Clubs for old guys with a decent handicap?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Just trying to get some feedback on what you would recommend for guys over 60 and with a handicap of between 10-15?

That's the age when distance suffers due to a loss of strength and flexibility. It would also be helpful if you labeled the clubs with a small, medium, or large amount of offset. The reason I say this is because I've found that I do better with clubs that have less offset and it seems like one of the things that GI and SGI clubs always have is more offset.

As a soon to be 60 year old, I find that a cup face type iron helps me retain decent distance and allows for some forgiveness. I use the Callaway Rogue pros since I also don't like a lot of offset and they have some but not extreme imo. Also the Honma P line is about the same shape wise (maybe a bit larger) and offers similar performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am right there as well, You might be able to just re-shaft the irons you have with graphite shafts or lighter steel shafts and pick up some lost distance. Just depends on how old the irons are, there are a lot of good irons out there these days with hot faces. I have the p790's with Modus 105 shafts, Rogue irons as mentioned are great as well. I would go in and get fitted, or at least hit some irons in graphite shafts and see how you like them.

Hmmm, 63 going on 53 here... Depending on what you like in an iron and your level of play, I'd say take a hard look at the Mizuno 919 Forged in Graphite - they have 2 levels of graphite shafts. I'd also look at the Ping i210, i500. The Rogues can be too shiny for me, although Callaway makes a fine iron.

I don't think there has been a better time in the history of irons in what's available for a players cavity back. Every OEM has that category done pretty well. Your list of candidates is endless. As a huge Maltby fan they have 3 or 4 irons that cover what you are looking for. Forgiveness, distance and little offset. But truthfully your choices are near endless.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hogan PTx. Factory drirect pricing with awesome Recoil graphite shafts as an option. Feel and look great, forgiving and the hollow body longer irons (4, 5, 6) are the easiest I have ever hit. All around very solid forged irons with minimal offset at a great price.

Steelhead XR Pro irons with Recoil shafts! in the 70-80g range. (2017 model)
Wilson C300 are a great budget option as well.

If money isn't a part of the equation, the new Taylormade P760, with the progressively added speedfoam from 7i to 4i, seem to perform quite exceptionally so far.

Swing speed is all relative. Yes, it decreases with age, but if it was high to begin with, it still might permit you more choices than if your driver swing speed is down, say, in the 80’s.

I would highly recommend giving the Srixon 5 series a shot. The newest version is the Z 585, followed by the Z 565 and then the Z 545. I was playing the Z 545 only two years ago, right after the Z 565 had been introduced. The Z 585s just came to market and I would think you could find a set of Z 565s at a steal. They look great (fairly minimal offset), feel soft, help a great deal with distance and are quite forgiving.

I don't think there has been a better time in the history of irons in what's available for a players cavity back. Every OEM has that category done pretty well. Your list of candidates is endless. As a huge Maltby fan they have 3 or 4 irons that cover what you are looking for. Forgiveness, distance and little offset. But truthfully your choices are near endless.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

As another who looks to components first, I'd 2nd the Maltby (or other high quality component brand) irons.

My dad is about an 11 handicap and really likes his Srixon 585's

Love the suggestions and just a few follow up questions.

The Srixon Z585 definitely intrigues me. Any club you would say compares to it? I've played the CF16 for a year but just wasn't getting the consistency that I felt I should get. Maybe it was me, but I felt like the club was letting me down, especially in the longer irons (5 and 6 irons).

Always heard from some guys I know that are all around your age and handicap that they really all like Srixon irons. Some use regular flex steel shafts and some use graphite. But have heard them say more than once that they all think highly of their Srixon irons and hit them easily. Think one guy plays some type of older Mizunos, rest play Srixon irons. Sorry I can't be more descriptive!

I'd say the i500 which has about no offset or the Z585 that has very little. With some graphite those bad boys will get you some pop and have the benefit of looking great as well.

Back