Took a month off.... And it helped

TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
I was going through a really rough patch and was becoming increasingly frustrated. I knew it was all in my head but I would get on the course and could not play. I took the last month off and focused on fitness which I have been doing for the last 6 months. I am leaving for Hawaii on Thursday and was seriously thinking of not even taking my clubs. My wife brought me to my senses so I went to play yesterday.

I went into the round to just play golf and have fun. I had the best ball striking day in quite a while and I actually had fun again. I ended up shooting a 85 with double on 17 and 18. The one on 17 irritated the crap out of me mainly because of the ridiculous pin placement. The green is a ling narrow uphill green except for the last 6-7 feet where it drops off about 30* downhill. The had the pin just on the downhill side of that ridge. I was on in 2 and 4 putted! This is a muni that I played since my club was having a corporate event yesterday.

It felt so good to just play and not be fighting 10 different swing thoughts. I made my tee time for Friday at Kona Country Club already.

I wish there was a way to keep that care free feeling when you don't have any expectations for yourself. You have to love golf even when you are not playing well.

Something to be said about taking a break. This goes for everything in life, not just golf. FWIW, when I start really losing my way, I take time off as well and focus on fitness. Seems to re-invigorate the body and keep the upper sync'd with the lower...at least for me anyway

Breaks always help me. I haven't played in over two months. Wasn't by choice - weather and 8 month old made it impossible - along with some home improvement projects we had going on. But I feel more eager than ever to head south sometime this winter and play a round. And I can't wait to get to the heated bays at the driving range.

It's always nice to step away and come back.

Sounds like the break was necessary and helpful. Sometimes it is good to just to step away and clear your mind and give your body a break.
Glad it worked for you, have great trip.

I'm a big proponent of taking a break during a rough stretch. It usually helps my game reset a bit plus it clears my head and I'm not so frustrated. I'm happy to see it helped you!

I am the same way a lot of times, take a few weeks, month away from the game and things are better for some reason. Forget bad habits and stuff. I feel you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good for you man and happy to hear this worked for you. After I puked up a 98 on the 4th of July with a sh!t ton of shanks I took a month off. No range, no playing, no golf besides watching it on TV. I focused on other activities and more importantly my attitude on the course.

When I came back I worked on staying positive and most of all stopped recording FIR, GIR, and Putts. I was so fixated on that throughout the year that it made it more about stats than playing golf. I hate stats even though I recorded them every single round. It isn't fun writing down 3-5 GIR per round. Just hit the ball and save a score.

I've had 3 "tune-up" lessons about every other month since then and it's just a few focal points on the swing, 2 key swing thoughts, nothing else. Last two rounds have been 92 and 83. I don't care one way or the other.

I find taking time helps to be more care free. I only play once every 2 or 3 weeks so I have no expectations and end up playing better.
Just gotta go out there and enjoy the day

Back