Blow on grip method- masking tape?

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen people use double sided tape for the blow on grip method- I've also seen people use regular masking tape. Is there a better choice on this?

also- if you use masking tape can you reuse the tape- say if take off an old grip and put on a new one immediately?

I cant find any specific information about layering with the blow on method? I've read that the blow on method works best if the butt diameter of the shaft is equal to or larger than the inside diameter of the grip. So I'd imagine layering tape would help?

If there's a comprehensive thread that I'm missing - I apologize- can you point me in that direction? I've watched quite a few videos and read quite a few threads and articles on the subject but am not finding any definitive answers to these questions

Thanks!

yup I've used masking and painters tape. I tend to just dip my fingers in a cup of water and then run them over the grip to make them slide on easier. I supposed you can reuse the tape, but usually if I am doing them I just redo the tape too.

I’ve only ever tried blue painters tape. It’s worked fine for me in the past. Anymore, I use the solvent method, except for putters, which I still use the blue painters tape. Makes it super easy to blow on and off, and the putter grip is one I switch out more frequently. No need to replace the tape when switching, just remove and replace. Now, if I’m testing a grip on an iron or wedge, I’ll still use painters tape. Just quicker for me to install and remove.

I use blue painters tape on every club, and I've never replaced it. On my woods I've used layers of tape to build up the bottom hand.

When calculating final grip size, each additional wrap of double-sided grip tape adds 0.014" to the grip. Each layer of painter's tape adds 0.01" to the diameter.

For those of you who use solvent when blowing on grips, can I ask why? I'd cite the lack of need for solvent as one of the biggest pros to blowing on grips. One less hazardous substance to deal with is a good thing in my book. So, if you're still using solvent, why not just use double sided tape?

For the OP, I've found that even with matching butt/grip core sizes (.600 to .600), you still need the one layer of masking tape to even things out. This is because most, if not all, shaft manufacturers leave a bit of tolerance for the tape to ensure the final sizing is accurate. For me, I've gone to 3 wraps under a .600 midsize grip on a .600 butt, but I think when I regrip, I'm going to go with a .580 GPTV standard on a .600 butt and maybe just one wrap. We'll see.

For those of you who use solvent when blowing on grips, can I ask why? I'd cite the lack of need for solvent as one of the biggest pros to blowing on grips. One less hazardous substance to deal with is a good thing in my book. So, if you're still using solvent, why not just use double sided tape?

For the OP, I've found that even with matching butt/grip core sizes (.600 to .600), you still need the one layer of masking tape to even things out. This is because most, if not all, shaft manufacturers leave a bit of tolerance for the tape to ensure the final sizing is accurate. For me, I've gone to 3 wraps under a .600 midsize grip on a .600 butt, but I think when I regrip, I'm going to go with a .580 GPTV standard on a .600 butt and maybe just one wrap. We'll see.

I use just painters tape on putters and blow the grips on. I just stick my pinky in solvent and then stick it in the grip to wet the end of it to making it easier to get it started on the shaft prior to hitting it with air to put it completely on.

Grips on all full swing clubs are still put the old fashioned way with grip tape and solvent.

Painters tape user here. A little splash of solvent makes blowing on the grip much easier, especially in the beginning. Prefer using the solvent over water because less chance of rust.

I use contact cement. Lubes it up a little to get the grip started, then gives a little extra stick when it dries, but still blows off without any issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! Really appreciate all the different methods!

Will a 2" PVC pipe work to blow off grips?

Oh and can you blow off grips that have been taped on? Do you use solvent to blow them off easier?

Am I reading this correctly that some people use regular tape instead of double sided tape? The grip does not twist on the shaft later? I use air to remove grips but have not used it to install them.

Splain please.

Am I reading this correctly that some people use regular tape instead of double sided tape? The grip does not twist on the shaft later? I use air to remove grips but have not used it to install them.

Splain please.
Correct

Thanks so much! Really appreciate all the different methods!

Will a 2" PVC pipe work to blow off grips?

Oh and can you blow off grips that have been taped on? Do you use solvent to blow them off easier?
I just use an inflator attachment to blow them on and off.

ETA: for grips that were blown on. Have never tried blowing off grips that were installed with 2 sided tape.

I just use an inflator attachment to blow them on and off.

ETA: for grips that were blown on. Have never tried blowing off grips that were installed with 2 sided tape.

Blowing off grips with two sided tape can be done but it is tricky. I use a long straight pick to get under the grip and spray some wd40. The wd40 makes the tapes glue not stick, you can then stick the pick in further to release the grip from the glue. Be careful with how much air you give it at first, they can quickly balloon and ruin the grip or worse yet burst and blow your hand open. I will only try to save newer good grips and even then is it worth the trouble?

I use 3M masking tape as it twists less than painters tape for me. I use digital calipers to measure the layers before I blow on the grip to make sure I have the right size regardless of the butt size.

I use 3M masking tape as it twists less than painters tape for me. I use digital calipers to measure the layers before I blow on the grip to make sure I have the right size regardless of the butt size.

Thanks!

One more question- for anyone

How about using a .580 grip on .600 shaft. Could that be done with no tape? Would no tape increase vibration by much? (If even advisable). I’d like to try the lamkin z5 with reminder rib. Found a good deal on red ones but they’re only in .580

Also- I’ve been hving some serious pain and weirdness in my left pinky. I was originally thinking bigger grips may help. Now I’m thinking I may need to try undersized with some tape on right hand to make like a smaller reduced taper grip.

My old 1999 “prima gold” irons have graphite shafts and the butt end on them seems tiny compared to modern irons. I don’t have calipers to measure them. Did shafts back in the day have a lot smaller butt end. The grips don’t say undersized or junior anywhere on them but they’re definitely smaller due to the smaller butt size.

What do you All think? Thanks a bunch for all the info so far!

Thanks!

One more question- for anyone

How about using a .580 grip on .600 shaft. Could that be done with no tape? Would no tape increase vibration by much? (If even advisable). I’d like to try the lamkin z5 with reminder rib. Found a good deal on red ones but they’re only in .580

Also- I’ve been hving some serious pain and weirdness in my left pinky. I was originally thinking bigger grips may help. Now I’m thinking I may need to try undersized with some tape on right hand to make like a smaller reduced taper grip.

My old 1999 “prima gold” irons have graphite shafts and the butt end on them seems tiny compared to modern irons. I don’t have calipers to measure them. Did shafts back in the day have a lot smaller butt end. The grips don’t say undersized or junior anywhere on them but they’re definitely smaller due to the smaller butt size.

What do you All think? Thanks a bunch for all the info so far!

Z5s have been one of the hardest grips for me to install. It seemed to me that they ballooned on me more often then other grips.

Z5s have been one of the hardest grips for me to install. It seemed to me that they ballooned on me more often then other grips.

I had best results when I started with low pressure and increased it very slowly until I could walk the grip onto the shaft. They do like to balloon.

Anyone got any ideas on using .580 grips with .600 shafts? What about older shafts (more than 20 years) having thinner shaft butt ends and therefore thinner grips?

Anyone got any ideas on using .580 grips with .600 shafts? What about older shafts (more than 20 years) having thinner shaft butt ends and therefore thinner grips?

I've done it with Z5s. Just start with low air pressure and ramp it up very slowly until you start to see an effect. That will reduce the chances of ballooning and damaging the grip. I understand you are using painter's tape. Are you using regular or midsize grips and what is your desired final grip diameter? I can help a little with that: your actual diameter and how many wraps you'll need.

Note that regular and midsize grips assume one layer of double-sided tape, which is 0.007" thick. Painter's tape is 0.005" thick.

Last edited:
i really dont know my desired final diameter.

I dont have any calipers to measure some grips I like and I just started playing golf again this year- I'm still experimenting trying to find out what grips I like and what hurts my pinky the least

Back