Alez367 I'm Calling You Out! #THPCallOut

Taos

Reaction score
Handicap
It's time to set the stage for a truly special #THPCallOut.

The Battlefield...

On February 2nd, as the early morning sun starts burning off the fog covering the epic La Jolla, CA coastline, Alez367 and I will be teeing it up on the legendary Torrey Pines South Course.

What makes this day so special? It's the first day that Torrey Pines South will be back opened up to the public following the Farmers Insurance Open, and you guessed it, still in PGA Tour tournament conditions.

A Little Background...

So, Alez367 and I have been playing golf together for 6-7 years now. And a good number of our outings have been at Torrey, both South and North, so I don't think anyone has a home court advantage here. However, Mr. Golf-a-holic over here plays at least 5 times a month. Myself? While I once had a pretty low single digit handicap, finishing college, starting a career, marriage, and family has left me with a pretty limited schedule. These days I'm lucky to get out once every six weeks or so, and this will be my first round since early last November.

Time for the knitty gritty...

Alez367 plays to 5.5, and while I don't have an official index at the moment, I've been in the mid-upper 80's my last few rounds. I'll let Alez make his case but I submit that I should get 4 strokes per side.

The Agreed Upon Format...

We will be playing match play with Alez367 giving me a stroke on the 3 hardest holes per side. According to the score card this ends up being holes 1, 4, and 7 on the front and 12, 13, and 17 on the back. This is a public shotgun start and we don't have our hole assignment yet, so these stroke holes may or may not become pivotal moments in our match!

Whats In The Bag...

Alez367
GBB 10.5°
XR 3w
SLDR 5w
Apex Hybrid 23°
Apex Pro '16 5i-PW
MD2 50°
MD3 54° & 60°
Odyssey Prototype

Taos
Big Bertha Alpha 815
Big Bertha Alpha 815 3w
Apex Hybrid 20°
Apex Pro '16 4i-9i
MD3 46°, 50°, & 54°
PM-Grind 60°
Odyssey MXM #1

Last edited:
FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!!!!

I've met Alez367 before which may give him my lean but need to hear more about you Mr. Taos. I'm torn here.

Sub'd for the epic SoCal show down! I'll put my money on Taos!

Wow just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great location for this battle!

A tough call, I'll say Alez takes it though.

Torrey South after the PGA...NICE! I don't have a side here that I know, so I'm going to go with the underdog and Taos on this one. Mostly because his life somewhat mirrors mine based on what I'm reading.

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!!!!

I've met Alez367 before which may give him my lean but need to hear more about you Mr. Taos. I'm torn here.

Haha, hopefully it doesn't come to blows. I should clarify though. While at one point I've had a low handicap, it's been a good 5 years since I've been able to consistently break 80. I brought that up for transparency, but let's just say there's plenty of rust keeping me from my past form at the moment.

Im in. I'll give you 4 a side

Haha, hopefully it doesn't come to blows. I should clarify though. While at one point I've had a low handicap, it's been a good 5 years since I've been able to consistently break 80. I brought that up for transparency, but let's just say there's plenty of rust keeping me from my past form at the moment.

This should be a fun one to follow. I'm a big Alez367 fan. But giving 8 strokes to a former low single digit, is a lot to overcome. I'll wait until the final word on the strokes is determined. But it'll be hard if not damn near impossible to go against the best damn tour guide I ever had for San Diego in Alex.

I'm going Taos and the strokes.

Alez367 I'm Calling You Out! #THPCallOut

Wow, seems to be lots of love for Alez367 around here. Haha. Can't say it's unwarranted. He's a great friend and we are definitely each other's enablers when it comes to club ho'ing. He's also the one that introduced me to THP, so there's that... But let's be real here. This guy has multiple even par rounds as well as at least one under par round in the last 4 months. All while I've maybe played twice in the same span without going lower than 85.

Wow, seems to be lots of love for Alez367 around here. Haha. Can't say it's unwarranted. He's a great friend and we are definitely each other's enablers when it comes to club ho'ing. He's also the one that introduced me to THP, so there's that... But let's be real here. This guy has multiple even par rounds as well as at least one under par round in the last 4 months. All while I've maybe played twice in the same span without going lower than 85.

Well win or not, you do seem to be the leader in the clubhouse for the #LouHoltzWoeIsMe Award :D

Text are being exchanged while we work the format and strokes but I'm in for this call out. Yes, i will admit it's been a bit since Taos has played but don't let him fool you, he's got game and still knows his way around a golf course pretty darn well. Distance wise, he has me by about 1-2 clubs irons wise and off the tee by about 20-30 yards. Think his length will play a factor in this call out but I'm still going to give it my all and bring home the W.

Hmm, I think my early lean is for Taos. After all a guy with "innovate or die" and crossed #7s as his avatar means business.:D

Hows the rough out there this time of the year?? I've seen it brutal and I've seen it not so brutal.

Well win or not, you do seem to be the leader in the clubhouse for the #LouHoltzWoeIsMe Award :D

Haha, just trying to give the whole picture. If my fellow THP'ers think I'm full of it then I can respect that! And don't get me wrong, I'm going to be doing everything I can in the meantime to make sure Alez367 goes home with a frown on his face, strokes or no strokes.

Hows the rough out there this time of the year?? I've seen it brutal and I've seen it not so brutal.

Have to think it'll be pretty bad following the Farmers.

This was the south 10 days ago

8c20f3817dff1cb16c5fa7f603a6de78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had some good dealings with alez, I'm going to have to give him my vote.

Alright, so we hashed out the details via text, but here's the format. I'll add it to the OP as well, but we'll be doing match play with Alez367 giving me 3 strokes per side. That's holes 1, 4, and 7 on the front and 12, 13, and 17 on the back. With this being a shotgun start and not knowing our starting hole at the moment it will be interesting to see how those stroke holes come into play.

Alright, so we hashed out the details via text, but here's the format. I'll add it to the OP as well, but we'll be doing match play with Alez367 giving me 3 strokes per side. That's holes 1, 4, and 7 on the front and 12, 13, and 17 on the back. With this being a shotgun start and not knowing our starting hole at the moment it will be interesting to see how those stroke holes come into play.
Sounds fair.

I'll take Alez minus the strokes!!

I'm going with Alez because I always see Taos and get hungry for tacos. That's troublesome.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of tacos when I first read this thread :wink:

Uhm... While 6 strokes is huge, I'm gonna have to go Alez. I'm thinking the extra length for tacos might get him in trouble on Torrey's tourney ready roughs.

Going with my buddy Alez367 in this one. Should be a fun follow.

Back