Pain in my pinkies?!? Grips shafts?

Reaction score
Handicap
I just started playing golf again after a good 15 years of rarely playing- maybe once a year at most, if that- so now that I’m back I bought some new clubs and have been really loving the game. Initially I had the normal soreness in weird spots that only golf can make sore. But now that I’ve played every Sunday for about 3 months I’ve had continuing pain in my left pinky. It actually gets so stiff that the day after playing I can make a fist and if I squeeze my hand in the fist when I release it my pinky kind of gets stuck then releases.

Ive played guitar for years and have never had terrible finger pain or stiffness. Rock climbing caused similar stiffness but that is super intense on your hands and fingers. I am playing Bridgestone j38 irons with project x steel shafts. Golf pride mccc +4 standard grips. I’m thinking that my old clubs were some Nevada bobs knock off pings with graphite shafts. I think the grips were regular sized but the butt end of the older clubs (19 year old clubs at this point) is much smaller. My palms are pretty big but my fingers are short I wear a med-large cadet glove.

My dads clubs (some super old powerbilt tps ping isi looking irons) seem like the butt end of the old shaft makes the grip much smaller. I’m wondering if I should try undersized grips? Or maybe a reduced taper? Originally I was thinking of trying oversized and arthritic grips. I’ve been doing less of an all finger grip and more of a Ben hogan palm and finger grip and that seems to be helping a bit.

Do you you think I should try oversized grips with more cushion or maybe undersized or reduced taper? I was thinking reduced taper BW aside originally it was just my left hand pinky hurting (I golfright handed). But now my right pinky is hurting too

im trading forum members dysfunkshun My current shafts for his lighter kbs 90 shafts. So I was gona put some different grips on my irons. Just seeing if anyone out there has experienced this pinky pain and has any wisdom to offer?

btw. I asked my chiropractor (who I see once a year because I randomly just get completely misaligned and he puts me right back in) and he kinda brushed it off and just said it wasn’t muscular and to stretch it. It really doesn’t feel muscular but I don’t think the stretching is helping too much.

Thanks guys!

Back