How Long Since/To Your Personal Best?

Well I didn't pick up the game until adulthood, so I don't have many years to consider. I stated shooting 110+ 6 years ago and have consistently gotten better.

The end of last season was the best golf I've ever played. I had 5 of my last 8 rounds in the 70s, with what a I feel the best score I ever shot was a 76 on a very tight/tough course.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my game back to that form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best golf I've ever played was at the Grandaddy in December 2014.

It was so rewarding because going in I was terrified that I was going to play horribly, hurt the team, and be the butt of the ZooCrews jokes.
I went out and played well, felt the amazing support of the THP community, my teammates, and the ZooCrew.
The feeling of those rounds were amongst the most amazing I've ever felt.

I will get to that point again.

You played inspired. It was fun to witness even in spots.

I think my best golf was played in 2015 once I started playing more and practicing more in prep for the Gauntlet. I think leading up to that my putting really started to click and I was making a ton of putts. In my rounds from the gauntlet to the grandaddy I was averaging 29 putts per round. Hopefully this coming year I can commit to practicing a bit more and playing more so I can get to my desired handicsp

Last year was probably my best golf since I was in my 20s. I played and practiced more than I had in the last 10 years or so. I had several rounds under 80 and my ball striking was pretty solid.

My personal best is 74 which was when I was 21 and used to play/practice a ton. It was at a golf course called The Hawk and sadly it is now a subdivision.

My best golf has been this past year. Hdcp go single digits, shot my PB this year and several rounds under 80.

I'm 62 now but shot a 68 when I was 35 so it's been a long time!

Best complete round came 4 years ago. Shot a +1/+1 for a 74 on a pretty tough course.

Best handicap was at the end of last summer. All the months of practicing for the Legacy led to the best 3 month stretch of golf I've ever played. My index dropped to a 7.3 at its lowest, but now it's headed back toward double digits.

The best I ever played was last summer. There was a period were I could fall out of bed and shoot unspectacular / boring rounds in the low 80s on any course around here. The game was easy.

I would like to think that will happen again this summer when I have more time to practice and play regularly. But the truth is I am not sure if I get there again. TBD.

Last edited:
Thought it would be a fun and fruitful discussion to reminisce in the glory of the best of years past and/or put forth a goal to when you see yourself at your best at the game we love. Sometimes, you have to look where you came from in order to see where you are going.

When was the best golf you have ever played?

What constituted your best golf (handicap, PB round, consistency, or other)?

When do you anticipate [or hope] on getting back to that level and/or surpassing it?

The best golf I've ever played was in 2009, I had 4 rounds back to back at 68, 69, 68, and 68, I was dialed in completely. It was a year of many rounds below par and one I worked hard for.

I think it was the ball striking or consistency that made it the best year, I knew what each iron would do on a good, bad, or mediocre strike and I had a short game that was stellar. One thing for sure is that at that time every club in my bag had been there for quite some time and when I strayed from what I was used too, the game strayed as well.

I'm hoping that 2016 will be another 2009 but with a better putting game. I have the desire, I have the know how to get there because I've been there and I am driven to surpass the old.

Awesome thread! so much cool info in here.

It has been a year in a half ago. Shot a 76 with some THP'ers!

It's been almost 3 years since I shot my personal best. I was playing with Cookie, nightowl03, and my first round with Jman.
I believe I shot a 75 that day on a course that I had never seen before. That type of playing continued thru the rest of that summer.

My personal best was in March of last year. Despite that, I feel that I am currently playing my best golf ever.

Lately my scores have been very solid and I feel that my swing has made huge progress. I think I have just a few tweaks to start beating that PB from March.

My best golf was 25 years ago when I was in my mid 20's. I carried a + index for 6 or 7 years straight and I think it was a +3.4 at my best. I don't have any delusions of getting back to that index simply because my body can't take hitting 2000+ practice balls week after week nor do I have the desire to play or practice that much anymore. Back then I was also averaging 10 rounds per week which makes the short and mental game easy. I'm sure when I retire in a couple years and I'm playing a few days each week some of that short game magic will return and my index will drop a couple strokes. I am encouraged recently that 3 of my last 5 rounds have been par or better. I've been making some incremental progress with my full swing and putting the past 4 months and I'm hoping to be back down to a +1 or better by June.

Last edited:
When was the best golf you have ever played?
What constituted your best golf (handicap, PB round, consistency, or other)?
When do you anticipate [or hope] on getting back to that level and/or surpassing it?

I had two PBs (76 and a +1 72) in a five week stretch in July and August last summer, but the good golf lasted through the Gauntlet and into early October. Four of those nine rounds were single digit differentials and my index dropped into single digits for the first time and I was able to keep it there for two months.

I've been playing for almost 15 years, but 2015 was only my third year of learning and playing more so I know I can get back there and improve even more in the next few years.

2006.. It was my last semester of college. My parents didn't mind me playing and putting it on the credit card they gave me.. so I was practicing 4-5 times a week and playing 2-3 times. I was consistently in the mid 80's. Best was an 82. After I graduated I really didn't play much until 2015. I've probably averaged 8 rounds a year between 2007-2014.

I'm planning on beating that PB this year. Best round last year was an 84 in September.. so I'm not far off. My ball striking is actually much better (took a couple of lessons) so if I had the same short game I had then shooting in the 70's is very possible.

My best score ever (71) was July 2013 although on a pretty easy course.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Two and a half years, was a 72 from 6970. Was also the year I got down to my lowest HCP of a 4, so 29/30 years old.

I'll score better and get to a lower playing HCP in the next two years. Finally realizing the potential is there for me, but I have to commit more than to natural ability, and I will.

I have a few personal bests but on different courses. My lowest score is 73 but on a shorter course than I usually play.
I always try to shoot my personal best for that course I'm playing.

My PB was 74 on a course we play regularly. It was in 2012. Was nothing special. A bogey on each side and the rest pars. Hit almost every fairway and green. Why the hell haven't I done that again since :act-up:?

JM

Im 47 now and my personal best of 79 was when I was about 33. So its been some time, yeah I was playing real well for me around that time frame. I dont think im too far from that now but I need to dedicate myself more. Been a lil lazy about practice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My PB was a 73 in my 20's when I played a lot. Infrequent golf from then until 2 years ago (I'm 58 now) and my golf had declined a lot. Been working on my game over the last 2 years and had my best round of 75 November. While I haven't gotten to my PB, I played better, more consistent, golf from July to December of last year (when I first broke 80 since my 20's) than when I was in my 20's.

My first round of this year was ugly so I've got to get some work in to get back to when I stopped last year.

My PB is an 86 which I did in my 30s. Spent a long time away from the game but started back practicing 2.5 years ago and playing 1.5 years ago after hip surgery. I fully expect to better my PR this year, my putting is the last part of my game that I feel is really limiting. Golf instruction got me a proper swing, I have just recently started putting the ball back in my stance for my irons which has really cut back on my miss-hits. Just had my first ever putting lesson and he has gotten me on the path to better putting. My last few rounds have been in the 92 range and that is with losing 5-7 strokes/round from bad putting. I mean, I missed a 30" putt for birdie two weeks ago. I have been joking with my buddies that I love to hit my GIRs because I'm only a 3 putt away from a bogie. Not anymore, I am going to start sinking my putts now. :D

Best complete round came 4 years ago. Shot a +1/+1 for a 74 on a pretty tough course.

Best handicap was at the end of last summer. All the months of practicing for the Legacy led to the best 3 month stretch of golf I've ever played. My index dropped to a 7.3 at its lowest, but now it's headed back toward double digits.
Woohoo! I get to edit this post thanks to a 73 today. We played lift clean & place through the green, so it really doesn't count, but it sure felt good.

Age 51, this year was my personal best. Career low for 9 holes at -5 and career low for 18 -4. I was consistant in my scoring and only had a few blowup rounds. This spring I fully intend to improve on my putting and out of the tee box. Only two spots that can get me in trouble. Equipment tinkering aside my golf game is right where I want it.

My best game was this past August broke 80 twice in the month with a 78/76.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back