Mass Shooting in my Hometown

Wonton

Sphincter says what?
Reaction score
Handicap
# Ish
Thousand Oaks, CA

I woke up to a news of Mass Shooting in my Hometown, at a bar/club called Borderline where we used to go to during High School/Early College days to go have fun... it's too surreal. Thousand Oaks always has been one of the safest cities in the country and I was too naive to think that something like this could ever happen in my hometown.

I grew up here in T.O. majority of my life and it's a great place to be in. 45 minutes to L.A., 25 minutes to the Beaches of Pacific Coast, a quiet Suburban where I had the most fun memories in. It's sad to think that, this city is now labeled as a town victimized by a massive shooting.

I work less than a mile from Borderline, my office and the place share the same Off Ramp, which was closed and surrounded by news media trucks and police units. It's just like I've seen in the news numerous times. To get to my office, I had to take the exit after and you can clearly see Borderline from the Freeway. Police tape surrounding the entire vicinity, parking lot full of cars from people who were part of last night's massacre and choppers flying over.
This sh%t wasn't supposed to happen here. Or anywhere. As I drove by and witnessing this, I got filled by anger and sadness.

I thought about 3 specific people: Mark, Bobby and Levon.
Mark was the one who introduced me to golf back in 2009. My very first round of golf was at a course called Los Robles Greens, which is literally across the street from Borderline. Bobby, the last time I saw him was at Los Robles. Mark and Bobby are regulars at Borderline. Mark is safe and I haven't heard anything from Bobby.
Levon, a dear friend is a Highway Patrol, who had last night off, thankfully.

Today feels like a dream. A nightmare.
I feel completely sad and pissed for those people who have been affected by this. Their lives completely changed which is unfathomable.

Last edited:
Terrible news, but when it happens in your town, at a place you used to frequent, then it becomes pretty scary stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible news. Sorry to hear about another shooting. Glad you’re safe Wonton.

Wow. That is horrible. People these days are just nucking futs....

I was reading one of the new articles and a young lady commented: " We always felt safe there because lots of police officers and fireman hangout there" Like Sox Fan said, people are nuts, crazy!!

It's bonkers. I'm looking at pictures on ABC and I recognized 2 people. I'm glad they are safe.

Damn man, glad you are OK. Just scary stuff and it seems to be happening more and more often...

I cannot even begin to imagine this. I just hope that we're not all numb to it unless it happens in our hometown.

I have been to that place and have friends in bands that have played there. Really sad to see this.

Wonton - I hope everyone in your circle is OK. Crazy, crazy world.

Glad you and your friends are safe.

We live in crazy world that seems to be getting crazier with everyday. These mass shootings happen way too much to a point that we are all so desensitized to them. I have had no enough politicians sending there prays. I have no idea the right answer to prevent these shooting but conversations have to start happening so we could understand the why and what we could do to prevent them.

sorry for venting but I just over it.

This one hit pretty close to me too. Drove past there yesterday afternoon. Sad to see this news this morning.

Thousand Oaks, CA

I woke up to a news of Mass Shooting in my Hometown, at a bar/club called Borderline where we used to go to during High School/Early College days to go have fun... it's too surreal. Thousand Oaks always has been one of the safest cities in the country and I was too naive to think that something like this could ever happen in my hometown.

I grew up here in T.O. majority of my life and it's a great place to be in. 45 minutes to L.A., 25 minutes to the Beaches of Pacific Coast, a quiet Suburban where I had the most fun memories in. It's sad to think that, this city is now labeled as a town victimized by a massive shooting.

I work less than a mile from Borderline, my office and the place share the same Off Ramp, which was closed and surrounded by news media trucks and police units. It's just like I've seen in the news numerous times. To get to my office, I had to take the exit after and you can clearly see Borderline from the Freeway. Police tape surrounding the entire vicinity, parking lot full of cars from people who were part of last night's massacre and choppers flying over.
This sh%t wasn't supposed to happen here. Or anywhere. As I drove by and witnessing this, I got filled by anger and sadness.

I thought about 3 specific people: Mark, Bobby and Levon.
Mark was the one who introduced me to golf back in 2009. My very first round of golf was at a course called Los Robles Greens, which is literally across the street from Borderline. Bobby, the last time I saw him was at Los Robles. Mark and Bobby are regulars at Borderline. Mark is safe and I haven't heard anything from Bobby.
Levon, a dear friend is a Highway Patrol, who had last night off, thankfully.

Today feels like a dream. A nightmare.
I feel completely sad and pissed for those people who have been affected by this. Their lives completely changed which is unfathomable.

I'm right there with you. It's 4 minutes away from me. I have no words.

Just got a text back from my friend, Bobby... He was there last night. He was hiding in the attic. Made it out safe.

Someone at work told me he heard a few people that were at the Vegas disaster were there too?????

Someone at work told me he heard a few people that were at the Vegas disaster were there too?????

Yeah, a lot of people from Thousand Oaks, especially Ventura County go to Vegas a lot since it's a short drive/flight. A lot of country music fans here and a lot of them there last night were at Vegas too a year ago. I heard that upwards to 30 people.

This one hit close to home for me too. I am a student at Pepperdine and had quite a few classmates there last night and a few friends who regularly attend the Wednesday night special and thankfully decided to study for a quiz today rather than go dance last night.

Was reading up on this through the day, pure insanity.l, especially since some attended were at the Vegas shooting as well

Thoughts and prayers with the victims and their families!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just got a text back from my friend, Bobby... He was there last night. He was hiding in the attic. Made it out safe.

Glad he's safe. It's sad that we've been relegated to hiding in an attic while our friends get slaughtered. Our forefathers would disown us if they weren't dead already.

30c8df1a22394d891ab696bd6a9d5d34.jpg

Not only this, it looks like there’s a huge fire near. What a crazy day...

Very sad to see another shooting tragedy. I’m glad your friends were ok Won. Can’t fathom what the families are going through right now.

Mass Shooting in my Hometown

Thanks for your kinds words, everyone. I certainly don't need sympathy but I know people who have been affected sure will appreciate it. Prayers and thoughts... it's a f-ing common phrase now. Without making this political, whatever the solution is, something needs to be done. Politicians tweeting, screen time talking about it, and making false promises weighs less than a pile of cow dung.

Thanks for your kinds words, everyone. I certainly don't need sympathy but I know people who have been affected sure will appreciate it. Prayers and thoughts... it's a f-ing common phrase now. Without making this political, whatever the solution is, something needs to be done. Politicians tweeting, screen time talking about it, and making false promises weighs less than a pile of cow dung.

You know a lot better than me that f—- all will be done!

Terrible news and sorry bud. I used to go to Thousand Oaks to play hockey and it was always a nice town to visit. This world is a mess...

Back