Callaway XR16 Pro Fairway - THP Review

What happened to your old one?

This. When I was young and strong I never cracked a face but now that I'm middle aged I've cracked 3 Callaway fairway wood faces in the last 18 months. It's my new upgrade program. :act-up:

attachment.php

This. When I was young and strong I never cracked a face but now that I'm middle aged I've cracked 3 Callaway fairway wood faces in the last 18 months. It's my new upgrade program. :act-up:

attachment.php

Solid upgrade program... That's some serious strikage. They may want to use you as a specimen and tester for future releases! Eeeesh!

I finally got to toy around with mine today. I'm glad I got the 16 degree. It's long. I absolutely love the muted sound.

There are few holes at my club where I need a certain distance, less than driver, and left is death. I think this one is going to make those a bit easier on me. I had to work pretty hard to hit it left. Mostly see a penetrating cut or straight. A little lower flight than I'm used to seeing with a fw wood, which is a good thing for me.

First impressions were great. Getting on flightscope with it tomorrow.

attachment.php

That's what you call a Internal Standing Wave :).

Great review Dan. I like the looks of this and am looking forward to giving this a go for a possible spot in the bag

Another solid review Dan. I know this can be a bomber off the tee but even more excited to hear how easy it is to hit off the deck as that's an area I can struggle in.

Great review Dan!! Really enjoyed reading it!

Good stuff DannyBoy! I agree 100% on the look of this club. It's very aggressive but has a good bit of forgiveness

Not sure how they could make the previous XR better but it seems like they have. Great write up Dan and I think I'll have to take a few swipes with it to see how it compares.

Took this back out today and can't say enough about the audible sound quality on well struck shots. It's so starkly obvious when quality contact was made, and I was basically hammering the ball even with the mediocre range balls we have, flying the 240 flag with ease and seeing a good quality bounce which I like to see as well.

The profile is and always was a bit intimidating, but I think this needs to get a much longer look. Not totally sold on the stock shaft for my game (not far off, but maybe something a little more spin limiting), but that's a pretty easy fix I think.

Nice thoughts Dan. I enjoyed the time with this over the weekend and have placed my order for this with hzrdus yellow (thanks to Kang letting me hit this on the range Sunday).

the sound was addicting and the feel was great. I liked both over the GBB and I enjoy the GBB.

I sort of really want to try the 14 with a high launch shaft.

I sort of really want to try the 14 with a high launch shaft.

The 14* is a missile. I played it for a little while, but it was honestly too long in spots for me. Went back to my GBB which is a little more forgiving on mishits off the deck

The 14* is a missile. I played it for a little while, but it was honestly too long in spots for me. Went back to my GBB which is a little more forgiving on mishits off the deck
This is fun to hear, mainly because I don't hit 3w off the deck given how long I can hit the HW there. It'll be a tee club for me and go toe to toe with my 816, and I wish it luck, because it'll need it.

Definitely going with either the Miyazaki White or Silver 72x in it.

This is fun to hear, mainly because I don't hit 3w off the deck given how long I can hit the HW there. It'll be a tee club for me and go toe to toe with my 816, and I wish it luck, because it'll need it.

Definitely going with either the Miyazaki White or Silver 72x in it.
It deserves a fair chance off the deck. Ive always been terrible with fairway woods, but this one is different. Seeing you have a rogue in your HW, you may have different gapping needs in your bag than I do.

It deserves a fair chance off the deck. Ive always been terrible with fairway woods, but this one is different. Seeing you have a rogue in your HW, you may have different gapping needs in your bag than I do.
HW is 230+ for me off the deck, so there's never much need for 3w off the deck outside of when I'm reviewing. I want my 3w to be a tee club, hence why I adore the 816.

HW is 230+ for me off the deck, so there's never much need for 3w off the deck outside of when I'm reviewing. I want my 3w to be a tee club, hence why I adore the 816.
Makes sense. I'm only good for 210-215 with my stock HW. I've never hit the 816, but for the price of the head, the xr16 is fun to try.

I think it will work great for you Jman. Off the tee, club is a rocket and long. Most solid strikes weren't too far off from my driver. Club is legit. Tmax bombs his off the deck and the tee. I struggled off the deck, but I hit the GBB well off both. Off the tee I hit it a mile, but didn't really fit my gapping for off the deck (why I went back to GBB)

I kind of want to find a B Asha 7X for the 14* I just ordered. The AD MT-7S should serve perfect though.

This club is still in the adjustment stage. I'm understanding it more each time out. It gets up in a hurry off the deck and us middle off the tee. It's been fun breaking it in.

I hit the XR 16 Pro fairway so crazy well this weekend. It's beating out at least five different options and in my opinion, more effective for my game than the Alpha which really surprised me considering how much I liked the 815. For the way I swing, and the sound I prefer, it's getting more and more solidified in the gamer slot.

I know quite a few guys picked up a head this weekend to mess around with. Can't wait to hear their thoughts as well.

I hit the XR 16 Pro fairway so crazy well this weekend. It's beating out at least five different options and in my opinion, more effective for my game than the Alpha which really surprised me considering how much I liked the 815. For the way I swing, and the sound I prefer, it's getting more and more solidified in the gamer slot.

I know quite a few guys picked up a head this weekend to mess around with. Can't wait to hear their thoughts as well.

The interesting part will be picking a shaft for it. I have some potential options, but a high launch mid/low spin shaft sounds perfect. Need to look into that.

Installed hzrdus yellow in my 2nd 4w. My way of shaft testing lol
fbe639917fd318c6802c7f0ac09744b1.jpg
0e575517a95bcf6bb087341a70440996.jpg
170e2872066adbee411e29e49f56aaad.jpg

Back