Shorts on the PGA Tour

Are we ready for Ricky Fowler to be rocking a pair of Jams? John Daly in a pair of Loudmouth shorts?

Are we ready for Ricky Fowler to be rocking a pair of Jams? John Daly in a pair of Loudmouth shorts?

Do the extra 24" of fabric change anything?
Are Loudmouth all of the sudden more acceptable because they are longer?

I think shorts are fine. It could only be good for the game, not like current fans of golf are going to quit watching because you can see their calves.

If Rickie can wear joggers and high tops, players should be able to wear shorts...

I'm guessing this could be OK.

I am a big believer in dress codes. I think some of the issues in schools could be addressed/lessened if dress codes were reintroduced. My opinion is that dress codes are a slippery slope and when they are relaxed there will be some who push/stretch the limits and soon the codes are gone.

I don't think this would happen on the tour because sponsors might provide the wardrobes and insist on"proper attire" but in general I think the pros look better in long pants (except Ricky's pedal pushers).

Do the extra 24" of fabric change anything?
Are Loudmouth all of the sudden more acceptable because they are longer?

Aha....but if the extra 24" of fabric changes nothing, then why not wear suit-shorts with your suit jacket at a wedding?

Remember when they used to play in suits? No, neither do I. But they used to.

So the dress code has changed, significantly, over the years. Not sure why pants are considered sacrosanct.

Aha....but if the extra 24" of fabric changes nothing, then why not wear suit-shorts with your suit jacket at a wedding?

default.aspx
Can't get my pic to work, but ANGUS gives reason for suit-shorts

Pants are for work, not practice rounds. But, how many of us wear slacks to play?

Last edited:
I don't see the big deal, let them wear what they want to wear.

As long as they aren't cargo or jean shorts, it's fine with me. What better way to get Kentwool some TV time. They just sponsored the caddies who already wear shorts. If it's a nice outfit, shorts or not, let them wear it.

I just read that Kevin Na has made 20M and only won a couple of times in 12 years. If you can pull them that kind of money you can wear pants. Really nice pants.

Here's a question. No one seems to have any issues with the LPGA members wearing skirts or shorts. Why the difference for the men?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

As I already mentioned earlier in the thread, the women don't have to wear trousers

As long as they aren't cargo or jean shorts, it's fine with me. What better way to get Kentwool some TV time. They just sponsored the caddies who already wear shorts. If it's a nice outfit, shorts or not, let them wear it.

Again, if caddies are allowed to wear shorts then why aren't the players?

You could almost say it amounts to a form of discrimination by forcing only one group of people on the course to wear trousers

Go for it if you would like. Im sure there are no rules in place saying otherwise.
When the rules of golf were put in place, there were a number of things different than there are today.

The idea that someone someone wearing loudmouth pants makes it more acceptable than loudmouth shorts is lost on me (and millions of others including the players).
Im sure there are many solid debates one can make on why pants should be worn...But when the only one ever heard is "tradition" the message is lost, because its the same message in every single thought about any change in rules.

Its like business casual. That was the most taboo thing ever. The business world was coming to an end if jackets and ties were not worn every day to work. Gasp...Nothing happened.

This is entertainment and competition. Im not saying they should or should not here, but "tradition" doesnt sit right for me as the answer when it pertains to rules.

Im sure there are many solid debates one can make on why pants should be worn...But when the only one ever heard is "tradition" the message is lost, because its the same message in every single thought about any change in rules.

I am not sure I can think of any solid reasons as to why they should be if I am honest, I only really hear tradition being the reason, but even traditions change over time

One thing that would be helped if they wore shorts though would be the recovery shots played from the water, I mean how much time does it take a player to remove his shoes and socks and then roll up the legs of his trousers...? If they were wearing shorts then time would be saved with not having to roll them up and then back down again after drying off :alien:

See no problem with it during practice rounds and pro-ams.

I can't think of a single reason why PGA players should be required to wear pants.

As I already mentioned earlier in the thread, the women don't have to wear trousers

Again, if caddies are allowed to wear shorts then why aren't the players?

You could almost say it amounts to a form of discrimination by forcing only one group of people on the course to wear trousers

And that was my point. It's discrimination. The truth is there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts. Yes it's different, but that is ok.

I'd like the option for shorts during practice rounds for sure and of course for the caddies during the competition rounds (where allowed).

The long pants aren't such a burden nowadays with the modern materials as they were back in the heavy cotton sweaty Docker 1990's and especially in the wool pre-1960's era. I'm pretty sure those 60-80's stretch poly pants were pretty hot too.

Very very surprised at the overwhelming amount of Yes' for the shorts

And that was my point. It's discrimination. The truth is there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts. Yes it's different, but that is ok.

Discrimination is a little much. These guys get paid millions to have to wear pants that are so advanced now it's not much hotter than shorts

Isn't golf supposedly doing everything possible to grow the sport? So then why hold on to this pointless requirement? Make it optional, players can do whatever they prefer...it doesn't provide an unfair advantage, right?

Discrimination is a little much. These guys get paid millions to have to wear pants that are so advanced now it's not much hotter than shorts

So you have never worn shorts to play golf?

Female golfers might not get the same monetary contracts that the guys get, but they still don't have the same restrictions that the guys have with regards to what they have to wear so why should it be different for guys?

I am totally cool with the idea of wearing shorts. I think that you should be comfortable when you are playing. On the other end I am a firm believer in "practice how you play" and to me a practice round is no exception. As an amateur golfer I will always wear shorts when I can. Unless its a weekend round of a tourney!

Its like business casual. That was the most taboo thing ever. The business world was coming to an end if jackets and ties were not worn every day to work. Gasp...Nothing happened.

This is entertainment and competition. Im not saying they should or should not here, but "tradition" doesnt sit right for me as the answer when it pertains to rules.
Amen, brother.

We are quite lucky (some more than others) that some *traditions* have been broken and thrown to the curb.

The past does not justify the future.

I'll reiterate my LPGA point and say that the LPGA ladies on average seem to be having more fun, more smiles and are less uptight than their male counterparts. In these ways, I think they are ahead of the PGA.

Back