Trying To Break 90 Club

Well done Jesse!

Nice round Jesse you got the game to be in the 80's easily. Just gotta put it together which I know you will.

I didn't get out until 9am and it was already up there then. I actually saw my ball rocking on the green as I was getting ready to putt one time today.

I got out at about 7am and just barely finished ahead of it. It was gusting 25-30 near the end but thankfully the long par 5 17th was straight downwind.

First round of the year was Saturday AM; had the course to myself mostly and played at nice brisk pace to stay warm. Went 44/44 for an 88 to open the year. Drove it okay, iron play was surprisingly good and I putted great (31 putts). Yesterday I had a match at a course new to me, lost 2&1 to MBurnham but played okay. Short game was really solid outside of maybe one or two bad chips/pitches. Putted well again (32 putts). Went 53/46 for a 99. Back to back snowmen on the 8&9 cost me the match as I was never able to get back in the lead (went from 1 up to 1 down and never did better than AS through 11. Iron play was off, driving was poor and my fairway woods were non-existent.

Good news was I saw some video of my swing and have plenty to work on. Too long at the top, and need to stand taller at address. Both are simple fixes.

Shot 93 last weekend after I scored 88 the week before. Made a quadruple bogey on the 1st hole and a triple bogey on the 10th but kept my composure and had 8 par on the score card. If I can avoid these blow outs I'm confident I can consistently score in the 80s.

Went out on Sunday. Wow. Was terrible. 107. Had 3 GIR, 2 pars, 2 bogies, and the rest trash. I could not do anything right. Heading back to range and short game today.

Went out on Sunday. Wow. Was terrible. 107. Had 3 GIR, 2 pars, 2 bogies, and the rest trash. I could not do anything right. Heading back to range and short game today.

I had one of those rounds last week where absolutely nothing worked. Hang in there; it'll come back.

Walked 9 today in 40 degree temps. Shot 45 with FOUR THREE PUTTS arrrgggghh. One penalty too. But I'm encouraged to be hovering around 90 already this early in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not to sure whats been going on with my game for the last few weeks. On the range I am hitting my irons better than ever and this has even been seen to carry on to the course although not consistently. I have been putting in more time on my short game which is carrying over quite well. We are currently in the midst of high season and our home course seems to of had half of South Korea residing there, which leads to a very busy slow course where it has not been uncommon to have two groups waiting on the tee, a group on the fairway and a group slowly walking onto the greens. This really screws me up as I lose tempo and concentration which leads to all sorts of nasty things going on.

We managed to get a 7:08 tee off this morning to beat the rush, only to find out they had all departed for home and the course was empty woohooooooo!!!!! I moved up a set of tees so the course was playing at 6100 to see how much difference that would make from the usual 6575. In the past its been pretty much the same scoring from either set. First drive whizzed out right into water, took a drop and shanked my 7 iron into the same water, walked off with a 8!!!

I then proceeded to bogie the next 9 holes, followed by 2 pars, bogie, double, bogie, par, bogie, bogie. I hit 4 out of 13 fairways where I used my driver. That is the worst driving I have had in a long time. Moving up a set of tees brings a lot more hazards into play than playing further back, but the flip side to that is I was a 8 iron or less for my second shot. I have mysteriously developed a case of the hooks or over draws with my irons, which is a shock considering i was fading and missing right in the past. Fortunately the short game practice is paying off. 34 putts and only one greenside bunker needed two shots to get out, with the second landing just short of the pin for a tap in bogie. The downside is my handicap has now gone up to 19 since I have been home. On a positive finish if I can reduce the hooks on my approach shots I now have the distance to hit greens with my irons.

Hang in there garethw; it happens. Keep grinding and your game will come back.

...leads to a very busy slow course where it has not been uncommon to have two groups waiting on the tee, a group on the fairway and a group slowly walking onto the greens. This really screws me up as I lose tempo and concentration which leads to all sorts of nasty things going on...

I have mysteriously developed a case of the hooks or over draws with my irons, which is a shock considering i was fading and missing right in the past...

Having to wait always screws up my round. Sounds like your tempo is a little quick and handsy with the irons. This has been my issues lately as well.

Having to wait always screws up my round. Sounds like your tempo is a little quick and handsy with the irons. This has been my issues lately as well.

What was the cause and how did you fix it? I think part of my problem is grip related.

What was the cause and how did you fix it? I think part of my problem is grip related.

Everyone's different, of course, but when I start pulling or hooking it helps me to practice my short game for awhile. I take my PW to the range, start with 20% swings and work my way up to full swings focusing on making sure I extend fully on the follow thru.

I usually end up overcompensating at first and hitting fades until I find the happy medium.

I did weaken my grip some which helped but I think tempo was the biggest issue. I was getting quick, snatching it from the top, which made me come OTT with the closed clubface. I've tried lots of drills and I'm still struggling with it at times.

Cheers guys. I'll have a play on the range over the next few days.

I did weaken my grip some which helped but I think tempo was the biggest issue. I was getting quick, snatching it from the top, which made me come OTT with the closed clubface. I've tried lots of drills and I'm still struggling with it at times.

Yep; same here - I think (for me anyway) slowing down and hitting some shorter shots helps me get the tempo back in line and stop coming over the top.

Yep; same here - I think (for me anyway) slowing down and hitting some shorter shots helps me get the tempo back in line and stop coming over the top.

That's a good way to do it. One thing that helped was trying to stay connected, using the upper body turn for the swing with less arms. I lost some distance but was more consistent. Problem was I would start getting handsy and not realize it and if my timing was off I was screwed. That's why the tempo is so important.

I have to remember while I'm at it that I tend to over-correct. It can be maddening at first to grab a bucket of balls with the expressed intent of fixing the pull/draw only to end up hitting big fades 10 minutes later.

Just recently I've started to counter the frustration by considering it progress when I hit a fade - that means I corrected the issue I set out to correct, now I just need to balance things out.

I have to remember while I'm at it that I tend to over-correct. It can be maddening at first to grab a bucket of balls with the expressed intent of fixing the pull/draw only to end up hitting big fades 10 minutes later.

Just recently I've started to counter the frustration by considering it progress when I hit a fade - that means I corrected the issue I set out to correct, now I just need to balance things out.

That and paralysis by over-analysis, lol

That and paralysis by over-analysis, lol

I'm fantastic at over-analysis, haha.

It's funny but I learned a ton about myself during (of all things) a bag toss - called "cornhole" in some parts of the world - tournament at work a few summers back. The goal is to toss a beanbag about 25 feet and get it to land on a wooden board for 1 point OR thru the hole in the board for 3 points.

I'd stand there, stare at the target, think it over, take my shot and more often than not screw it up.

One week during the tourney I committed to waiting until the last possible moment to look at my target, then pull the trigger and let it fly with no further analysis.

I make WAY better shots when I do it that way. If I stand there motionless looking at the target and thinking things over I'll miss every time.

Choose target, pull trigger - that's how my brain works. I started applying that to putting recently and saw an immediate improvement. No practice swings, no long deliberation, just pick a line and speed and go. I'm just now starting to apply that same thinking to my full swing more consistently and am seeing all kinds of benefit.

I don't think that's the right approach for everyone. That's just how my brain works.

Consider me a member of this club. I love reading through this because it is exactly the type of player that I am. That lack of consistency can be oh so frustrating but keeps me motivated to put in that extra work to get consistently in the mid to upper 80's (which is my goal for this year). I will certainly be back here with updates on progress...and setbacks as well ;)

I'm fantastic at over-analysis, haha.

It's funny but I learned a ton about myself during (of all things) a bag toss - called "cornhole" in some parts of the world - tournament at work a few summers back. The goal is to toss a beanbag about 25 feet and get it to land on a wooden board for 1 point OR thru the hole in the board for 3 points.

I'd stand there, stare at the target, think it over, take my shot and more often than not screw it up.

One week during the tourney I committed to waiting until the last possible moment to look at my target, then pull the trigger and let it fly with no further analysis.

I make WAY better shots when I do it that way. If I stand there motionless looking at the target and thinking things over I'll miss every time.

Choose target, pull trigger - that's how my brain works. I started applying that to putting recently and saw an immediate improvement. No practice swings, no long deliberation, just pick a line and speed and go. I'm just now starting to apply that same thinking to my full swing more consistently and am seeing all kinds of benefit.

I don't think that's the right approach for everyone. That's just how my brain works.

That's why I think of that line from Bull Durham: "Don't think! It will only hurt the team." But that's what makes golf so challenging. It's a lot easier to play "golf swing" on the range, but on the course you really gotta be focused on the target & keep swing thoughts to an absolute minimum. This is really, really hard for me lol!

Went 43/47 for a 90 today. Much better ball striking towards the end, really started to feel my swing and not come across the ball.

50/44-94 yesterday. All over the map with 2 birdies, 1 par, 7 bogeys, 7 doubles and a quad. Felt good on the back 9 though.

Trying To Break 90 Club

After a couple of slo-mo videos I'm closing the club face on my back swing and keeping it closed hence the hooks.

Just spent a couple of hours range time concentrating on feeling I am rolling my wrists on my take away and opening the face or at least feeling like it is opened. The result when done correctly straight ball flight, when I break down on the down swing I'm still going left but half the distance I have been seeing. This is going to take a few sessions to in grain but the results are a lot better. Will see what happens on the course tomorrow.

Tapped from my smarter than me phone.

Back