Do Wedge Shafts Really Matter?

honestly never tried any other shaft in my wedges, everyone I have ever bought have had the dg wedge flex. seem to do good for me.

What in the world happened to Hawk??? Have not seen him around here in a long long time. Hopefully no health issues, sent a Happy Holidays PM to him, no response. He was so active here .

What in the world happened to Hawk??? Have not seen him around here in a long long time. Hopefully no health issues, sent a Happy Holidays PM to him, no response. He was so active here .

He is still part of the THP family, but is tending to family and his children. Just spoke to him and he is doing great.

In two words, hell no. If someone that doesn't carry a + index is really tweaking their wedge shafts and think they should be different than their iron shafts IMO they are wasting time and overthinking! Go hit 2000 wedge shots a week and then we can talk.

I didn't give any thought to irons shafts when I played my first set of irons from 1980 to 1999 and I hit many more wedge shots inside of 2 feet than have since now that my lofts, lies, and shafts have all been properly fit and tweaked for my swing. Having the time to practice with my wedges 5+ days a week during that period might have had something to do with my success.

In two words, hell no. If someone that doesn't carry a + index is really tweaking their wedge shafts and think they should be different than their iron shafts IMO they are wasting time and overthinking! Go hit 2000 wedge shots a week and then we can talk.

I didn't give any thought to irons shafts when I played my first set of irons from 1980 to 1999 and I hit many more wedge shots inside of 2 feet than have since now that my lofts, lies, and shafts have all been properly fit and tweaked for my swing. Having the time to practice with my wedges 5+ days a week during that period might have had something to do with my success.
you are obviously too good to be on this site, thanks for your extraordinary insight, it is an honor to hear your wisdom, you are the best player in the world, I can tell.

you are obviously too good to be on this site, thanks for your extraordinary insight, it is an honor to hear your wisdom, you are the best player in the world, I can tell.

Pretty snarky for only your 15th post here, you might want to rethink how you address others on this forum.

Okay guys, lets remember that this is THP and treat others well and keep it to golf talk.
Thanks everybody.

Do Wedge Shafts Really Matter?

I have a recent desire to put some KBS Tour custom white pearl shafts in my wedges just because. I already have them in there but I want the pearl white cause it would look cool.......least in my mind.

I think I agree with you, but it raises an interesting question. Why is it any less important to have a properly fit wedge shaft than it is to have a properly fit shaft in any other club? This is an honest question. Maybe it's because we aren't stressing wedge shafts quite as much as other shafts? Maybe it's because wedge shots around greens aren't as subject to the vagaries of our snowflake swings quite like longer clubs (aoa, SS, spin, transition). I'm really just thinking out loud as I don't know what the answer is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I agree with you, but it raises an interesting question. Why is it any less important to have a properly fit wedge shaft than it is to have a properly fit shaft in any other club? This is an honest question. Maybe it's because we aren't stressing wedge shafts quite as much as other shafts? Maybe it's because wedge shots around greens aren't as subject to the vagaries of our snowflake swings quite like longer clubs (aoa, SS, spin, transition). I'm really just thinking out loud as I don't know what the answer is.

Im not sure but my guess is their are dozens of types of wedge shots that are partial shots where the ball and technique are the main factors that determine how well the shot turns out. The quality of my wedge game, especially bunker and other greenside shots are heavily dependent on how much I can practice not the shaft or even the wedge I'm using.

Length is part of the reason. While I am not saying that people should not care about wedge shafts, shorter length plays a role here.

It's interesting. If someone loves to tinker, loves trying new things, and plays to a 15 cap, are they wasting their time rotating shafts? I suppose that's up to them to decide.

Does it make a wild difference? I'd argue no, but it does make a difference... Weight, spin rates, kickpoint... They are all going to factor and there's a right or wrong design for everyone, even the more casual "hacker"

Maybe for a feel player they might matter more. I know I hit some mizuno wedges the year before last and they had spinner shafts in them. Probably the best feeling wedges I had hit in a long time. But, I'm not sure if that's the shaft of the heads that had the magic for me. I know currently, I have S400 in the Nike wedges and I just don't like the feel of them so I'll be on the lookout for new wedges.

I think a part of it depends also on how you use your wedges. For me, I realized the amazement that are the Apex set wedges. So I have both the AW (50*) and SW (55*) in the bag. I take full swings with them and love the consistency and forgiveness. The shafts are the "standard" xp95 stiff, same shafts as the rest of the irons for most Apex sets (although the rest of my irons are KBS, but that's only because I had to find the AW/SW individually & separate).

I never full swing my 60* vokey. At most, a 1/2 swing, and I'm not loading the shaft (or trying not to). So flex for me there might be less important? I would say length is of course important, but other than that, I can say I'd probably NEVER notice the difference if I swapped my standard Vokey shaft out for something else.

I have a recent desire to put some KBS Tour custom white pearl shafts in my wedges just because. I already have them in there but I want the pearl white cause it would look cool.......least in my mind.

uh, yes. They look ridiculously good. MD441 has them and they are fantastic.

It's interesting. If someone loves to tinker, loves trying new things, and plays to a 15 cap, are they wasting their time rotating shafts? I suppose that's up to them to decide.

Does it make a wild difference? I'd argue no, but it does make a difference... Weight, spin rates, kickpoint... They are all going to factor and there's a right or wrong design for everyone, even the more casual "hacker"

Wasting time might be too strong but I would say a 15 capper would be better off focusing his money and energies elsewhere. I've always played the same weight/flex/kickpoint in my wedges that I do in my irons but if I swapped out my wedges tomorrow for one of my old sets of wedges that have DG S300's or X100's rather than the KBS shafts I'm playing now, I doubt I could tell the difference other than a slight change in feel. Certainly I wouldn't score any better or worse with different shafts in my wedges. I guess what I'm saying is lie and bounce are super important to me with my wedges, so much so that I have them checked a couple times each year, but the shaft is not. There are many driver and fairway wood head/shaft combinations that I hate and don't work for me but just about any wedge shaft will do.

Wasting time might be too strong but I would say a 15 capper would be better off focusing his money and energies elsewhere. I've always played the same weight/flex/kickpoint in my wedges that I do in my irons but if I swapped out my wedges tomorrow for one of my old sets of wedges that have DG S300's or X100's rather than the KBS shafts I'm playing now, I doubt I could tell the difference other than a slight change in feel. Certainly I wouldn't score any better or worse with different shafts in my wedges. I guess what I'm saying is lie and bounce are super important to me with my wedges, so much so that I have them checked a couple times each year, but the shaft is not. There are many driver and fairway wood head/shaft combinations that I hate and don't work for me but just about any wedge shaft will do.

That is to assume that the 15 handicap doesn't get more joy out of club/shaft experimentation than he does trying to improve at the game of golf.

I'll agree that the changes aren't usually enormous, but they can be in some situations, especially if golfers are using some of their wedges exclusively for full shots.

If you use your wedges for full swing I'd say the shaft becomes more important. If you are just using them for partial shots then I'm sure it doesn't matter. I've tried Dynamic Gold and KBS "wedge" flex shafts as stock options in previous wedges and did not like them for full swings. Since then I've used the same shafts in my wedges that are in my irons and have seen improvement on full swing results.

I briefly used DG Spinner shafts and hated them on full swings, but they allowed me to spin balls back 4+ feet on partial shots which was cool. But overall, spinning the shots back wasn't as practical to me as consistency on full swings.

Pretty snarky for only your 15th post here, you might want to rethink how you address others on this forum.

people are looking for opinions, not how great you think you are, I completely disagree with you by the way, in terms of flighting the ball, and putting spin on the ball, the shaft is almost everything, I left reg or wedge flex shafts in and I couldn't do anything with the wedges, put in stiff flex and had way more control.

A lot of guys got to spend 1 on 1 time with Roger Cleveland himself recently, perhaps they could share some info about wedge shafts. I think they are wayyyy less of a factor than some think.

people are looking for opinions, not how great you think you are, I completely disagree with you by the way, in terms of flighting the ball, and putting spin on the ball, the shaft is almost everything, I left reg or wedge flex shafts in and I couldn't do anything with the wedges, put in stiff flex and had way more control.

let's not completely derail the thread, but i really enjoy tahoebum's insight here on the forum. i just think you're reading something into his post that wasn't intended.

i think it's awesome that you were able t find a shaft pairing that worked for you. i've tried a couple different shafts in wedges, and the only time i see much difference is on full swings. shots around the greens were usually the same. but i'm a pretty poor wedge player, so i'm probably not the best person to comment on this!

Would love to see what a Mr. Roger Cleveland or Mr. Pelz thought about this question.

I bet the weight of the shaft itself has far more of a difference than the "profile" or stiffness of the shaft in this case.

Before I didn't really think "wedge" shafts mattered since I just used what shaft was in my irons but a buddy got me thinking about how I play my wedges differently from my irons. My wedges are mostly used for touch/feel shots and while a full shot is used sometimes, quite often I was using 3/4 and partial shots and need the shaft to react as such.

It's interesting when you look at pro's bags too because there is no hard fast rule for them either. Some use shafts that match the shafts in their irons, while others do something different (though usually heavier if different) - like say X100 in irons and S400 in wedges.

Back