even get them in Pink.

They are for the old, weak and wusses. Real golfers will use steel in their irons.

Of course, I am old, weak and a wuss. Yes, I did change to graphite everything this year. But just because my handicap dropped 6 strokes, almost immediately, with the change, doesn't lessen my shame.

Later,

John

John you dropped 6 strokes since switching to graphite shafts in your irons and you are not pleased with them, its difficult to follow your logic. And yes, I have seen a graphite shafted putter but I do admit that they are not very popular.

I still don't see it as a norm, but I do see many more going this route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't see it as a norm, but I do see many more going this route

Quite agree. I don't see it as a norm either.
Another putter that sees action in my bag, a Tad Moore Chicopee, has a hickory shaft.
But most putters definitely sport steel.

Later,

John

Really I'm playing 110g recoil in X-Stiff they are every bit of if not more stiff than an x-100. They are silver like a steel shaft and no body could tell they were graphite by looking at my bag unless told so.

What's wrong with a pink shaft? I game purple grips and ferrules on my irons and a purple bag.

Really I'm playing 110g recoil in X-Stiff they are every bit of if not more stiff than an x-100. They are silver like a steel shaft and no body could tell they were graphite by looking at my bag unless told so.

What's wrong with a pink shaft? I game purple grips and ferrules on my irons and a purple bag.

Apparently you're from that state south of here, so, you probably wouldn't understand. You folks are allowed pink, and those of us in the state north of you expect that sort of reasoning.:D

Later,

John

John you dropped 6 strokes since switching to graphite shafts in your irons and you are not pleased with them, its difficult to follow your logic. And yes, I have seen a graphite shafted putter but I do admit that they are not very popular.

No logic -- just an attempt at humor. My humor is almost as bad as my golf game.

Later,

John

Later,

John
I play matrix program f15 120g x flex. Plays every bit as stiff as x100. They are not torquey, whippy, or too light. I swing at about 110 with aggressive load so your misconceptions are just that, misconceptions.

No logic -- just an attempt at humor. My humor is almost as bad as my golf game.

Later,

John

I was following and chuckled at your post. apparently a few people missed the point haha

Sarcasm is hard. Luckily I am fluent :alien:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Later,

John

That post was hilarious! Wait a minute....do you work for PXG?

:wink:

I hit Recoil 125 F4 and F5 shafts at the UST Event and saw little difference between the two so ended up going with the F4's. Maybe I should have tried X-flex, but the 125 F4 (stiff) are NO where near as stiff as X100 shafts. My peak height on FlightScope with the Recoils averaged 145 feet with my 7 iron. I really struggled with control with them and they were flat out awful when I hit them into wind. I was previously fit for KBS Tour X (130 gram) shafts prior to switching to the Recoils. So after some testing with my coach I ended up going back to a 130 gram X flex shaft in the X100. Peak height is now averaging 95 feet with my 7 iron.

The Recoils felt good and did a good job of absorbing any shock, but I think it's a big stretch to try and compare them to X100 shafts.

Last edited:

Later,

John

You would be amazed by how far graphite has come. Plenty of offerings in 125g and STOUT. All loading just fine.

I would absolutely love to get fit for and play graphite... As would my wrists.

I have a set of ProjectX 6.0 graphite shafts just waiting to go into some heads. Now to figure out which irons they will be paired with. It's time to at least dabble in a graphite realm I've been so reluctant to try.

Later,

John

I think there are several people here with defective sarcasm meters! :D

Back