Anyone use CP2 midsize on their woods?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I use the CP2 Pro midsize on my iron and wedges but I still have the stock grips on my AeroBurner Hybrid, 3HL, and M1 Driver. Those grips are pretty heavy so I'm concerned it might throw off the swingweight balance but part of me also feels like I should have the same grips across the board for consistency.

Thoughts?

I have them in all clubs. Used lead tape to adjust swing weight

How much tape to offset that? I'm seeing close to 15g weight difference between the stock grips and the CP2 Pro midsize.

I use the standard CP2 wrap (coming from other midsize) as they are a tad bigger then stock.

I gather you aren't otherwise unhappy on the stock grips on your woods, other than they aren't CP2? So you could try one CP2 standard and see how that feels.

A far as the "how much weight do I add?" Q, 5g of heavier grip weights adds about 1 swingweight point on the swingweight scale. So 15g would be 3sw (for example D4 to D1).

But....a lot of folks say that you won't notice the difference, or at least a difference that matters to your feel, as the grip weight is in your hands. I''m of the school that I DO feel a difference, but that may be partly that I have a bit of arthritis in my hands.

Did you add any more weight to your irons and wedges to allow for the midsize grips?

Adding 2g of weight at the head- about the weight of a dime- is about 1sw point on the swingweight fulcrum scale (actually a smidgen less on the longer clubs). So in theory, to match the "loss" you would add about 6g to the head. But you might find that makes the head feel quite heavy. You might also get the sense the shaft plays a touch softer, though it would take more weight than that to affect flex.

So if you do decide to add weight, I'd go slow with weight, a gram or two at a time. You might even just tape a dime at a time to the bottom to get a sense how it feels before you try adding lead tape and hit the range.

You could also tape 2 or 3 dimes at the grip end and see if that bothers you at all before you actually try another grip.

In short, everyone's a bit different on this. Good luck.

How much tape to offset that? I'm seeing close to 15g weight difference between the stock grips and the CP2 Pro midsize.
I just put enough on to get back to swing weight. Different amounts for each club

I use the standard CP2 wrap (coming from other midsize) as they are a tad bigger then stock.

I gather you aren't otherwise unhappy on the stock grips on your woods, other than they aren't CP2? So you could try one CP2 standard and see how that feels.

A far as the "how much weight do I add?" Q, 5g of heavier grip weights adds about 1 swingweight point on the swingweight scale. So 15g would be 3sw (for example D4 to D1).

But....a lot of folks say that you won't notice the difference, or at least a difference that matters to your feel, as the grip weight is in your hands. I''m of the school that I DO feel a difference, but that may be partly that I have a bit of arthritis in my hands.

Did you add any more weight to your irons and wedges to allow for the midsize grips?

Adding 2g of weight at the head- about the weight of a dime- is about 1sw point on the swingweight fulcrum scale (actually a smidgen less on the longer clubs). So in theory, to match the "loss" you would add about 6g to the head. But you might find that makes the head feel quite heavy. You might also get the sense the shaft plays a touch softer, though it would take more weight than that to affect flex.

So if you do decide to add weight, I'd go slow with weight, a gram or two at a time. You might even just tape a dime at a time to the bottom to get a sense how it feels before you try adding lead tape and hit the range.

You could also tape 2 or 3 dimes at the grip end and see if that bothers you at all before you actually try another grip.

In short, everyone's a bit different on this. Good luck.

I'm mainly just interested in a consistency of feel between the clubs. I have midsize on everything except the woods and hybrid. I switched to the CP2 Pro when I was experiencing a ton of pain in my fingers from my irons. Obviously that's not a problem with the graphite shafts of the woods and hybrid but I'm still interested in getting a good feeling midsize grip. Maybe the CP2 Pro midsize isn't the answer. I have used the Winn Dri Tec on previous woods in midsize and those don't add as any weight to the clubs since it is a lighter weight midsize grip.

^^ Sounds like the Dri-Tac mid might be a good for for you for the weight issue and for your hands. If you needed to switch to CP2 from hand pain, from a guy with mild arthritis, I suggest keeping with low vibration grips in the woods too to prevent further damage. I had to drop steel completely 4 seasons ago, going with steelfibre on all irons including wedges(or quit). Graphite is of course a cheaper option.

I've used the Dri Tac mid too, changed mostly from the longevity issue. For the benefit of other readers, I find they do have a bit more cushioning the the CP2. After hitting hard range balls in the cold today (first time in a month so timing was off) my hands are telling me I might want to consider switching back....hmm

Last edited:
Back