What do you need from your captain?

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
The Morgan Cup captain sign up is live and right now there are people clambering for something that'll catch the judges attention in 50 words or less....definitely a tough task. We've discussed at great length what people think they bring to the table in terms of being a successfully captain of a THP team event. I've been captain of a Morgan Cup team a couple of times, once successfully winning the cup and one failing in epic fashion. So this got me thinking and my question for you guys is what do you need from your captain in an event like the Morgan Cup or even The Grandaddy? This question will be answered from so many different perspectives and I hope to get many of them. If you're a first ever attendee or you've been to several what is it that you need from your captain?

I like a good game plan.
Someone that can pick me up when I am down (rarely) and let it ride when things are going well.
I have always liked the captain that likes input and shares it frequently.

I agree, JB and I second those as well. Beyond that I would personally need a captain who will put me in the best position to bring in points for my team, know my game and pair me up accordingly. I'd want a captain who is there to win, but who doesn't take the matches (or themselves) too serious.

I think the big thing is communication. Share what your thinking most of the time (if you know someone is struggling stay quiet unless your offering encouragement) and listen to what the team has to say. Be able to explain why you made the decision you made. It's a fine line sometimes because the number 1 thing to remember is to have fun, but winning is a close 2nd as everyone likes to win too.

I like someone who can crunch the numbers first and foremost. Look at hard and soft handicaps, paired with strengths and weaknesses to try to assemble partners for each and every round. The captain also needs to take into account personality as best as they can. That's not easy when you really only know a small few of the group outside of an online forum.

Follow that up with a strategic approach to the course and I think that makes for an excellent leader.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Biggest thing imo is to be genuinely interested in me, in addition to the quality (or lack thereof) of my game. How can the captain integrate me with the rest of the group despite any peculiarities each of us presents. How to build the bond within teammates.

The closer we all are, the easier it will be to have multiple pairing opportunities that can feed off each other.

During the actual event, a steady, experienced hand would be welcomed. There will be ups and down in every competition. I think there are multiple THPers that fulfill my wish list - some I've met in competition, some in an unofficial event setting, and others during the UTT wedge event. This place is full of great leaders.

I would second communication as key. First, really listen, then communicate in a positive manner your decision and how it best suits both the individual as well as the team to perform their best. Then channel Ben Crenshaw's "I have a feeling".

Solid Game Plan

Confidence

Communication

Inclusion

Open to discussion and feedback

A leader

My recipe for my captain.

1 cup of Leadership
1 cup of Humor
1 cup of Intelligence
1/2 cup of Listener
1/2 cup of Communicator
1/2 cup of Cheerleader
1/2 cup of Bravado
1/4 cup of Smart Aleck
2 dashes of your favorite Hot Sauce

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and let rest overnight for all the flavors to develop and mature.
Pour into a right sized mold and serve when firm.

I would say that having a plan is a key attribute to being a good Captain.
Having the interpersonal skills to take a group of people that you may have never met before, and know when to talk and know when to listen is also an important skill to have.
Being Open, Honest, and Transparent in communication, while trusting your plan to put your team in the best position to be successful is key.

What do you need from your captain?

Solid game plan, handles pressure well, easy to talk to /get along with. Communication is key from the get go. Knowing each players weakness and strength and providing guidance .Good head on their shoulders and isn’t afraid to go a different route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone who is genuine, competitive while not being an a$$hole (rule no.1), approachable, honest, and upbeat especially when the pressure is on.

I don’t know if there is a right or wrong answer here. Everyone needs something different from a captain. What works for one guy may not work for another so I think you need someone who can work well with many different styles or personalities.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know if I need much from a captain. I have had several and each one has been different.

Biggsy, 1st Morgan Cup: Was a huge motivator and made sure the team was close and would go to battle for each other.

GreggDrews, Cure Event: Greg used me as a sounding board at times, esp when it came to pairings. He just kind of looked for some input and let me do my thing.

Hawk 4th Morgan Cup: I was Hawk's asscap and we talked quite a bit about things, including taking "ownership" of different players on the team. In the end, we lost, but it wasn't because of how Hawk treated me or the team.

Jman 2015 Grandaddy: James did some things different as there was practically no behind the scenes action. Some like it, some didn't it. But one thing I loved about the relationship James and I had with that team was I pretty much told him not to worry about me, I'll be ready.

So maybe it's me and my personality, but I don't need a captain to be much more than just a teammate. Game plans are good, but they can take a bad turn quickly. I guess I just like a captain that knows I'll be ready haha

Communication is key. Ability to listen to ideas. Ability to make decisions and stand by them. The NEED to have fun and WANT to win. A constant source of encouragement when things get tough and someone who keeps their heads up and digs deep to keep everything on track. They need to know when to press the pedal to the metal or slam on the brakes. Most importantly, a want to know and embrace every member of their team and their abilities or lack there of.

All i need is Doug as my captain a Corey as assistant captain

Simple. Just don’t be a dick.

I've worked through some great leaders in work life and some not so, coached or assisted on high- level hockey teams and I've always incorporated the memorable and successful traits I have experienced, into my daily life. I want a leader who is genuinely interested in me, my opinion, who can encourage at the right time and have the ability to rally the team despite the odds.

As many said, I have no time for d*ck-heads, show-offs or power trippers. Life is too short and I want to have fun, develop relationships and have everyone experience the thrill of the competition. Knowing we all had the same game plan and believed in each other in an open environment is something I treasure.

I think for me it boils down to a few things.
- I want to know my Captain gives a crap
- I want my Captain to be inclusive. Not a democracy, but be open to input.
- I want my Captain to be FUN

Some great posts in this thread, all things I hope we get out of the guy/gal selected to lead Team Hackers in the 2019 Morgan Cup!

I like the soundboard idea, it makes each teammate feel like their opinion is listened to and worth something.

I think for me it boils down to a few things.
- I want to know my Captain gives a crap
- I want my Captain to be inclusive. Not a democracy, but be open to input.
- I want my Captain to be FUN

Man, really throwing Frank under the bus huh? :alien::alien2::angel:

I think a good leader, first and foremost, looks out for his people. He has to be a good communicator, not just able to clearly set goals and a vision but a good communicator in terms of listening, listening not just to respond but to understand. A good leader will instill in his people self confidence in their abilities and provides the tools needed to be successful. Often in the background and unseen, a good leader is at least minimizing obstacles if not eliminating them altogether. As Lao Tzu the Chinese philosopher said, "A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."

Applying that to leading a golf team it is listening to each individual and understanding what their concerns or even fears might be, what they are nervous about. Listening to a self assessment of strengths and weaknesses while making a judgment about personalities and how they will mesh. Then massaging all the input to put a game plan together in terms of pairings and even order of play and clearly explaining the reasoning behind the plan so the team is confident going into play with a clear vision for success . It is managing all the behind the scenes logistics, clearly explaining where people need to be, what they need to be doing and when so that anything that might create anxiety or take away focus is eliminated. Lastly, during play, having assessed each individual and what his/her needs might be, provide the encouragement, the cheerleading or kick in the butt that each needs to be personally successful.

Back