THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

What school? We' have to meet sometime since you are in the area

Southampton Middle.

Most definitely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was on a tight schedule so I grabbed the shag bag and went over to a school and hit them. I have several hundred balls in the basement-long story-and picked up most of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What school? We' have to meet sometime since you are in the area

Plus - you can say it ( my wife does lol ) - I'm stupid, not tough! When it comes to cold, the wind is the killer. I hate wind!

I know that thought well and my wife also things I am stupid. Went out once that during the middle of the round it started to sleet and by the 15th hole the ground was covered. I figured that I was almost done so I would finish the round. Watching the rooster tails on the putts was pretty entertaining.

I am with you on the wind; it will just send a chill through your body that you can't get rid of. Staying warm is really about layering and it is amazing how warm you can stay. My problem is my hands, hard to keep them warm even with cart gloves.

Nice back half. Keep it going if you can manage it after a BK lunch.
Thanks. I really struggled the first four holes, but once I got past the group that was ahead of me, I picked up the pace and played bogey golf the rest of the way. I also changed putters at the same time :silly:

No golf activities for me today but I did get 10 hours painting in on my day off work.

Here is a question.

How do the hopefuls plan on switching from a Team mentality to a self mentality once you've pushed the peg in the ground on the first tee. Is there a difference in mindset?

IMO there is no switching from one mentality to the other when you put the tee in the ground. You should be willing to play hard and play your best if it is part of a team or playing for just your own self pride. Play smart and play with confidence. In my past golf team experiences once the round starts I was focused on who I was playing and how I was playing, not worrying about the team or how we were doing.

Yeah, that's how I was yesterday. Summer to...
Man its odd coming from perfect in San Diego to freezing here. Inside putting is on the agenda now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't see that there is a difference in the mentality how we have #THPRegionalRivalry set up. By this I mean that I picture myself as a cog in the machine that is my team. Any chance I can get to maintain focus and keep grinding gives my team the same advantages.
When I was in high school I swam the 500m freestyle. In my mind, that race is very similar to a round of golf. In both you have to temper your excitement off the blocks, maintain your pace, and keep enough in the tank to properly execute a sprint at the end.
In both the Regional Rivalry and the swim team, our individual efforts reinforced the team's advances.
Here is a question.

How do the hopefuls plan on switching from a Team mentality to a self mentality once you've pushed the peg in the ground on the first tee. Is there a difference in mindset?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The formula for winning as an individual is the same as winning as a team. Especially when winning as an individual in a team competition. Focus stays the same, approach to each hole stays the same, sportsmanship stays the same. When running a relay race the goal is to be the first team to cross the line, but each person has to individually run a great race to achieve that goal. So no, no change in approach.

I could not even imagine. I remember playing when it was 43 and I thought I was going to die.

Well, I finally thawed out from practicing in 20 degree weather yesterday (maybe even colder with the wind chill). Worked primarily on chipping 75% of the time and putting the other 25%. Didn't hit any irons or woods for fear that they would shatter from the cold temps, LOL. I must be getting old, I don't plan on doing that again any time soon. Heated stalls at LGP or AGP here I come!

First round: 49/44. Governors Run.

Off to Darlington CC now after a BK run.

Nice round! Way to knock of a few strokes on the back!

Here is a question.

I don't think there is a different mindset, only that you have to accommodate the fact that you have another golfer to take into account. You still have to hit the ball and being on a team shouldn't change that.

Well, I finally thawed out from practicing in 20 degree weather yesterday (maybe even colder with the wind chill). Worked primarily on chipping 75% of the time and putting the other 25%. Didn't hit any irons or woods for fear that they would shatter from the cold temps, LOL. I must be getting old, I don't plan on doing that again any time soon. Heated stalls at LGP or AGP here I come!

I'll be at AGP tomorrow night Jose.. just sayin'!

You fair weather folk! LOL

Spending my college years in Buffalo taught me one thing ... layers.

But not just layering up, but smart layering. Need something to cut the wind, which is what really kills people when they're out in low temps. Also, a good hat and hand warmers are essential. I use a football handwarmer and it really does the job. A balaclava over the neck and mouth also help keep you comfortable. And a good pair of running tights (or thermal underwear) as well.

But not just layering up, but smart layering. Need something to cut the wind, which is what really kills people when they're out in low temps. Also, a good hat and hand warmers are essential. I use a football handwarmer and it really does the job. A balaclava over the neck and mouth also help keep you comfortable. And a good pair of running tights (or thermal underwear) as well.

Says the man who moved to South Carolina :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference is that us in FL dont have to jump out when its 40 to play, because there might not be another day that warm. Three days later its 65 and sunny.

Says the man who moved to South Carolina :D
For work. I would have stayed in Peoria, IL if they had found a job for me. But yeah, who am I kidding, it's nice to wear shorts in the winter time ... and make fun of all my friends back home complaining about the -10 weather! :silly:

Was shocked that I was the only one out on the course yesterday, and only one of two groups on the other. It was a holiday folks! Nothing more holiday-y than golfing!

The difference is that us in FL dont have to jump out when its 40 to play, because there might not be another day that warm. Three days later its 65 and sunny.
I just talked to one of our VP's who's Orlando based. He asked me to tell him what the temp was here today, so he'd feel better about the 40 degrees it was there early this morning...When I told him he pretty much asked the same thing you do about all of us that choose to live up here. Why?

Bring on spring and warmer temps so I can get some real practice in!

Looking forward to my #THPCallout against Tadashi next week. it will be good prep for playing under pressure, should I make the team.

Looking forward to my #THPCallout against Tadashi next week. it will be good prep for playing under pressure, should I make the team.

Saw the #THPCallout this morning. Good luck!

Oh oh man that's awesome, he's fun to play with.

born and raised in Buffalo. Left in February 93 and only go back during warmer weather and periodically for New Years. I have my limits and it's 40 with no wind. If there is a decent wind the temps have to be closer to 50

The difference here in southern VA is that is will be 65, three days later 30 and snowing, 6 days later 55 again. :banghead:

The difference here in southern VA is that is will be 65, three days later 30 and snowing, 6 days later 55 again. :banghead:

Just roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! It will be fun to follow along.

Back