Langer and his cheating stroke

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Watching this right now and the last two putts you can clearly see his arm and hand pressing against his chest, no daylight at all between his hand and chest as he claims.

I know no one cares but if they are not going to enforce it why not just eliminate the rule again and let everyone that wants to do it, do it.

Just watched Maccarron and you can clearly see the separation, Langer is just untouchable I guess on the oldies tour.

The USGA and R&A should make 40" the maximum allowed length for a putter.

B Langer will continue to putt this way until someone calls him out with pictures of no separation. He knows it too.

I struggle with this every time I watch him play. I basically root for everyone but Langer partly because of it. LOL

There was controversy about this a few months ago when someone made a comment about it, but there was a lot of defending him IIRC.

The USGA and R&A should make 40" the maximum allowed length for a putter.
I've often thought something similar.

Iirc his fellow playing partners have already defended him and if they thought he was cheating I’m pretty sure they would complain. He been taking money out if their pockets for awhile now after the ban on anchored putting.

I am sitting in front of a 60+" set and the view was just off straight down the line from the front, it was very clear he was pressing the putter into his shirt and he hunches into it a bit making it even more of a press. As for the others letting him do it, it makes no sense as you say but it was very clear to me and I would think anyone else watching on a HD TV from 10 ft away.

Maccarron's setup it is night and day the separation he has is very obvious, again no one cares at the USGA and really neither do I.

It was just was so in your face I had to bring it up and lets face I don't start many new threads that make a difference to anything...

Iirc his fellow playing partners have already defended him and if they thought he was cheating I’m pretty sure they would complain. He been taking money out if their pockets for awhile now after the ban on anchored putting.

It’s a stupid rule. That being said it is a rule it should be followed.

He will continue to do it until he is called on it. Is he cheating, or pushing the rule as far as possible? If there are rules officials watching and they aren't calling it, then they must be seeing something we can not. Personally I think they should limit putter length.

What would that solve?

lol was wondering the same thing. I dont care if your putter is 80" long just use it in accordance with the stated rules.

It's just a complete joke that Langer is not called out. I just hope he is out of contention each week so we don't have to witness this travesty to the rules of golf, the other players unfortunately are paying the price for the USGA having no b*lls and call him out.

Just get rid of the dumb rule.

Anchor, don’t anchor 40”/80” it shouldn’t matter. Putting is hard no matter what and as long as everyone in the field can use it who cares. I don’t see it remotely in the same realm as a corked bat, illegal driver head etc. A 40 ft putt is a 40 ft putt I could have the end welded to a chest plate and would be just as hard.

I don't think the club touching him is enough to be in breach of the rule - isn't there something about "intent" to anchor, and the contact could just be incidental? But yeah, either ban the long putters or don't... The whole controversy feels silly, and why would Langer care what anyone thinks? Dude keeps winning.

I like the maximum putter length idea. These giant brooms for putters look ridiculous anyways.

What would that solve?

I think 40” was mentioned because most of the anchoring putters are 48-ish” long, so cutting them down by the 8” would make anchoring very uncomfortable. It would also eliminate the arm lock putter though, but again some think that’s another form of anchoring.

I don't really care what the rule is. Anchor or not. The key is enforcement. Other guys are following the rules and maybe suffering a little because of it. Why does Bernard get away with it? Enforce it or change it. Adam Scott is also awfully close to anchoring.

I think they put this anchoring rule into effect because they don't like the "look" of the long putter and thought this would put an end to it. If they really were interested in getting rid of "anchoring" then the Kuchar style of putting, which is described as "anchoring" the putter to the forearm, would be banned too. After all the shoulder acts as a fulcrum or pivot point in that style of putting.

I can't watch Langer putt like that. I know its the unpopular opinion, but I won't watch Champions events on TV if he's playing. Disagree with the rule or not, I cannot for the life of me see how he is within the rule.

I can't stand Langer. I will never give him any kudos for any wins he has obtained by putting this way. There should absolutely be a regulation putter length limit.

I support having one ambidextrous putter, same length, and grip at each green that every golfer has to use.

Back