Bridgestone J15 Driving Forged Irons

So the guy quoting the build for me just told me Bridgestone won't sell a 5-PW set of these, I have to buy a 4i too. WTH? All it's gonna do is sit in the damn closet anyways. Seems a little crappy to force me to shell out extra cash for something I don't want.

For the record, I understand the inventory challenges associated with this. But it's still frustrating.
I'm not so sure this is true. I would go online to the Bridgestone website and use their online chat system. There is only a couple of guys who handle it and they are very knowledgeable about products/specs/etc. I would ask them about a 5-PW configuration, I find it hard to believe that they will not sell that.

I'm not so sure this is true. I would go online to the Bridgestone website and use their online chat system. There is only a couple of guys who handle it and they are very knowledgeable about products/specs/etc. I would ask them about a 5-PW configuration, I find it hard to believe that they will not sell that.

I followed back up with the builder and he can provide 5-PW. Sounds like he had to make some arrangement with the rep in order for him to do it. Seems like Bridgestone really doesn't want to sell incomplete sets, but it's neither here nor there now for me.

Now I just need to figure out whether I want Recoil Protos or Steelfibers...it's so difficult!!

The ponder train has finally reached Purchase Station. Put a down payment on a 5-PW set with Aerotech i95 stiff shafts and UTx grips. The club builder is going to check all the lofts, lies and swingweights for me from Bridgestone once he gets them, along with putting on my preferred UTx grips, and make any adjustments as necessary.

I am insanely pumped. Insanely. It's going to be a little while till they're in hand (probably 3 - 4 weeks) but I can't wait!

The ponder train has finally reached Purchase Station. Put a down payment on a 5-PW set with Aerotech i95 stiff shafts and UTx grips. The club builder is going to check all the lofts, lies and swingweights for me from Bridgestone once he gets them, along with putting on my preferred UTx grips, and make any adjustments as necessary.

I am insanely pumped. Insanely. It's going to be a little while till they're in hand (probably 3 - 4 weeks) but I can't wait!

that's great! enjoy the hell out of 'em :)

that's great! enjoy the hell out of 'em :)

Now I just have to figure out how to explain to my fiance why I needed new irons hahaha :act-up:

Nice pick up ski, i heard you won them

You will love them, just a great club and with the steelfibers should be excellent. I kinda wish I had went with steelfiber i95 reg. in my APEX pros. The Recoil 110 are working well, but I think I got more pop out of the steelfibers.

You will love them, just a great club and with the steelfibers should be excellent. I kinda wish I had went with steelfiber i95 reg. in my APEX pros. The Recoil 110 are working well, but I think I got more pop out of the steelfibers.

I debated going with regular flex, but it was hard to argue with the results I got out of the stiff on the monitor. I actually hit them further than the irons with Recoil 95's in them! Crazy.

I am definitely excited for the graphite. It felt so bloody good in the tester club. I could see myself reshafting my wedges to Steelfiber down the road, or at least the GW, since that's a full swing club.

Yep, I ended up putting 110 S in my J15 wedges and loved them. Odd how in the search for better sometimes we let go of what was really close to perfect. I dropped a full club length from the J15DF with the i95 reg. going to the APEX pro with the recoil 110 stiff. It really is not that big a deal in the game or scoring but it was fun to nuke a 7 iron 175 yds. every now and then.

First post here. Picked up a set of Recoil Prototype 125 DF. Played with them twice over the weekend. Really like them, but high winds really made it hard to figure out if they were longer than my j40 dpc.

Received word today that the club builder has these in house from Bridgestone. All the specs checked out, and he's just in the process of putting the grips on and checking SW's. He recommended I go to GP Multicompound to cut the grip weight down a little (I had originally requested UTx - but they are heavy) so he could hit a D2 swingweight - was coming in 1-2 pts low with the UTx. Works for me.

I am so stoked. Can't hardly wait! But I'm going to have to because I'm out of town all next week too! :banghead:

Holy. Yes.

cb73b7fc4e0a62af3f869d631779ebe8.jpg

84a0d8d1454ab3721285f4a29351bc5a.jpg

aa024e93db29ad419f2515d5bde0bff6.jpg

Maiden voyage tomorrow, I am so excited I can't even put it into words!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I took a few cuts with Skibum's new DF/Steelfibre combo yesterday and it's a really solid combo. Seemed to have a bit more "oomph" than my current v4 setup and a really nice feel through the swing.

These things are pretty damn awesome. When flushed they feel about as good as anything I've ever swung and they look AWESOME, but the big surprise with these is the forgiveness you get. No they're not GI irons, but a number of times I looked up expecting much worse results than I got. Distance really isn't bad at all low on the face, and they don't hook like crazy toe side. And overall these are every bit as long or possibly longer than the Z Stars, especially with the Steelfiber.

"Driving Forged" really is a good name for these, as they have the true player look and feel with mortal player distance and forgiveness.

i had some solid shots with these today. I'm still considering a slightly stiffer shaft to tighten up dispersion but I can't imagine wanting anything else from my irons b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to spend some good range time with these today, and DAMN I am pleased. What I said above continues to be true. Silly long for players irons, some of the softest irons I've ever hit when pured, and you can get away with a lot more than you think. Low face shots don't turn out too badly and still carry a respectable distance, while toe balls are greeted with a draw but by no means an ugly hook. Short irons are absolutely surgical with a decent swing, and the long irons get up really easy, particularly when hitting a fade.

Really love these things so far! They're not quite as forgiving as Z-Stars, but damn if they're not close.

Last edited:
Ended up swapping mine out just because the shafts were a little light and I launched them with a little too much spin for my tastes. They're currently for sale in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

So after today clearly I still have a little getting used to with these...because they are too long. Most of my misses were long with irons, and I airmailed a green from 130 (to the back) by about 10-15 with a 9 iron...and it was about 40 feet uphill. Between the heads and the Steelfiber shafts, the ball speed is ridiculous.

The other thing I need to commit to is the draw. I tell myself I should be hitting a fade when the natural shot is a draw, and that makes me a dumba**. Once I finally got that through my head I started hitting some really nice irons.

So after today clearly I still have a little getting used to with these...because they are too long. Most of my misses were long with irons, and I airmailed a green from 130 (to the back) by about 10-15 with a 9 iron...and it was about 40 feet uphill. Between the heads and the Steelfiber shafts, the ball speed is ridiculous.

The other thing I need to commit to is the draw. I tell myself I should be hitting a fade when the natural shot is a draw, and that makes me a dumba**. Once I finally got that through my head I started hitting some really nice irons.

i'm sure i've said it somewhere in here, but i picked 1.5 to 2 clubs with these over ping i25. 8i was barely 140 with the i25, now pw is 140. pretty big jump, and provides for a lot of confidence.

i'm sure i've said it somewhere in here, but i picked 1.5 to 2 clubs with these over ping i25. 8i was barely 140 with the i25, now pw is 140. pretty big jump, and provides for a lot of confidence.
It's awesome for sure, I just need to start believing it and commit to it haha. I'm pretty close to that, my 9i is looking to be around 145 ish. If I could get on a real accurate LM that would probably help

I continue to freaking smash these when it comes to distance...and it's simultaneously awesome and taking some adjustment haha. Had yet another green airmail I would have never thought I was capable of on Saturday. Pin at 172 into a little breeze, back of the green at around 180 and hazard at 185. Pull 6i and absolutely nut a 10 yard draw, I'm looking up and down thinking I hit it stiff...and it never touches dry land haha. I carried it 185 minimum, possibly more.

Holy CRAP! Not so good for my score that day (though I hit a good chip from the drop zone and made bogey), but I think it's going to be good for my game long term. It's just still proving difficult to believe that I'm hitting it this far, and my club selection is reflecting that. Clearly I should have pulled 7i, but disbelief caused me to pull 6 and I paid the price.

Wow, impressive stuff guys. What shafts are you playing? Were you fit or playing off the shelf?

Wow, impressive stuff guys. What shafts are you playing? Were you fit or playing off the shelf?

I am playing Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff soft stepped. Was fit into these and had them built -1/4" and to my lie angle specs from my fitting a couple months back.

I can tell you without hesitation that the composite shafts are contributing to the ball speed, which is what I saw in my fitting as well. I was actually fit into Recoil Prototype 95's, but we hit these as well and there wasn't a massive difference. Price was ridiculous on the Protos though, and I directly compared the Steelfibers to the standard Recoil 95's and got better numbers with the SF's.

The other factor for me is swing mechanics. I've been actively working on fully extending through the ball, so that has some effect on the distance as well. But the fact remains that I used to pull 6 iron for 165 yard shots and now I'm airmailing 172 yard pins with a 6. Crazy.

I continue to freaking smash these when it comes to distance...and it's simultaneously awesome and taking some adjustment haha. Had yet another green airmail I would have never thought I was capable of on Saturday. Pin at 172 into a little breeze, back of the green at around 180 and hazard at 185. Pull 6i and absolutely nut a 10 yard draw, I'm looking up and down thinking I hit it stiff...and it never touches dry land haha. I carried it 185 minimum, possibly more.

Holy CRAP! Not so good for my score that day (though I hit a good chip from the drop zone and made bogey), but I think it's going to be good for my game long term. It's just still proving difficult to believe that I'm hitting it this far, and my club selection is reflecting that. Clearly I should have pulled 7i, but disbelief caused me to pull 6 and I paid the price.

More distance sounds awful. Hahaga. Seems like your really enjoying these dude and that freakin awesome.

Back