Launch Monitor Iron Shaft Choice...More confused than ever!

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
ad-label.gif

So, went into pgatour superstore to purchase a G400 3W..ended up getting on the mizuno DNA Swing analyzer and then spent time on the monitor with 3 different shafts and im as confused as ever.

I have never went through a formal soup to nuts iron fitting...have done a few here and there...was told at a demo day last March(prior to my season) that i had above average swing speed...very smooth transition...miss is a big hook left...was told it was due to the fact that i speed up/come over the top and hook it...so more weight was recommended and he had me hit C-Tapers

I played this entire season with TT DG AMTs S300 which i liked MUCH better than than my shaft last season (modus 105s)

So my DNA Numbers were:
SS:89
Tempo: 4
Toe Down:2.3
Kick:4
Release:5

Recommended: C-Taper Lite X Project X 5.5 Project X LZ 5.5 TT DG 120

I asked to Demo C-Taper Lite X...KBS Tour S...TT DG 120 with a 919 forged 7 iron

I had my usually miss left with all three shafts...dispersion was VERY similar with C-Taper Lite possibly a slight edge
However, Ball Speed..Distance were WAY up with C-Taper Lite....SPIN/Launch was pretty similar...

So, my question haha.....is this enough data to say C-Taper Lite X-flex is the shaft for me? at 115g is it still too light? I still had a few big hooks is there a shaft similar to C-Taper Lite but over 115gs?

I have all sorts of launch monitor numbers too if someone with knowledge would like them to help....all shots were same club with a Taylormade Tour Preferred X golf ball.

Thanks so much for anyway willing to read all of this and give an opinion!

I think there are a few contradictory positions within your post.
For example, one contradiction is that you claim to have a smooth transition but also a tendency to "get fast-come over the top".
Also, C-Taper Lite X flex is significantly stiffer feeling, harsher sounding shaft than the other shafts the fitter recommended, so that is confusing.
Based on all you've written my best guess is that you will get your best shot consistency with the tried and true classic iron shaft, DG S300.

I think there are a few contradictory positions within your post.
For example, one contradiction is that you claim to have a smooth transition but also a tendency to "get fast-come over the top".
Also, C-Taper Lite X flex is significantly stiffer feeling, harsher sounding shaft than the other shafts the fitter recommended, so that is confusing.
Based on all you've written my best guess is that you will get your best shot consistency with the tried and true classic iron shaft, DG S300.

Sorry..My tempo is moderate my transition is smooth...My miss or my mess up is when i get quick and come over the top

Sorry..My tempo is moderate my transition is smooth...My miss or my mess up is when i get quick and come over the top

Considering that you did not like playing Nippon 105, you can eliminate shaft (s) below 115 gram weight.
The shafts recommended by the fitter were so completely different from each other you can eliminate the fitter's recommendations.
For now I suggest you strike some shots with the DGS300 ; it's a proven shaft shaft of about 124 gram weight, known for offering shot making distance and accuracy consistency. Try it and see how you like it.

Considering that you did not like playing Nippon 105, you can eliminate shaft (s) below 115 gram weight.
The shafts recommended by the fitter were so completely different from each other you can eliminate the fitter's recommendations.
For now I suggest you strike some shots with the DGS300 ; it's a proven shaft shaft of about 124 gram weight, known for offering shot making distance and accuracy consistency. Try it and see how you like it.

He's basically playing S300 right now as he is playing AMTs, the AMTs just have a little extra help with launch in the long irons but the short irons are very similar to the standard S300.

C-Taper Lite X flex is not going to play as stiff as other X flex shafts. If you wanted to go heavier, you could go standard C Taper but I would try S and X in that line to see what you like. PX 5.5 and PX LZ 5.5 are both going to be 115 grams as well.

Just by the recommendations with an 89 mph swing speed, I can tell that your transition and smooth and you load the club gradually. If you are getting much better ball speed with C-Taper Lite X flex in your irons, I wouldn't worry about what the label on the shaft says and just go with it. I play X in my irons and S in my woods/hybrid, it's just what works for me, flex doesn't have to be the same all the way through the bag.

He's basically playing S300 right now as he is playing AMTs, the AMTs just have a little extra help with launch in the long irons but the short irons are very similar to the standard S300.

C-Taper Lite X flex is not going to play as stiff as other X flex shafts. If you wanted to go heavier, you could go standard C Taper but I would try S and X in that line to see what you like. PX 5.5 and PX LZ 5.5 are both going to be 115 grams as well.

Just by the recommendations with an 89 mph swing speed, I can tell that your transition and smooth and you load the club gradually. If you are getting much better ball speed with C-Taper Lite X flex in your irons, I wouldn't worry about what the label on the shaft says and just go with it. I play X in my irons and S in my woods/hybrid, it's just what works for me, flex doesn't have to be the same all the way through the bag.

So, that is the one kicker i know for a fact my SS was a little down...(haven't swung in 3 weeks prior to yesterday) my avg 6 iron is 91...Driver is 106

I am wondering if anyone who is more an expert in launch monitor numbers would look at the numbers i had with each

S300 is actually 130g. The amt he is currently playing are s300 and start with 130g in pa abd then drop by 3g in each shaft going to the long irons. I wouldn’t eliminate shafts below 115g because some will play differently than others.

imo he probavky would get along with modus 120 or kbs tour

S300 is actually 130g. The amt he is currently playing are s300 and start with 130g in pa abd then drop by 3g in each shaft going to the long irons. I wouldn’t eliminate shafts below 115g because some will play differently than others.

imo he probavky would get along with modus 120 or kbs tour

KBS Tour was one of the shafts i tried...was good but i think C-Taper Lite beat it

KBS Tour was one of the shafts i tried...was good but i think C-Taper Lite beat it

Based on your fitting and what you currently play the miss is more swing related than shaft. If you wanted something similar to your amt you could go with DG 120 you were recommended for or maybe kbs $ taper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your fitting and what you currently play the miss is more swing related than shaft. If you wanted something similar to your amt you could go with DG 120 you were recommended for or maybe kbs $ taper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the information...Thanks again

If i could id like to change the topic a bit...I am not so sure i will change anything but last night and this morning I have done TONS of research and have a few new questions...Also, would love for someone with knowledge to look at the launch monitor numbers i got yesterday.

So, researching Mizuno Optimizer...KBS shafts..and knowing what i have been told (from professionals) about my swing...C-Taper/C-taper lite seems to make sense..

IF i were to change:

My question: It seems C-Taper would give me characteristics i would want plus give me a lower ball flight (which i am slightly high) and the LITTLE bit of extra weight.....C-Taper Lite X-flex would again give me characteristics i would want plus higher ball flight but more spin (I'm a lower spin player)

In that situation, what takes preference? Launch/Weight...Lighter/Spin?

Thanks so much again!

If i could id like to change the topic a bit...I am not so sure i will change anything but last night and this morning I have done TONS of research and have a few new questions...Also, would love for someone with knowledge to look at the launch monitor numbers i got yesterday.

So, researching Mizuno Optimizer...KBS shafts..and knowing what i have been told (from professionals) about my swing...C-Taper/C-taper lite seems to make sense..

IF i were to change:

My question: It seems C-Taper would give me characteristics i would want plus give me a lower ball flight (which i am slightly high) and the LITTLE bit of extra weight.....C-Taper Lite X-flex would again give me characteristics i would want plus higher ball flight but more spin (I'm a lower spin player)

Thanks so much again!

Imo it all comes into the equation. Finding the shaft that will give you the right launch with the right amount of spin to get and keep the ball in the air without ballooning and with a proper descent angle to hold greens. The c taper lite are going to be the high launch lower spin shaft and with amt bring more mid launch I can see why they would give you more distance.

The c taper are going to be the opposite with them being low launch and low spin. The c taper lite give you the c taper eith the added launch.

IF i were to change:

Thanks so much again!

2 things:
1) How are we supposed to look at your launch monitor data when you haven't posted it? You only posted the shaft optimizer data.
2) What takes preference? What I can hit more consistently. That's not the same for every person. If you are truly 91 mph with 6 iron and 108 mph with driver, then you are pretty much the same as me, but I know that I just can't play a shaft that is really stiff in the tip because it feels like garbage to me, and I play better with a slightly heavier swingweight so I can feel the head of the club a little better. I'm in a 120 gram shaft right now but played a 112 gram shaft before that for over 3 years without issue. You may be completely different from me.

DG 120:

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 2
KBS Tour S

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 1
C-Taper Lite X

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 1
So each these obviously had horrible shots that skewed averages...the computer took out the low anomalies and left this:
Driver=DG 120
Iron=KBS Tour
Puter=C-taper lite x

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 2
Lastly...i understand i keep talking c-taper vs c-taper lite but i didn't hit the C-Taper...the reason is now that i have this information i did LOTS of research and found that any of the possible issues i have with C-Taper Lite X could be helped with C-Taper...I.E. Launch and weight...while being somewhat similar in build and fit for my swing...that is why i use those

Lastly...i understand i keep talking c-taper vs c-taper lite but i didn't hit the C-Taper...the reason is now that i have this information i did LOTS of research and found that any of the possible issues i have with C-Taper Lite X could be helped with C-Taper...I.E. Launch and weight...while being somewhat similar in build and fit for my swing...that is why i use those

You are going to launch it lower AND spin it lower with C-Taper than C-Taper Lite if you go flex-to-flex. You hit a draw with everything, shaft isn't really going to fix that. Maybe a stiffer tip takes a slight bit of the draw sidespin off of it, but is that worth losing 5-10 yards of carry?

If there's a shaft that is giving me 2-3 mph more ball speed on average than anything else I try, I'm going with that shaft and not overthinking things.

You are going to launch it lower AND spin it lower with C-Taper than C-Taper Lite if you go flex-to-flex. You hit a draw with everything, shaft isn't really going to fix that. Maybe a stiffer tip takes a slight bit of the draw sidespin off of it, but is that worth losing 5-10 yards of carry?

If there's a shaft that is giving me 2-3 mph more ball speed on average than anything else I try, I'm going with that shaft and not overthinking things.

I understand what you're saying...but i would be going from C-Taper Lite X to C-Taper S....but your overall point is made

I obviously hit the C-Taper Lite better correct? I still probably need to go back and hit my current DG AMT...but it should be relatively similar to the DG 120

I understand what you're saying...but i would be going from C-Taper Lite X to C-Taper S....but your overall point is made

I obviously hit the C-Taper Lite better correct? I still probably need to go back and hit my current DG AMT...but it should be relatively similar to the DG 120

You hit the clubs, not me. But just look at the numbers. You carried the C-Taper Lite further than the other shafts because the ball speed was higher. Since the launch is pretty much the same between all of the shafts, higher ball speed will mean higher peak height and better stopping power on the other end. So IMO, you hit the C-Taper Lite better than the other shafts.

Yea I hear you..now i have to make the choice if its worth the extra $ lol pretty big investment

Just to add another layer...talked to KBS today and my pro/coach...both actually agreed...CTL X is probably too light for and my swing (and miss tendency)...C-Taper would be too low on spin...both recommended going with KBS Tour but in the S+ flew...added weight and a little stiffer but produces medium trajectory and enough spin

Back