Wanting a new Women's iron set.

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
Please keep this a secret...

I am getting Terra a new set of irons for Christmas. She has a set of the cheap Cobra Fly-Z XL now. I want to get her a new set of iron/hybrid combo. The FLY Z XL shafts are too whippy for her. Plus its a cheap set. I want to get a set that isn't a cheap starter set but I don't want to break the bank either. I'm thinking in the $400-$600 range. Ladies of THP, what iron sets are you playing? Any recommendations? For her birthday in February, I'm getting her a driver and Fairway wood. Thanks for your help.

My wife just went through a fitting last week. Up to now, she's been gaming the Cobra Lady Fly-Z herself for a couple of years, but has been complaining that they were too light and inconsistent. She's a bit taller 5'7" with an upright stance, so after a few hours on the trackman and ripping through gear, the fitter put her in Taylormade M4 with Reg flex KBS 85 set at mens standard length and grips. Watching her hit those were night and day compared to the cheaper dated Fly-Zs for sure.

My wife just went through a fitting last week. Up to now, she's been gaming the Cobra Lady Fly-Z herself for a couple of years, but has been complaining that they were too light and inconsistent. She's a bit taller 5'7" with an upright stance, so after a few hours on the trackman and ripping through gear, the fitter put her in Taylormade M4 with Reg flex KBS 85 set at mens standard length and grips. Watching her hit those were night and day compared to the cheaper dated Fly-Zs for sure.

That's exactly why I want to get Terra a new set. She likes to play now but the set she has is so inconsistent. I know her swing is too. But the clubs are an easier fix for now. I know when I went from my starter set to the TM R7's. It was night and day as well. Like I bought 5 strokes... LOL

I'm one of the M4 testers for THP, and they have been literal game changers for me. Exceptionally forgiving and great feedback. If they fell outside your price range, I'd consider bumping up the top of your range to look at them, but on the TM website a ladies' 4-AW comes with a graphite shaft only and costs $900.

That's exactly why I want to get Terra a new set. She likes to play now but the set she has is so inconsistent. I know her swing is too. But the clubs are an easier fix for now. I know when I went from my starter set to the TM R7's. It was night and day as well. Like I bought 5 strokes... LOL

Are you sure I'm not talking to myself? I still have my R7s, hell I gamed them last week for the hell of it!

Back to the subject at hand, my wife's frustration was that everything billed as "womens" clubs are all too short and light. I'm grateful that the fitter actually spent time with her and right off the bat said "what matters is results, not something labeled as mens or womens".

Picked up the F8's in pink for Tera this fall when they went on sale/clearance at PGASS. Also picked up the 5 & 6 iron from cobra directly and found some good deals on driver and fairway too. Trade in value wasn't all that great on the old set but it helped.

We had gone in early this year and let her get "showroom fit". She hit just about every line and OEM and liked these the best. I thought I was picky about what I liked...haha.

Her last set was the Bio Cell and she got along well with them too. The F8's are longer for her and she is hitting them great! I will probably put a larger grip on them and take the stock ones off as she doesn't use the arccos but will see what she thinks. She has bigger hands but doing well with the stock grips so far.

Always great when the better half wants new equipment! Easier to explain your purchases down the road.

My wife plays a set of AP1. I would have guessed she would have taken to something a bit more on the SGI side, but she got them as a rental when we were in Hilton Head and hit them better than any iron I've seen her play with.

The 716 can be had for a song lightly used.

Cleveland Launcher HBs. My wife has the prior iteration and loves them - there’s no substitute for clubs that help us have more fun. And we husbands have more fun on the course when our spouses are having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I just started playing this year so I still have my set of Callaway Solaires, so I might not be the best to talk to.

If I was to upgrade RIGHT NOW, I'd be hard pressed to not try a set of Callaways, the Cleveland Launcher HB, or the new TMs.

If it's any help at all, my instructor fit me into a driver with a senior/regular flex shaft with a very light weight (the weight was as important for me as the flex - I can handle a regular flex but she didn't have a really lightweight one). She also said that my irons and hybrids were just fine in the ladies graphite flex.

Hope that helps! Maybe have a sneaky afternoon date with her - do some errands near a golf store, then go in and swing some irons in the simulator. You might get a better idea that way.

Plus, hello, a date with your best girl is ALWAYS a great idea!

I just started playing this year so I still have my set of Callaway Solaires, so I might not be the best to talk to.

If I was to upgrade RIGHT NOW, I'd be hard pressed to not try a set of Callaways, the Cleveland Launcher HB, or the new TMs.

If it's any help at all, my instructor fit me into a senior/regular flex shaft with a very light weight (the weight was as important for me as the flex - I can handle a regular flex but she didn't have a really lightweight one). She also said that my irons and hybrids were just fine in the ladies graphite flex.

Hope that helps! Maybe have a sneaky afternoon date with her - do some errands near a golf store, then go in and swing some irons in the simulator. You might get a better idea that way.

My wife started with Solitaires before upgrading to the Fly-Zs and now M4s, so I think your input is pretty spot on when you say you started a year ago.

my wife's frustration was that everything billed as "womens" clubs are all too short and light. I'm grateful that the fitter actually spent time with her and right off the bat said "what matters is results, not something labeled as mens or womens".

My sister has the same problem with clubs she tries to play. She finally got fed up and took her husbands clubs it helps they are about the same height.

Cleveland Launcher HBs. My wife has the prior iteration and loves them - there’s no substitute for clubs that help us have more fun. And we husbands have more fun in the course when our spouses are having fun.

Ordered these today for my wife for a surprise Xmas gift, 5-d and picked up a hybrid, FW, and driver. Glad your wife is liking them!!

If it's any help at all, my instructor fit me into a driver with a senior/regular flex shaft with a very light weight (the weight was as important for me as the flex - I can handle a regular flex but she didn't have a really lightweight one). She also said that my irons and hybrids were just fine in the ladies graphite flex.

Great idea!!

Ordered these today for my wife for a surprise Xmas gift, 5-d and picked up a hybrid, FW, and driver. Glad your wife is liking them!!

I have offered to buy her new and shiny but she likes the ease of use, getting ball in the air and the distance.

Last edited:
I wish my wife played golf. Seriously the only thing I would change about her.

Here is the best deal in golf. I have built a good 6 sets of these and as many matching drivers and hybrids. Very easy to hit and have yet to not fit a women who transformed her game to a new level. The 15° driver that matches is fantastic.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-l-tech-iron-pak/p/pma0243/

They even will do free assembly. As cheap as the garbage Top Flight clubs sold in the box stores. This will keep you way under budget even if you get her an entire bag full of clubs.
b517cb3c9d9bd2ef36fa33f70c4898b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ddec,

What type of irons does Nerfny have?

Anyone see any deals on the F7's for Terra. Please let me know.

Go ahead and close this up. Found a set for her.

Amphibians can Tapatalk

Go ahead and close this up. Found a set for her.

Amphibians can Tapatalk

Oh heellllll no. Ya gotta post up what you got her bro. Don't leave us with the equivalent of internet blue balls. Spill the beans!

Ok Terra says she doesn't want new clubs for Christmas. She would like new clubs but not for Christmas... LOL too bad. Already got them.

Back