Colder weather - which golf ball

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Seeking some advice. Typically when it's colder, I play a lower compression ball. I'm playing tomorrow with a forecast of mostly sunny and high of 52. I'm not sure if that's cold "enough" to warrant switching to a lower compression ball than what I normally play. I typically play the Srixon Q Star Tour (72 compression rating) or the Bridgestone Tour B RXS (64 compression rating). Should I plan on switching to something with with a lower compression than these? Or should these balls be okay with the forecast mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance!

No need to switch at that temp at all. I played Q-Star tours last week at 45 degrees and didn't have any issues with performance.

I'd think either would be just fine at 52°. When I lived in NY, I typically didn't change balls until mid 40s. Never felt the need to from a performance perspective, it's just that my usual balls felt like range rocks.

I used to play the Wilson Zip, advertised as zero compression. Not sure of that but it was indeed mush in warmer weather, that's for sure. Played comfortably in cold weather, contact felt similar to my regular balls during the summer.

Now I'd opt for the Wilson Duo-U at 50 compression, I believe. Soft yet with a urethane cover, that trumps the Zip.

I too am playing tomorrow in 45-50* weather. I will be playing the Wilson Duo. I used to play the Zip but find the Duo to be a better ball (plus it comes in fun colors).

As soon as the fairways are no longer mushy and the weather creeps over 60* I will be back to my beloved Zstar XV

I used to switch to a lower compression ball in colder weather but found that I saw no real benefit to it. Now I just use the same balls regardless of temperature.

Same ball - regardless of temperature. I don't believe in using a "winter ball"

I used to switch to a lower compression ball in colder weather but found that I saw no real benefit to it. Now I just use the same balls regardless of temperature.

1 of the benefits I see is not losing a "good" ball when it plugs in the fairway... I'd rather lose a $1.50 ball than a $4 ball. maybe I'm cheap? :)

I have played with temps just above freezing and found no reason to change from the Chrome Soft.

1 of the benefits I see is not losing a "good" ball when it plugs in the fairway... I'd rather lose a $1.50 ball than a $4 ball. maybe I'm cheap? :)
Good point. Or in leaves in the case or my course with heavily wooded areas on both sides of the majority of fairways.

I find the ProV1x to play equally well year round. I will switch for about 6 weeks in the fall to a lower cost ball, simply because I don't want to loose expensive balls to fallen leaves.

Had a friend tell me to put your balls in a thermo cup with a hand warmer,, to heat them up. Would this be legal?

Duo is my ball of choice

Duo or Laddie but I don’t switch any longer. TP5 stays in play as long as I play. Just keep one in my pocket to stay some what warm.

I play W/S Duo U

Where I live a heat wave is 70*, usually average 60* in summer and high 40s in winter and I play the same ball all year. Mostly because I play a softer ball to begin with chrome soft but lately really liking the Bridgestone tour B RX and RXS.

Where I live a heat wave is 70*, usually average 60* in summer and high 40s in winter and I play the same ball all year. Mostly because I play a softer ball to begin with chrome soft but lately really liking the Bridgestone tour B RX and RXS.

I agree. I've also been playing the Tour B RXS recently and loving it. Will probably play it tomorrow since it's pretty soft and low compression. Coldest round I'll have here all year is in the 40's or 50's.

Wilson DuoSoft or Callaway SuperSoft are the first that come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll be fine at that temp with those.

But, if wanting to go lower, look at the Duo Urethane. It’s winter ball, best if both worlds for winter golf.

I think people over think this one. Yes, the ball flies shorter in the cold, but your swing is also different due to layers. I think changing your ball is a bit overkill unless there is a cost component. I played srixon zstar xv in 35 degree weather today and yes my distances were shorter but I still shot a good score since the feel is what I'm used to.

I like the chrome soft in the colder weather, normally play V1X

Seeking some advice. Typically when it's colder, I play a lower compression ball. I'm playing tomorrow with a forecast of mostly sunny and high of 52. I'm not sure if that's cold "enough" to warrant switching to a lower compression ball than what I normally play. I typically play the Srixon Q Star Tour (72 compression rating) or the Bridgestone Tour B RXS (64 compression rating). Should I plan on switching to something with with a lower compression than these? Or should these balls be okay with the forecast mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance!

Since you like Srixon why don't you try the Soft feel? I see alot of people going to a lower compression during the cold months.
The Maxfli Softfli is a great ball and I hear good things about the Wilson Duo U.

I ended up going with the Tour B RXS primarily. Seemed to play the best today. Played the Q Star Tour and Titleist AVX a few holes to see how they'd do. They worked well too. Once the new Wilson Duo Professional comes out in early December, I'd like to give them a try in cold weather as well.

Today's temp at a 6:45 tee time was 40 deg. 56 deg when we finished at 10:30. Played the Titleist AVX and will play this ball thru winter. Great impact feel, great distance throughout the clubs and great feel off the putter.

Back