UST-Mamiya Recoil 125F4 -vs- ProjectX LZ 6.0 -vs- Dynamic Gold S300

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I finally got my test 6 irons shafted up and ready to hit. I went to the range today with just a GW, the three 6 irons, and a couple of 3wds. My main goal was to test the 6 irons head to head. Secondary purpose was to hit my new 3wd (Callaway Rogue w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S).

First impression was that both the LZ and 125 feel far better than the old school S300 I have in my set now. I can't wait to get this test phase completed so I can put one of them in the bag.

I only got to hit about 5-6 balls each because it was cold and starting to rain harder. Between the two, I'd have to say the LZ has the lead out of the gates, but there's much, much more to be tested before I make a final decision.

On the 3wd, that 80S is too soft. I really need to try to pick up a 80X or just move my shaft over from my current 3wd. More to come on that, but I'll keep this thread more aimed at the shafts for my irons.

Project X LZ 6.0 has a nice feel. My last fitting came down to that and the Nippon NS Pro 1150 GH. Keep us updated on your comparison.

Project X LZ 6.0 has a nice feel. My last fitting came down to that and the Nippon NS Pro 1150 GH. Keep us updated on your comparison.

Will do, but it's gonna be slow probably. With the way the weather has been lately, when I get nice days, I'll likely be playing unless I don't have time for a whole round, then I might just hit the range. Would be nice to some time on a launch monitor with them, too.

So, I got a nice day after some brutal cold earlier this week. Went out to the range because I slept too long to allow myself time to get a full round in. Too bad for me, too, because it was really nice out today. I saw 70° on the readout in the truck on the way to work.

Anyway, I started a little warmup with the SW and 9i before moving on to my 6 irons. I hit 5-6 balls again with the DGold S300 for a baseline for the day. I was hitting fairly well so I moved on to the other two shafts.

I hit maybe a bucket between the two 6 irons. I'd hit 3-4 with the LZ, then 3-4 with the Recoil 125.

Carry distance seems fairly close, but I think the LZ might have the slight edge. Not by much, but maybe 2-3 yards.

I prefer the feel of the LZ. Something about the way it kicks when you put a good swing on it.

I think I prefer the ball flight of the LZ, too. Just a bit more of a boring flight than the Recoil provides.

I still have some more testing to do and I am not really in a hurry to make this decision. I probably won't reshaft my current irons (or get a new set of heads) until early 2019 so I have time to try to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Back