2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THPers were some of the first to put this ball in play. This thread will be used for reviews of the new Callaway Chrome Soft golf ball.

Details
The new Chrome Soft builds on last year's highly successful product and introduces the proprietary Dual SoftFast Core™, which leads to fast ball speeds off the driver for exceptional distance. The ball is designed with low spin off the tee for players who need spin reduction to optimize their launch conditions for longer drives. Callaway is the only golf ball company that has new Dual SoftFast Core technology.

The new Chrome Soft ball has a 4-piece construction that includes a mantle layer and a Tour Urethane Cover for even more control throughout the bag, especially off the scoring clubs. This allows for even more spin on aggressive shots into the green. The Dual SoftFast Core also lets golfers compress the ball on irons shots for long, straight flight, and early testers have remarked that it has great feel into the green. Phil Mickelson, Danny Lee, Matt Every and Marc Leishman are among the players who have already used a prototype of the new Chrome Soft on Tour.

Chrome-Soft-2016.jpg

Looking forward to reading reviews from guys that have put these into play.

I guess I'm falling behind....I didn't know there was a new version.

Seriously? I just bought a dozen Chrome Softs and now they release a new version. These release cycles are too insane!:angel:

All kidding aside, I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference with the new version compared to last years. Any word if they have a 2016 model with the truvis markings?

• Admin
Seriously? I just bought a dozen Chrome Softs and now they release a new version. These release cycles are too insane!:angel:

All kidding aside, I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference with the new version compared to last years. Any word if they have a 2016 model with the truvis markings?

To be fair, this was talked about pretty heavily in the Grandaddy Live Update thread for those that followed. Lots and Lots of information there.

I know you were joking, but the previous version was announced in July of 2014.

I hope they keep the price point

edit: $40. shouldve just went to callaway.com lol

AngryYankee they have the Truvis listed on their website too.

Oh yes, ready to get to work so I can sit down and lay out my thoughts on them. I have rather enjoyed them thus far.

Looking forward to hearing from the guys who got to play several rounds with these. I had a chance to play a few holes with the prototype. I liked it better than the first release on all shots.

If there is any improvement at all over last year's version this is going to be a great ball. Looking forward to trying them when it isn't 8 degrees outside!!

I need to try these, got a sleeve recently from Callaway but waiting for it to be a tad warmer. 2015 version is a very solid ball so similar to the B330 series, any improvement is impressive.

The Truvis Chrome Soft has been my ball of choice for several months now, I love that no one in my regular uses them. Great performance and easily identifiable are winners in my book. Looking forward to trying the 2016 version. I hope some reviews hit this thread soon.

The thread I was waiting for. I have a lot of thoughts I need to get down as I played the previous version chrome soft last year.

I've played the chrome soft so I am going to be following closely to hear comparisons between last year and this year's

Anybody have a idea of which ball this can be compared to? Is there anything similar like this on the market?

Anybody have a idea of which ball this can be compared to? Is there anything similar like this on the market?
I imagine that the new Chrome Soft & the Duo Urethane will get a lot of comparison, but they're both new to market.

Personally I've compared & have thoughts compared to

2015- ZStar
2015-Prov 1
Previous Chrome Soft.

Can't wait to get my sleeve out into warm weather and play. Heard some great feedback already from the Grandaddy guys and it's tour validated with 7 wins I believe.

Imho, nothing as of the moment.

I played ChromeSofts all the way up to #TheGrandaddy and coming from B330-RX it took a little getting used to the sound, I really like the performance of both balls but ChromeSoft tended to seem a tiny bit clicker sound wise for me.

Now on to the 2016 Chrome Soft, we received 2 dozen in our #TheGrandaddy bags and obviously out right into play. I have 11 of these bad boys left after #TheGrandaddy. I judge my ball selection mostly on sound/feel with the short irons, wedges and putter. This new ball fell right into what I like about a golf ball. If I'm not mistaken this ball is actually a little bit higher compression than the 2014 version but I thought the sound of the ball was less clicky, which mentally for me feels softer and right up my alley. There is no problem spinning these balls and holding greens and I'm certainly not a single digit, I really can't wait for more time with these once winter is over but coming back from Cali this ball has the #1 spot in my bag for golf items that fall into the hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to hear the thoughts on these from the Grandaddy guys.

Saw an advert for these in the golf magazine I have a subscription to here in the UK and if I remember right the price was pretty close to the previous version when it first came out

I have 2 or 3 sleeves of these sitting at home that I will be using once the weather lets me out on the course, but once those have gone I will definitely be picking up some of these to try as well if I can't get the previous version any cheaper

Can't wait to hear what those who have already been playing them have to say

i loved chromesoft. i've been told that it is pretty low spin off the driver, which would usually be a bad thing for me being a low spin player. but i like it a lot. i wonder if this year's version will be even lower off the driver, and i may need to seek out something else maybe the new 330rx or 330rxs.

Love the sounds of this ball, I was immediately a huge fan of last year's Chrome Soft so if they're making that ball better, I'm in!

i loved chromesoft. i've been told that it is pretty low spin off the driver, which would usually be a bad thing for me being a low spin player. but i like it a lot. i wonder if this year's version will be even lower off the driver, and i may need to seek out something else maybe the new 330rx or 330rxs.

Low compression will spin less off of the driver, due to a number of factors including compressing the ball in full. Couple that with a lower spin head and you have a very low spin combination.

Love that I am finally able to share my thoughts with everyone on this ball. Starting the 2015 season I was playing mostly a mix of ProV1x and B330. I think those two balls are pretty close to everything I am looking for in a ball. After the Gauntlet I switched to the Chrome Soft so I could get used to it for the Grandaddy. Before I made the switch my only experience with the Chrome Soft was on the putting green and it was much softer than I was used to and at that point I was a little turned off by it but once I made the full time switch I got really comfortable with the ball. If I could make any adjustments to the Chrome Soft it would be to take the compression up just a bit to add that bit of firmness off the tee and with iron shots but still keep the softness around the greens. Well thats exactly what the new Chrome Soft was for me. My first tee shot with it felt and sounded perfect to me. A few things stuck out right away:

- The ball feels very similar to the ProV1x off the tee IMO. I want to be able to feel the ball at impact on a well struck shot and the new Chrome Soft feels great
- Very durable. The cover didnt peel or scuff up from sand or trees and trust me, I hit a fair share of both trees and bunkers. The only real scuff on the ball came from a cart path and even then it only scuffed off some of the paint on the ball logo.
- Still workable yet reliably straight ball flight on both iron and tee shots. I was able to play a draw still when I needed to but there wasnt a ton of side spin off the tee.
- The short game magic is still there even though it is a little bit firmer.
- I agree with Harvmp. The ball sounds and feels less clicky than most balls in this category

Back