Reshafting for the first time- Precalculating swing weight and have distress

Reaction score
Handicap
So I just pulled my shafts for the first time- off my bridgestone j38's- everything went smoothly. I'm trading the project x shafts with a forum member straight up for some kbs 90's. I love the j38s but I cant just go to a shop and try a bunch of different shafts on em ya know. I'm 99% sure lighter shafts are gonna help me- as I'm suffering from super low ball flight and not enough distance.

I've got a problem though- preliminary swing weight calculations- using the swing weight calculator found here

https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator/

are showing a swing weight of c3- which is ridiculously low, right? I know I want a lighteroverall weight but I'd like to be able to feel the head of the club in my swing.

So i measured the heads on the bridgestones and they go from 244g 4i to 287g pw

I'm calculating for standard length but I may extend the shafts as my ping fit wrist to floor plus height shows +1/4" and I could use the distance of an extra 1/2"

anyways- 4iron- 244g head weight- uncut shaft weight 95g (I guess- kbs tour 90 taper tip lists only one weight and a bunch of different shaft lengths depending on what club you order the shaft for)

total club length=38.5
uncut shaft length- i guess its like 39? I cant find that or the exact uncut shaft weight- but messing with those doesnt really help the total swing weight number enough

The grips that come with it are cp2 midsize- which weigh in at 63.5g

If I do keep a 38.5" 4 iron length that makes a c3 swing weight- going to 39" makes it c6-

When I took the PX shafts off there were some weights in the tips- 1x1g 2x2g's and 4x3g's- but even adding the 3g tip weight only gets me an extra 1.5 points

Will the ferrule and epoxy add anything to swing weight- or do I just need to get some heavier tip weights? Is that my only solution besides lighter grips? I'm not sure what I want to play but I'd imagine at least d0

thanks- maybe this calculator isnt accurate or I've got something wrong here?!?

ANy input is appreciated!

Good Morning Clay,

Best advice I can give is seek Tom Wishon's expertise on-line. I am sure he has written in detail about your dilemma. He is much more likely to talk about Moment of Inertia - MOI. This the modern term for what you seek.

RE SW change - it really all simple physics. A golf club is a third class lever. Increasing the mass of the club beyond the grip end and increasing the length of the club will increase the SW. Unfortunately, lengthening the club is likely to change more properties of the club than your would desire

I believe it's a greater challenge to increase SW unless the the club has an unused hosel port - shaft tipping with lead or using lead tape will increase very little SW. My weight material of choice has been Tungsten for this reason.

Again, Tom probably has some good information out there.

PI

Ordering some tip weights, or tungsten powder to pour down the shaft, from GolfWorks will probably be your best bet. They will add head weight. 2 grams added to head = 1 SW point increase. If just 1 or 2 point increase is desired, you could also easily accomplish that with high density lead tape.

So I just pulled my shafts for the first time- off my bridgestone j38's- everything went smoothly. I'm trading the project x shafts with a forum member straight up for some kbs 90's. I love the j38s but I cant just go to a shop and try a bunch of different shafts on em ya know. I'm 99% sure lighter shafts are gonna help me- as I'm suffering from super low ball flight and not enough distance.

I've got a problem though- preliminary swing weight calculations- using the swing weight calculator found here

https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator/

are showing a swing weight of c3- which is ridiculously low, right? I know I want a lighteroverall weight but I'd like to be able to feel the head of the club in my swing.

So i measured the heads on the bridgestones and they go from 244g 4i to 287g pw

I'm calculating for standard length but I may extend the shafts as my ping fit wrist to floor plus height shows +1/4" and I could use the distance of an extra 1/2"

anyways- 4iron- 244g head weight- uncut shaft weight 95g (I guess- kbs tour 90 taper tip lists only one weight and a bunch of different shaft lengths depending on what club you order the shaft for)

total club length=38.5
uncut shaft length- i guess its like 39? I cant find that or the exact uncut shaft weight- but messing with those doesnt really help the total swing weight number enough

The grips that come with it are cp2 midsize- which weigh in at 63.5g

If I do keep a 38.5" 4 iron length that makes a c3 swing weight- going to 39" makes it c6-

When I took the PX shafts off there were some weights in the tips- 1x1g 2x2g's and 4x3g's- but even adding the 3g tip weight only gets me an extra 1.5 points

Will the ferrule and epoxy add anything to swing weight- or do I just need to get some heavier tip weights? Is that my only solution besides lighter grips? I'm not sure what I want to play but I'd imagine at least d0

thanks- maybe this calculator isnt accurate or I've got something wrong here?!?

ANy input is appreciated!

Do you know the swing weight of your J38 heads with the Project X shafts ? If so, which grip model were on your J38 set with Project X?

Good Morning Clay,

Best advice I can give is seek Tom Wishon's expertise on-line. I am sure he has written in detail about your dilemma. He is much more likely to talk about Moment of Inertia - MOI. This the modern term for what you seek.

RE SW change - it really all simple physics. A golf club is a third class lever. Increasing the mass of the club beyond the grip end and increasing the length of the club will increase the SW. Unfortunately, lengthening the club is likely to change more properties of the club than your would desire

I believe it's a greater challenge to increase SW unless the the club has an unused hosel port - shaft tipping with lead or using lead tape will increase very little SW. My weight material of choice has been Tungsten for this reason.

Again, Tom probably has some good information out there.

PI

What do you mean unused hosel port? What’s that?

Do you know the swing weight of your J38 heads with the Project X shafts ? If so, which grip model were on your J38 set with Project X?

Not really... supposedly the j38s are only d1 stock but they would’ve had to use tip weights to get there even with 49.5g tour velvet grips 120g project x shaft. Including 1.5g for the ferrule that calculator is only showing me c9 for the swing weight I suppose the tip weights that came out if one of the 3g weights was in there and 1g of epoxy it would have gotten the swing weight pretty close to d1.

Should I use a different calculator? Should I use a balance point type measurement? How much weight should I add to head weight to account for ferrule and epoxy?

Thanks!

The uncut shaft would be 40.5" based on KBS Tour 90 .355 Taper Tip.

4 Iron +1/2 inch. (39")

Just changing the grip to a much lighter grip (42gr.) rather than the 62gr. would probably resolve your situation and get you much closer to the D1 your looking for.

Hope this helps!

Club Length: inches 39

Uncut Shaft Length: inches 40.5

Uncut Shaft Weight: grams 95

Head Weight: grams 244 4 iron

Grip Weight: grams 42

Swingweight: D0.6

Please keep in mind the calculator was what I used, but this is only a calculation to get you near the desired S/W.
You would still have to assemble each club(loose fit) and then measure and adjust each club accordingly on a Swing Weight scale to achieve the desired S/W.

Last edited:
Do you have any experience with the thing where you balance the club on the shaft and measure the balance point then use the total weight to get a swing weight? Is that accurate?

And I’d like to use light grips but unfortunately I need grips with some cushion as I have some pain in my fingers.

So would using up to 10-12g shaft tip weights be a problem? Would those affect the play of the club that much?

Do you have any experience with the thing where you balance the club on the shaft and measure the balance point then use the total weight to get a swing weight? Is that accurate?

And I’d like to use light grips but unfortunately I need grips with some cushion as I have some pain in my fingers.

Quite a lot. I built mine several years back and it’s really the only one I use now.
I’m pretty particular when it comes to all club specs. and I’ve tested it against other swing weight devices so I have a great deal of confidence in it.
Pretty hard to beat the Winn grips if you’re looking for the cushion feel.

Not really... supposedly the j38s are only d1 stock but they would’ve had to use tip weights to get there even with 49.5g tour velvet grips 120g project x shaft. Including 1.5g for the ferrule that calculator is only showing me c9 for the swing weight I suppose the tip weights that came out if one of the 3g weights was in there and 1g of epoxy it would have gotten the swing weight pretty close to d1.

Should I use a different calculator? Should I use a balance point type measurement? How much weight should I add to head weight to account for ferrule and epoxy?

Thanks!

I expect that if you shaft a single J38 (for example the 5-iron) with the KBS90, +.25" over your former Project X 5-iron length, using CP2 wrap midsize, it will swing weight at C8.
The heavy weight grip is the primary factor for making the swing weight low. If you gripped with Tour Velvet the SW would be D1.
If you want to keep the CP Wrap mid size then the KBS 90 at plus .75" (over your Project X 5-iron length), will get you D1.

I expect that if you shaft a single J38 (for example the 5-iron) with the KBS90, +.25" over your former Project X 5-iron length, using CP2 wrap midsize, it will swing weight at C8.
The heavy weight grip is the primary factor for making the swing weight low. If you gripped with Tour Velvet the SW would be D1.
If you want to keep the CP Wrap mid size then the KBS 90 at plus .75" (over your Project X 5-iron length), will get you D1.

If you put all the info into the swing weight calculators I've found online- it will show the swing weight at more like C1.

What should I use for the "raw length" of shafts for the KBS tour 90's. The taper tip .355" tour 90's come in different lengths depending on which club you order for. I sent them an email asking what the weights and lengths for the different club shafts were= they sent me the shortest possible response- that didnt help at all "95g stiff 102g" is what KBS said- So are all the different shaft lengths for different clubs the same weight? The 2 iron shaft is the same as the 5" shorter PW length?

Is there any particular swing weight calculator I should be using? How much weight do the ferrule and epoxy add to head weight?

really trying to get my clubs somewhat close in swing weight before I start assembling them. And I'm really just trying to get in the center of a good weight like D2 for 55g of grip with all the clubs- where I'm at right now just assembling all of the clubs without any weights and all the same grips I will have different swing weights on each club according to the calculators.

So not knowing the raw length of the shafts of the KBS tour 90 and the raw weights is driving me crazy- Because i need to order different tip weights for all my clubs. its looking like the 4 longer irons need more weight (and probably pretty close to the same amount) added than the 8,9,pw but they need some different amounts- Its gona be about 10g for long irons and 2.5-6g for shorter irons

If you put all the info into the swing weight calculators I've found online- it will show the swing weight at more like C1.

What should I use for the "raw length" of shafts for the KBS tour 90's. The taper tip .355" tour 90's come in different lengths depending on which club you order for. I sent them an email asking what the weights and lengths for the different club shafts were= they sent me the shortest possible response- that didnt help at all "95g stiff 102g" is what KBS said- So are all the different shaft lengths for different clubs the same weight? The 2 iron shaft is the same as the 5" shorter PW length?

Is there any particular swing weight calculator I should be using? How much weight do the ferrule and epoxy add to head weight?

really trying to get my clubs somewhat close in swing weight before I start assembling them. And I'm really just trying to get in the center of a good weight like D2 for 55g of grip with all the clubs- where I'm at right now just assembling all of the clubs without any weights and all the same grips I will have different swing weights on each club according to the calculators.

So not knowing the raw length of the shafts of the KBS tour 90 and the raw weights is driving me crazy- Because i need to order different tip weights for all my clubs. its looking like the 4 longer irons need more weight (and probably pretty close to the same amount) added than the 8,9,pw but they need some different amounts- Its gona be about 10g for long irons and 2.5-6g for shorter irons

Forget the "swing weight calculator".
I suggest you assemble a 7-iron or 5-iron with the head-grip-shaft you like and that will give you a true swing weight.
If you would like the swing weight to be D1 or D2, then butt trim the shaft to be an extra long, then you can later butt trim the shaft to get the exact swing weight you want.

Forget the "swing weight calculator".
I suggest you assemble a 7-iron or 5-iron with the head-grip-shaft you like and that will give you a true swing weight.
If you would like the swing weight to be D1 or D2, then butt trim the shaft to be an extra long, then you can later butt trim the shaft to get the exact swing weight you want.

i'm pretty sure the last thing youd want to do is to adjust length to get a swing weight you want. I dont know much, but ive read enough to know thats probably terrible advice- yes length does affect how heavy a club feels when you swing it. but it affects so many other things- If i had been into this just a bit longer than i have- id call this ludicrous advice. but maybe im wrong- someone else help me here?

i'm pretty sure the last thing youd want to do is to adjust length to get a swing weight you want. I dont know much, but ive read enough to know thats probably terrible advice- yes length does affect how heavy a club feels when you swing it. but it affects so many other things- If i had been into this just a bit longer than i have- id call this ludicrous advice. but maybe im wrong- someone else help me here?

Definitely not the way I'd go about it either, but I've found that "chasing a swingweight" is mostly unneeded. This is especially true once you throw in a heavy grip. The grip will change the swingweight, but will not affect the feel of the club so much since all the extra weight is in your hands. If you start adding gobs of weight to the head to achieve an arbitrary number on the swingweight scale, you're going to soften the flex of your shafts. If you're fine with that, then so be it. If not, at least you know what you're getting into.

The OP seems to be focused on final swing weight, which is a good thing.
Something is way off base in whatever he is doing regarding use of a "swing weight calculator".
Considering he already owns the heads and shafts the most sensible thing for him to do is assemble one club, which will give him an actual true swing weight.
As for butt trimming to achieve a particular swing weight, I did it with my current driver, fairway metal and hybrid, and these clubs perform very well.
If for some reason the OP has a particular finished length in mind, for example 38" 5-iron, he can assemble the 5-iron at 38.5", learn where that finished club's swing weight falls, swing it and play the club some, then go from there deciding whether to keep it as is or butt trim it some or use a different weight grip or add some tip weights etc....
The first step in the process should be building a single club, and erring on the side of too long a finished length is better than too short.

So some people are saying swing weight is more important than a specific length. I am not chasing that much. The only reason I’m concerned is because the swing weight calculators are showing super low numbers with the standard length shafts. I’m thinking someone may have taken weight off these heads when they added 1/2” shaft inserts. I’m really just trying to estimate what tip weights to order to get me in ballpark end swing weights with 52g grips. I honestly think swing weight is kind of. A home if you start factoring in other grip weights but standard 50-55g grips. If you put heavy grips in irons they aren’t gonna feel like they swing lighter at all. Maybe it’s different with longer lighter shaded clubs like a driver. But a club with a heavier grip still just feels heavier to me. Again I’ve only tried with steel shafted irons.

How bout this what would be a good standard for iron head weights? I’d actually like them on the lighter side. And I’m really wondering if these swing weight calculators are garbage because they give different results.

So what are some good weights for standard iron set heads 3-gw.

Though I am also considering the swing weight because I’d like my shorter irons to swing heavier than long irons. Assembling the clubs and disassembling and testing seems like a lot of work in the modern world of maths we live in.

Thanks

So some people are saying swing weight is more important than a specific length. I am not chasing that much. The only reason I’m concerned is because the swing weight calculators are showing super low numbers with the standard length shafts. I’m thinking someone may have taken weight off these heads when they added 1/2” shaft inserts. I’m really just trying to estimate what tip weights to order to get me in ballpark end swing weights with 52g grips. I honestly think swing weight is kind of. A home if you start factoring in other grip weights but standard 50-55g grips. If you put heavy grips in irons they aren’t gonna feel like they swing lighter at all. Maybe it’s different with longer lighter shaded clubs like a driver. But a club with a heavier grip still just feels heavier to me. Again I’ve only tried with steel shafted irons.

How bout this what would be a good standard for iron head weights? I’d actually like them on the lighter side. And I’m really wondering if these swing weight calculators are garbage because they give different results.

Though I am also considering the swing weight because I’d like my shorter irons to swing heavier than long irons. Assembling the clubs and disassembling and testing seems like a lot of work in the modern world of maths we live in.

Thanks

The headweights you posted in the OP look about 4-5 grams light to me.

Thanks

Something is way off in the "swing weight calculator" you are using.
If you actually assemble a club (with the shafts and grips you've written about) I expect you will find the swing weight will be D1 or D2.
My G700 4-iron head weighs 227 grams, fitted to a 107 gram steel shaft, with a 63 gram grip, a finished length of 38 7/8" ", and a swing weight of D2.

Back