New Euro Tour Slow Play Rules

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
From Rex Hoggard.
So during round 1, Spieth was a player that already felt the wrath and will be fined.
He said post round that he didnt understand since the group behind was nowhere in sight, but did say he took a long time to read the putt. The question I have to this is when should any player gauge pace from group behind? That is like golf 101.

But furthermore, do you think these tiny fines (relatively speaking) mean anything or deter anything? If they really want to fix the issue, there are ways to fix the issue, but players and their fans will cry foul.

What are your thoughts? Step in the right direction and the PGA Tour should follow suit or it will do nothing?

CZPqc77UMAEDMGC.jpg:large

From Rex Hoggard.
So during round 1, Spieth was a player that already felt the wrath and will be fined.
He said post round that he didnt understand since the group behind was nowhere in sight, but did say he took a long time to read the putt. The question I have to this is when should any player gauge pace from group behind? That is like golf 101.

But furthermore, do you think these tiny fines (relatively speaking) mean anything or deter anything? If they really want to fix the issue, there are ways to fix the issue, but players and their fans will cry foul.

What are your thoughts? Step in the right direction and the PGA Tour should follow suit or it will do nothing?

Good on them. Have to start somewhere. Nice that they don't see Jordan as untouchable.

Penalty stroke(s) for slow play will speed it up.

Step in the right direction as stated but I think they should do something where after X number of infractions at whatever $$, then on the 10th infraction (or whatever number) then there is a significant penalty.

From Rex Hoggard.

Interesting. I think anything they can do is a step in the right direction. At the very least it may embarrass a slow player who is constantly fined. However, as many of these guys are all set in the money department, the biggest way to hurt them is their score. Add a stroke if you are over the time limit. However that would clearly lead to a huge amount of issues and excuses etc. Let's see how this new rule does, and maybe it will be an improvement.

I don't see how a few thousand does anything for the guys who are making a ton - they probably make more than those penalties for putting a driver in play for that round. The younger guys might be more wary of losing that money, though, so you start to at least groom the new golfers for faster play. Sort of like they're doing with the pitch clock in the minors for baseball.

Love it!

I still think nothing will change until strokes are the penalty, but hopefully I'm wrong.

In theory I like the idea..... wondering how long it will be before the referee's start picking on a certain nationality but not penalizing their own.

I don't see how a few thousand does anything for the guys who are making a ton - they probably make more than those penalties for putting a driver in play for that round. The younger guys might be more wary of losing that money, though, so you start to at least groom the new golfers for faster play. Sort of like they're doing with the pitch clock in the minors for baseball.
Tell that to their Significant Other

I agree here.
It was interesting to hear Spieth say the group behind was nowhere in sight, so he didnt see the issue. Because that is a HUGE issue in the world of golf right now. That shows that people just do not care about the time as long as they are not pressured.

If they really want to focus on the issue and make this seem like a step towards better pace and not a money grab, keep the fines small but dont make the fine money. Make it points. Even if its 5 Fed Ex points for Race to Dubai points or even Ryder Cup points. That'll get their attention more than a $2,800 fine

I agree here.
It was interesting to hear Spieth say the group behind was nowhere in sight, so he didnt see the issue. Because that is a HUGE issue in the world of golf right now. That shows that people just do not care about the time as long as they are not pressured.

Would have been amusing for someone in the interview room to correct him, and let him know that you're supposed to watch the group in front​ of you, not behind.

Monetary fines don't work. It may affect the lower end guys not making much money but the top 100 probably no effect. These guys could get timed. Speed up and get back on pace then slow down again,get timed, get back on pace and nothing would happen.

until they penalize strokes for slow play nothing will change. Give them a warning once they get off pace, if they are still off pace after X amount of holes then one stroke penalty. If they continue to stay off pace then another stroke. It should also be per person and not per group.

If they really want to focus on the issue and make this seem like a step towards better pace and not a money grab, keep the fines small but dont make the fine money. Make it points. Even if its 5 Fed Ex points for Race to Dubai points or even Ryder Cup points. That'll get their attention more than a $2,800 fine

I have been saying this for 2 years now. I understand the different tours and events all have different races. But its simple, each infraction comes with 5 points off each of them and then we see when a guy falls in FedEx Cup points with 10 million on the line, or loses out on the Ryder Cup how much the attention changes.

I have been saying this for 2 years now. I understand the different tours and events all have different races. But its simple, each infraction comes with 5 points off each of them and then we see when a guy falls in FedEx Cup points with 10 million on the line, or loses out on the Ryder Cup how much the attention changes.
Yep. You could say increase the fines but only make that money come out of the total money earned for the year so essentially hes not losing money out of pocket but hes losing ground in the money list. But that only effects the bottom third of golfers who are trying to grind out enough earnings to retain PGA tour membership. Race points are the one thing that effect everyone just the same, especially during the playoffs. Most of the time its just a couple points between the last one in and the first one out of a playoff event

^^^^this^^^^

FedEx points are solid too. Both apply equally to everyone and matter.

I really like this idea - it doesn't mess with the actual competition, but it still is a pretty big "stick" to wield.

I like it. I think the PGA tour needs to adopt this. I don't care at what level you play at, a 6 hour round is just unacceptable.

Yeah, JB is on point, Fedex points is the best place to hit them but I think it should be in addition to strokes. A penalty on current round hurts & points for the season hurts

Yeah, JB is on point, Fedex points is the best place to hit them but I think it should be in addition to strokes. A penalty on current round hurts & points for the season hurts

You cant take strokes because as soon as you do and a fan favorite loses by 1, the golf world goes crazy.

Good on them. Have to start somewhere. Nice that they don't see Jordan as untouchable.
Agree, have to start somewhere, even if this may not have a huge impact to start.
Nailed it. As soon as strokes are involved, players will start to really pay attention.

Sounds like they are taking the proper steps to get things moving. Will have to wait and see how it is exactly enforced. Saying you have new rules, but then not following up on them isn't exactly paving a new way to play.

I agree that it's a start, but as others have said, fines on the newer/Rookie golfers will be much more of a hit to the pocket than someone like Speith. The crazy part about slow play on the PGA to me, is that ALL of the Caddies have detailed diagrams of the greens they are playing, right? So, once the ball is on the green, as they walk up, they have a solid idea of what it's going to do already. Why must they take SUCH a long time to look at something they basically already KNOW. That's part of what practice rounds are for. This is even more so in Majors and at events that a held at the same courses year over year. Once you get on the course and get a true feel for the speed ON the course, a PGA Tour player shouldn't have to have three different angles to look and decide the line. SMH

I like the idea of smaller money fines, but taking points off Ryder Cup, Fed-Ex or what have you WOULD be more of a deterrent to slow play, I 100% agree with that.

I think the pro tours need to find a more motivating way than money. With endorsement money and all the rest I don't see a couple of grand being an issue for these guys. I know that is a lot of money to us, but to them it isn't. I think you hit them where it hurts and that's points to the rankings. Sure we could penalize strokes on the course, but that is a PR nightmare waiting to happen IMO. Deduct points on top of the $$ fine and that will get their attention.

Back