What Do You Want To Learn About Golf Equipment?

Shaft flex and the effects on ball flight. Also club weight and general fitting things.

I'm going to go in a different direction and say I'd like to learn more about the ball. I've played Titleist forever...from Tour Balata to Professional to Pro V1. So many advances over the years...just like to learn more about them.

I'd like to know more about the business side of it.

What are the profit margins on a driver? Iron Set? Putter?
How much $$ goes into R&D and how many clubs need to be sold to break even?
Do the OEM's worry about running into a tech "wall"? I mean, center of gravity can only go so low right?

I do enjoy hearing about generalities of club design, but I am also someone who has always placed sound/feel as an important characteristic for me. I'd like to learn more about how various iron companies approach getting better performance while trying to produce a decent sounding/feeling club. That could be use of different metals, urethane, aluminum, or whatever else they can come up with. That, and placement of the materials in certain portions of the cavity.

Shafts for me. I really want to learn more and going to make an effort to do so... I also think I have gotten to a point in my game where where my swing is repeatable enough to learn if I could benefit from some shaft adjustments

I have always wanted to know more about torque in shafts. I have always had s very compact swing with a fast transition, and am curious what I should be looking at torque wise,and the effect that may have played with swing struggles at times.

I've been reading some on shafts for awhile now. But, I still haven't learned much beyond, bend points, tip stiffness, and the like, and I still don't really know how to relate what I'm learning to my golf swing. There's a lot to learn on the subject.

I think for me it's shaft design and characteristics. I can wrap my head around a lot of the head design concepts, but I'd like to learn more about how shafts are designed, especially w/ graphite in irons.

I would like to know about the testing phase. I understand that there is a concept, then the engineers figure out how to design it and build it, but how does the prototype testing work? is it all robot based? is it all tour players? do average joes (or even their own employees) weigh in? that curiosity goes for all products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flex in shafts and how they can affect ball flights

I would like to know why equipment keeps improving, people get fit for shafts rather routinely now, technology has never been better, but to the best of my knowledge...handicaps haven't improved.

1960 Nicklaus with persimmon and ballatta would still out-drive and outplay all of us:banghead:

I would like to know why equipment keeps improving, people get fit for shafts rather routinely now, technology has never been better, but to the best of my knowledge...handicaps haven't improved.

1960 Nicklaus with persimmon and ballatta would still out-drive and outplay all of us:banghead:

Courses are harder.
Most people actually are not getting fit.
Courses are longer.
More people are golfing.
Less people practice comparatively.

Then lets not forget how many golfers dont keep handicaps and who is...I would argue golfers have gotten way better, but less care about the real handicap.

I want to learn about the design and testing process. How many designs do they go through before getting to a finished product. Do they just let their design team go to work and what they come up with is what they come up with or is their a goal set before hand. If there is a goal what department determines that? Is it marketing and if so how much influence does the marketing team have on a club?

I have a ton more would love to sit down with some people to pick their brain. I have a TON of questions about shafts and why they do certain things.

I have a TON of questions about shafts and why they do certain things.

So I had a really good friend that was really interested in shafts. He got a chance to spend a full day with two of the brightest minds in shafts in the entire industry. His words were "Everything I thought about shafts and the preconceived notions should go out the window, man the internet is funny".

I had to laugh.

Courses are harder.
Most people actually are not getting fit.
Courses are longer.
More people are golfing.
Less people practice comparatively.

Then lets not forget how many golfers dont keep handicaps and who is...I would argue golfers have gotten way better, but less care about the real handicap.

You have your finger on the pulse of golf and I admire that. I have a somewhat unique perspective on golf since I completely walked away for over a decade. Technology has allowed me to recover some of the length I once had, and that is truly incredible. However, courses being longer and harder, I consider that a wash with the new equipment.

I hope more people are playing...it's a great game.

So I had a really good friend that was really interested in shafts. He got a chance to spend a full day with two of the brightest minds in shafts in the entire industry. His words were "Everything I thought about shafts and the preconceived notions should go out the window, man the internet is funny".

I had to laugh.

I know a lot of what is said about shafts online is just regurgitation of something people have seen typed or heard before that is one of the reasons I am so interested in shafts. Actually not even just shafts the misconceptions about equipment and the way certain things work online is amazing to me. Some of the things that are said and commonly believed don't even add up scientifically but somehow because it is a golf club it is different just because certain people say it.

I'd like to learn what really benefits me and what is:

Snake-Oil.jpg

How many years away are we from truly bespoke sets from the major OEMs? I am not talking just shafts here, full on one off sets.

I want to learn more about the physics of the game.

LightningBolt kind of hit on what I was going to say.

Id like to know more about how R&D works from start to finish on a design. Do they take an existing model and just see how they can twek it to be better.

Or how often do they say forget everything we've done to now, let's start with all new ideas and concepts and go with that. I would love to see and here more about that process to the final stage of hitting the shipping room floor.

I want to learn more about shafts, like what the torque and kick points are and what makes a shaft have the feeling I like with the correct flight for me. I'd also like to learn more about fittings for equipment, I'll remedy that before long though.

I'd like to sit down with Austie and Koske and just go stupid in depth on putters.

I love the WHY part- why does this work or why was this done in a certain way. Then the what part- what does it hope to achieve. Those always interest me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to be able to (and I am willing to pay) hit my current clubs on trackman/flightscope outdoors and see spin and launch data as well as compare it to new product so I can make decisions whether to spend money on new stuff or keep what I have. It seems that side by side comparisons with current clubs vs new is not all that accessible.

I would like to learn how to properly use golf equipment... I kid. Ever since the Handcrafted event shaft dynamics have really been of interest to me. Now that I feel like I have the perfect driver shaft for I would love to know more about iron shaft tech and how it could help me reach optimal launch conditions with my irons/wedges.

Back