Callaway XR OS Irons Preview

Hit these today on my lunch break. The sound and feel are so much better than I thought they would be. The ball just gets up there and goes.

They're huge, though, at least in my eyes. I hit them next to the Cobra Max and the D200s, and they were big by comparison. But after a few hits, I didn't care because they were automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The D200's are massive IMO, if you are saying that these are bigger than these would be a no-go for me.

The D200's are massive IMO, if you are saying that these are bigger than these would be a no-go for me.

Best I can say is to check them out in hand. To my eye, they looked larger than the D200, which I personally don't find massive like the GMax. But to each their own, for sure.

These clubs don't look large for super game improvement irons. Much smaller than the Big Berthas

All I can say is wow! These don't look like an sgi iron. Wasn't going to change my irons this year but these might change my mind !

Is there no love for these irons...haven't seen many comments

They were suppose to hit the stores on 1-22-16

I hit the 7 iron at golfsmith yesterday. Just like my current XR's. Very friendly and easy to hit.

I hit these in my fitting yesterday. Didn't feel the love. They are pretty easy to hit however. They looked a little too awkward for my eye at address. Just wasn't "feeling it".

What did you end up getting?

I hit these in my fitting yesterday. Didn't feel the love. They are pretty easy to hit however. They looked a little too awkward for my eye at address. Just wasn't "feeling it".

What did you end up getting?

Mizuno JPX 850

Not the newest release, but was the best option for me

I'm not overly concerned about looks when it comes to performance. Yes the Big Bertha irons are on the chunky side, but these are not. I believe that I could chip fairly well with the wedges.
I'll find out if they ever get here from Callaway. They don't really look that different from any other game improvement iron to me, but they clearly offer super game improvement performance.

My XR OS irons arrived today.

4a70057cef6b31377c59e0fcab5e300f.jpg

77ecf09e42fbbaf1295e3241cb03138a.jpg

I previously gamed the Big Bertha's and these are no way as chunky as they were. The photo's came out upside down when I posted, sorry.

Last edited:

I previously gamed the Big Bertha's and these are no way as chunky as they were.

Mine arrived today also. The Big Berthas are my back up set. These are just much smaller. The store manager had to give me a refund because I ordered the hybrids separately. Combo set pricing is much less. While I waited for him, I hit the irons again. First off, I never hit a 5 iron, but the XR OS 5 iron was stupid easy to hit. Very consistent but I'm still going with the hybrid.

I previously gamed the Big Bertha's and these are no way as chunky as they were.

Nice dude! Thanks for the hands on pics.

Mine arrived today also. The Big Berthas are my back up set. These are just much smaller. The store manager had to give me a refund because I ordered the hybrids separately. Combo set pricing is much less. While I waited for him, I hit the irons again. First off, I never hit a 5 iron, but the XR OS 5 iron was stupid easy to hit. Very consistent but I'm still going with the hybrid.

when did you guys order? I'm still waiting on mine

when did you guys order? I'm still waiting on mine

Ordered mine on the 18th and they arrived on the 25th. Mine were custom order with upgraded shafts and grips.

I play Apex and just got a set of CG Black CBs both with Recoils F3s. Both sets hit rockets especially the Cg Black CBs. Hit the OS a few times in stock steel and yes it indeed launches the ball. As one would imagine the topline is very large a la Big Bertha and offset similar. Actually sole is not as wide as one might think.

They kinda look just like last years xr's to me.

Ordered mine on the 18th and they arrived on the 25th. Mine were custom order with upgraded shafts and grips.
Wow. Same day I ordered mine. I went with the TT XP 95 shafts and custom grips also. Hopefully they will arrive today. What shaft did you get on yours?

Wow. Same day I ordered mine. I went with the TT XP 95 shafts and custom grips also. Hopefully they will arrive today. What shaft did you get on yours?

UST Recoil 660 F3 Graphite with Lamkin UTX blue/gray/red grips

They look good. Wondering how much of an improvement to the XR golfers are seeing?

They look good. Wondering how much of an improvement to the XR golfers are seeing?

Me too. I own the standard XRs and love them, but I wonder if the performance changes on the OS are substantial.

Back