Caddie assisted alignment

JP_CO

Chamption of something...
Reaction score
Handicap
depends
At the Sony one of the guys had his caddy lining him up on the tee boxes too. I personally think it's dumb and should be taken out of the game, but with millions on the line you can't blame them for doing it as long as it's legal.

I have no issue with caddies helping with green reads. They are just not allowed to stand behind them once they line them up. If I could have someone making sure I was hitting my lines, I'd use them in a heart beat

I think it's lame, they're supposed to be the best in the world, line up your own shots.

I am on the fence about this. I watch the LPGA a lot and it is very prevalent on that tour. If caddies are banned from helping alignment, I would expect to see alternate methods used such as laying a club on the ground prior to taking the shot. This is something that I vaguely remember seeing a player do during a tournament; just have to take away the club prior to actually taking the stroke.

Not sure I agree with helping line up, okay with helping with the read.

This is common on the LPGA.

I have no issues with anything that has happened to this point.

with the time the players and caddies spend during practice rounds getting to know the course and greens I would think it would not be necessary for the caddies to line up putts or tee shots for the best in the world!

not a fan, but doesn't affect my enjoyment of watching and I don't think it affects the integrity of the game. so no change necessary IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed Si Woo Kim's caddie helping with his alignment on shots, then walks away before he hits the shot. I know it's done a LOT on the LPGA tour and have always thought it was tantamount to cheating. Your a f'n professional golfer and should be able to stand up to a shot and align yourself. I think it's bogus and shouldn't be allowed - just my opinion.

I have no trouble with help reading putts or strategizing shots, that's what caddies do.

I think it's wrong. I also think it's a bit ironic how the powers that be are so concerned about the purity and integrity of the game when it comes to equipment technology and putting strokes but look the other way when another person makes sure you are pointed in the right direction before striking the ball.

Me personally I would want to line myself up. But it is within the rules of golf. I just hate how long it takes some players.

They are a team, and it is with in the rules so I'm good with it. Personally I would love some one to line me up on every shot.

Almost all the players on the LPGA have their caddie line them up. I caddied on the symetra tour for a few events and my player had me line her up on every shot. It's easy to say they should be able to line themselves up, but when your playing for your livelihood. If having your caddie line you up helps you play better. That is what you do.

I very seldomed pulled my player off a shot. She lined herself up just fine. It was more just to assure her and free her up to pull the trigger. I got a bonus for top 10's and if me lining her up got us a 10. Then I was all about it.

I like it. I know I'm not aligned right and end up trying to correct it in the swing. If I could have someone lone me up I would take it every time.

Hate it, as does my wife. She's new to golf (kinda) but watches a lot on TV and always comments how annoying it is to particularly see female golfers essentially appear not able to make a decision on the line themselves, almost told where to stand, where to point and to hit it.

I think they should be allowed to discuss it as they do on the fairway or tee and figure out a line, but not stand behind them until they say ok and walk away.

Essentially the stand behind read and setup just makes the player a robot of the caddie. I'd like to see that sort of alignment banned but its probably difficult to police. There was a post that said they are a team, thats true, but the player is the player and the caddie is the caddie. There needs to be some sort of decision making as the final word by the player not essentially their coach on course.

Essentially the stand behind read and setup just makes the player a robot of the caddie. I'd like to see that sort of alignment banned but its probably difficult to police. There was a post that said they are a team, thats true, but the player is the player and the caddie is the caddie. There needs to be some sort of decision making as the final word by the player not essentially their coach on course.

Obviously I cannot speak for all players and caddies, but this was not the case my player. My player was the boss and the final decision was hers. Yes we discussed shots, putts, lines, and targets. I also stood behind her on every shot, but is was more to verify and assure her. It freed her up. Now I was not a full time caddie and only did a few events, but after she got on tour I talked with her full time caddie. He said the same thing she was the boss and the lining up was an assurance thing more than anything.

This is also what I noticed amongst the other players in our group. The lining up was more an assurance than anything. Very seldom did I pull my player for poor alignment. I watch a lot of LPGA golf and you don't often see a caddie stand behind a player and pull them off the shot. At the end of the day playing for your livelihood is a whole different ball game and if the caddie helping with alignment saves a stroke or two. Then that is what you do.

It annoys me, but it is what it is. Not sure if I feel strongly enough about it to call for a rule change.

If I had a huge golf match and it was in the rules I will be doing it as well.

I'm 100% against the caddie doing any lining up of the player. Not how the game should be played.

I have no issue with caddies helping with green reads. They are just not allowed to stand behind them once they line them up. If I could have someone making sure I was hitting my lines, I'd use them in a heart beat

this is how I feel about it as well. Why not get the help if its allowed.

this is how I feel about it as well. Why not get the help if its allowed.

I've never understood people taking a stand against it. It's not against the rules and it's just a second set of eyes to make sure you are lined up. The player still has to execute the shot or putt. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I've never understood people taking a stand against it. It's not against the rules and it's just a second set of eyes to make sure you are lined up. The player still has to execute the shot or putt. It doesn't hurt anyone.
I see it as artificial / outside assistance. Part of being a player is having the skill to line yourself up properly so your shot goes where it is supposed to go. It isn't that big of a deal to me that I really care, but if asked I'll offer the opinion that I don't think it is right.

Players get help reading greens, distances, wind, etc. Not a big difference, at all, with lining them up.

Caddie assisted alignment

I see it as artificial / outside assistance. Part of being a player is having the skill to line yourself up properly so your shot goes where it is supposed to go. It isn't that big of a deal to me that I really care, but if asked I'll offer the opinion that I don't think it is right.

How many players outside of Nick Faldo have had extreme success with alignment help? How many pros use this? Its not like it's an issue on the tours.

Last edited:
Back