Ping G VS Apex cf16

Alpha

Reaction score
Handicap
Thought I was going to get the cf 16 Apex then saw the new Ping G. Has anyone compared these? Currently have 1st gen. Apex, had G 20s before that. 8hcp Thanks

Man, I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but between those two I would go Apex CF's and never look back. The Apex CF's are such good irons and look about 1,000x better than the new pings.

I'm a little biased as a cf16 owner and agree with cbaker.

Alpha, I would seriously test both for yourself. Nobody will be able to tell you what will work best for you.

Fwiw, ping will hold their value light years longer than callaway.

I know Ping doesn't sponsor any large events on this site so they don't get the love that Callaway does, but they make solid products that are generally bulletproof.

Lastly, I am not arguing if Ping or Callaway is better... I just don't want you to discount one because more people suggest it. Go demo both and decide for yourself, you will be happy you did.

Last edited:
I agree the cf16 does look better tha the Ping G. But......I've also bought the Apex iron when they first came out in 2013.
Those irons still perform well but sure don't look new anymore, with the forged frame they get dinged up pretty quick. So in my opinion looks are only an issue when new.
I care much more about dispersion and length on mishits. I have hit the cf16 and it is about 1/2 club longer than my org. Apex, forgiveness seems about the same. I will test the G when I can get on launch monitor with a fitter that has one. Thought someone might have done that already.

I just got the CF16, but if I had seen the new Gs I would have waited and tested both. Having had the original apex for the last couple years and really enjoying them, I have no doubt the CF16 will perform great, but the Ping G are quite a bit cheaper and might offer a lot of the same things the new Apex do. Looks wise I like the Apex CF16 better for sure, but if the clubs perform I could really care less what they look like.

My suggestion like others, if you can go hit both then make up your own mind. And if you can share your thought here that would be much appreciated by many I am quite sure.

Reading this and wondering if you've thought about the i series from Ping vs. Cf16. I've hit both and they seem comparable to me. I've not had a chance to see/hit the g yet. I don't think there's a bad choice to be made here so it's a good path to be on.

I know Ping doesn't sponsor any large events on this site so they don't get the love that Callaway does

Im not sure I would go this route. The percentage of people that have been to THP/Callaway (or any of the other 12 companies that sponsor) events compared to that of the amount of readers/members is tiny. However Callaway irons did outsell Ping irons, and are available at more places so perhaps that is a reason more people are in favor of them currently.

The G irons are very solid irons, but they are completely different than that of the CF16s.

They are both solid irons, but I would never discount the opinions of THPers who are testing out the gear.

These were the top two irons in my fitting recently. I was a bit more consistent with the PINGs, and I've been a long-time fan of PING irons. So, if I do end up getting new irons this year, I'd choose the G over the Apex. Honestly, the Apex do perform similarly, and they do look really nice at address, and if it weren't for the $400 price difference between the sets I priced out, it would probably be a much tougher decision.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either - of the Apex and G20, which did you play better golf with? Both are a little different, but from a profile standpoint similar to their previous incarnations.

Alpha, I would seriously test both for yourself. Nobody will be able to tell you what will work best for you.

Fwiw, ping will hold their value light years longer than callaway.

I know Ping doesn't sponsor any large events on this site so they don't get the love that Callaway does, but they make solid products that are generally bulletproof.

Lastly, I am not arguing if Ping or Callaway is better... I just don't want you to discount one because more people suggest it. Go demo both and decide for yourself, you will be happy you did.

Be careful around here knocking any OEM's that sponsor THP, or advertise here ...your sure to get them to shut down the thread...its simply all products are good ...some are just better than others for you personally

Sorry guys I didn't mean to come across that way, I personally love Callaway and wouldn't trade my 815 for anything right now... I didn't mean anything bad by my comment! I guess I just mean that you will probably get more recommendations for Callaway as they are and have been an AMAZING sponsor to this community (plus they are really cool guys as I have personally met a few of them) so naturally, myself included, lean towards supporting them. However, in my opinion it is important to go demo as many things as possible to find your best fit!

Be careful around here knocking any OEM's that sponsor THP, or advertise here ...your sure to get them to shut down the thread...

There are a good number of threads that suggest otherwise. And in general, I think for a lot of people the companies (whether they be TM, Cobra, Callaway, etc.) they have had great personal experiences with are going to shape their opinions with brands. Callaway does a lot of awesome stuff, so people might use that as a tiebreaker. Golf's an emotional game, as much as we don't want to say it.

I'm of the opinion that there's really nobody making bad stuff, and 2012BFT's advice was good - try and find out what works best for you.

Be careful around here knocking any OEM's that sponsor THP, or advertise here ...your sure to get them to shut down the thread...its simply all products are good ...some are just better than others for you personally
This is so far from the truth.

But being a Troll you knew that. You just want the attention.

You cant be serious with this stuff.
It has come up in about a dozen threads and all of them end the same way.
If you do not like it here, there are millions of websites around the world.
If you do, thats great too, but enough with the conspiracy theories.
There are tens of thousands of THPers and over half a million THP readers that I am sure are waiting for their checks in the mail for their opinions.
THP works with EVERY brand and has had EVERY brand be a part of the amazing THP Events.

People like and post their opinions, just as you do yours. The failure to see that its not some secret conspiracy is ****ing mind blowing. The constant trolling and dismissing others opinions like they are on the take is not only ineffective, but becoming par for the course.

This wont be mentioned again. Either enjoy THP for what it offers, or dont, but stop trolling the threads with this constant nonsense.

I'm still waiting for my check, need to PM GolferGal to make sure she has the current address :D

But back on topic, I agree both are great irons, and should be demoed if possible to give the OP the best idea of what works for him. I almost went with the G30 last year as opposed to Wilson, but in the end. The price was better for Wilson and the numbers were close.

This year I went with the CF16 as they were just a great feeling iron and an on course demo I had showed improved results over my D200. The proof was in the results, not some conspiracy theory.

Reading this and wondering if you've thought about the i series from Ping vs. Cf16. I've hit both and they seem comparable to me. I've not had a chance to see/hit the g yet. I don't think there's a bad choice to be made here so it's a good path to be on.
I think these two are much more comparable.

I love Ping Drivers, FW, and hybrids, but after hitting the I series and CF16 back to back, it was a no brainer that the Callaways outperformed the Pings for me.

I think it is hard to compare these two specific sets. I tried the Ping's with the AWT/PX5.5 and the CF16 with the KBS Tour and PX 5.5.

With that said... I went and hit both of them pretty extensively. I preferred the G irons just because I enjoy forgiveness over anything else. I thought the G irons were light years more forgiving. Iron play is one of my stronger suits of my game (if I have any at all), so I hit the CF16's fine, but if I was to choose a set of irons between these two, I would go with the G's.

Looks: CF16
Feel: Subjective, but CF16 for me
Sound: I don't pay this any mind
Forgiveness: G
Ball flight: G (I prefer a higher ball flight)
Price: G

I do not think you can go wrong with either of them. If you are looking for more feel and precise control/workability, then I would lean CF16... if you are looking for forgiveness first and great durability, I would go with the G.

Man, I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but between those two I would go Apex CF's and never look back. The Apex CF's are such good irons and look about 1,000x better than the new pings.
They are totally different irons. The G Series appears to be max forgiveness, max distance, wide soles. The Apex have a smaller profile and achieve distance and forgiveness through the cup face tech; soles appear much smaller, which may be good or bad for you. G Series cost less. Both are great OEMs that stand behind their equipment so you know you are in good hands whichever way you go.

They are totally different irons. The G Series appears to be max forgiveness, max distance, wide soles. The Apex have a smaller profile and achieve distance and forgiveness through the cup face tech; soles appear much smaller, which may be good or bad for you. G Series cost less. Both are great OEMs that stand behind their equipment so you know you are in good hands whichever way you go.

This is all very true. And honestly I'm not even a huge fan of the Apex CF's personally, but I recognize they are very good irons. I'm also huge on looks though haha which is why I would go Apex. I don't like the way Ping has gone with these G irons, but that's just my opinion. I had Ping G5's for close to 10 years and now my brother plays them and they are fantastic. I'll always have a soft spot for ping, but the look of the new ones puts me off big time.

Back