Trying To Break 90 Club

So I'm not playing right now bC of weather, prob won't until MArch. I am taking lesson package from GolfTec and look forward to what I can do once those are done. My goal will be to consistently break 90. Reading these helps remind me its not just full swing, it's short game, mental game, course mgt.

For those thst consistently break 90, may I ask what your typical GIR and scrambling % are? Trying to ID some goals there. Thinking 40-45% GIR and 35% scrambling will be about right. My putting is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only hit 6 today and had 37 putts, 18 tee shots, 4second shots, 1penalty totaling 67 strokes leaving 22 other shots for my 89.

You can miss every GIR chip/pitch once on every hole 2putt every hole and shoot 90, if you hit one GIR and two putt or if you one putt just one hole you shoot 89.

There's a million ways to break 90 and they way it's done will vary every round but great putting and a bullet proof short game will help save your butt. But controlling your where you miss with your long game is what sets up the opportunity to score.

Had a freak 60 degree day here in STL. It was 8 degrees this past Sunday... 60 today... forecast high of 17 this coming Sunday. Who knows.

Snuck out on my home course since the weather was good. I didn't bother keeping score on the front as I bounced around several holes avoiding a weekly 4 man scramble.

Carded a +8 43 on the back with three lipped out putts... 40 would've been my PB 9 hole score.

I did have a first: hit one into the greenside bunker on a par three. The bunker had standing water from the floods we had a couple weeks back but it had frozen over. My ball bounced out of the ice-bunker and onto the fringe. Got up/down for par.

In order to see where I stand regarding shooting a 90 or less, I assign a score of 5 to each hole, that is 18 times 5 equals 90. Accordingly, Par 3 holes have additional significance to me. If I can get a par on a Par 3, getting that 3 puts me 2 strokes under budget, in a manner of speaking. That allows room for a double on a Par 4 hole and allows me to stay on budget. Or a bogey on a par 5 is compensated. If I can par a Par 4, that helps my par 5 budget and so on. My goal is to play more holes under budget than I play over budget.

In order to see where I stand regarding shooting a 90 or less, I assign a score of 5 to each hole, that is 18 times 5 equals 90. Accordingly, Par 3 holes have additional significance to me. If I can get a par on a Par 3, getting that 3 puts me 2 strokes under budget, in a manner of speaking. That allows room for a double on a Par 4 hole and allows me to stay on budget. Or a bogey on a par 5 is compensated. If I can par a Par 4, that helps my par 5 budget and so on. My goal is to play more holes under budget than I play over budget.
I do this exact same thing man. It really works for me and my game. Only thing that throws me off is when I throw up a big number and I have to keep my composure and stay focused, not an easy thing to do at all.

I do this exact same thing man. It really works for me and my game. Only thing that throws me off is when I throw up a big number and I have to keep my composure and stay focused, not an easy thing to do at all.

I understand and agree it adds a bit of pressure. However, if that big number occurs early in the round, that just tells me I need to focus on the Par 3s. For example, if I shoot and 8 on a par 5, that's 3 over budget. If I can par a par 3, that immediately brings me back to just 1 over budget and so on.

I understand and agree it adds a bit of pressure. However, if that big number occurs early in the round, that just tells me I need to focus on the Par 3s. For example, if I shoot and 8 on a par 5, for example, that's 3 over budget. If I can par a par 3, that immediately brings me back to just 1 over budget and so on.
Yeah thats a good strategy. It also helps me play the Par 5s really intelligently decent drive and still 230 out I am taking 5 iron or 6 iron and try and advance the ball and put myself in a good position to have a wedge into the green and make a 2 putt.

It's amazing how good you hit your 2nd on a par 5 when laying up for a 3rd shot. More often than not I flush the layup and end up inside of my expected distance. I walk away wondering why cant I swing like that everytime.

It's amazing how good you hit your 2nd on a par 5 when laying up for a 3rd shot. More often than not I flush the layup and end up inside of my expected distance. I walk away wondering why cant I swing like that everytime.
Lol! This is so true. It would be nice to be able to take that club that you could actually reach the green in 2 with and take that "layup" swing, but my brain gets in the way and it rarely happens.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Probably because there's not as much pressure to hit a great shot and you relax more. When you relax, your swing has a better tempo and rhythm which leads to better contact.

Urh, shot 92 with 4 three putts...back to the putting greens.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Trying To Break 90 Club

My next 10 days will be quite the golf journey. I doubt I break 90 but hopeful it will set me up to break 90 often this year.

- 2 rounds in Vegas (Cascata and Paiute Wolf). Hoping desert 50 degrees feel somewhat close to 50 in Atlanta.
- 1 round in Orlando TBD
- 2 day golf Clinic with Monte S
- 1 round in Orlando TBD

I heard great things about Monte's clinic and hope I can leave with a better idea of the golf swing and a more solid short game. I wish the weather was better. I have free time and the weather doesn't cooperate.

My next 10 days will be quite the golf journey. I doubt I break 90 but hopeful it will set me up to break 90 often this year.

- 2 rounds in Vegas (Cascata and Paiute Wolf). Hoping desert 50 degrees feel somewhat close to 50 in Atlanta.
- 1 round in Orlando TBD
- 2 day golf Clinic with Monte S
- 1 round in Orlando TBD

I heard great things about Monte's clinic and hope I can leave with a better idea of the golf swing and a more solid short game. I wish the weather was better. I have free time and the weather doesn't cooperate.

Sounds like a great trip, good luck breaking 90! 50 degrees anywhere has to be better than the 10* I woke up to this morning. Gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous...

shot 91 at McDowell Mountain golf club with only one 3 putt, some bad topped 5 woods and a few stinger wedges pushed me over.

Sounds like a great trip, good luck breaking 90! 50 degrees anywhere has to be better than the 10* I woke up to this morning. Gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous...

I'm jealous too. Going thru off-season withdrawals. I keep trying Tiger Woods on Xbox but it's not scratching the itch.

I'm such an analysis-paralysis guy that this kind of method is distracting for me. I can see how useful it is for some but I'd be so far inside my own head at that point trying to stay on budget that I'd be mentally strung out.

I add up my score at the turn and have a little talk w/ myself about what I need to do on the back 9 to get under 90 and that's about all the analysis I can handle before my brain locks up and I start overthinking everything.

I'm having to lower my expectations for my end game due to age and accumulated sports injuries. There is only so much practice I can do on range mats. If I was 30 years younger I'd probably be a range rat and be headed for single digits, but I don't think that's reachable for me.

This said, one day I hit my irons well and can't hit my driver worth a damn. Then the next I hit my driver well, and can't hit my irons worth a damn. I'm taking lessons I'm working on an early extension problem. Today I hit my irons well, but was slicing my driver. And I still can't hit a 22.5 degree hybrid. I'd rather hit a 22.5 degree iron.

I know on the course that my problem is going for the risk reward shots. If I was having a good round I wouldn't take them. The problem is what I consider a good round is not what I'm playing. I've set the standard for a good round too high, so I challenge the course with this insane notion that I should be parring every hole. I mean it's not that hard, right? My average par 4 is 320 yds. Hit a decent drive + wedge shot and two putt.... How hard can it be? Sure a couple of par 3s are 160 yds, and I might get bogey. But one is only 118 and that should be a birdie. Then there are the par 5s: 410, 423, 419, and 475. Two of those should be at worst birdie opportunities. One a solid par. This game shouldn't be that hard. Why am I struggling?

I do stupid crap like top shots, hit a fat 7 iron 50 yds on a par 5 after a 250 yd drive that I put in the middle of the fairway, or hook that 7 iron out of bounds - there, that's a good one. Now that drive turns into a double bogey with a possibility of a triple. But I've learned something - that second ball I hit is now a "provisional" just in case the first one is still in bounds.... actually it's a provisional in case I hook that one out, too.

I'm going to get out today on this unusually warm January day here in southern Illinois. Probably won't take too much stock in my score today because of the wind and the whole bottom of my bag has changed. New irons, wedges, and putter, so we'll see if they're going to help my game out any. I've got a hybrid on the way, but hopefully I can game this bag for the entire year. As of right now I'm feeling pretty good about my gamers and hopefully I feel the same after my round today.

I actually broke 90 today! The wind was really strong today and my short irons were fat all day, it's the first round with the new irons and I just haven't adjusted to them yet. But the driver, FW, wedges, and putter were all pretty good.

I thought I shot a 90, but looking back over my GPS app that I use to keep score and stats and realized that I had put 5 on a par 3 and I just had a bogey which gave me an 89. I shot a 42/47 and only had 30 putts.

GIR and FIR weren't very good, FIR due to the wind and GIR due to the fat approach shot, but I put a lot of pitches and chips close and made a lot of putts. I also wasn't very far off on the tee and a lot off those were still in very playable position that I was able to keep out of trouble. Only had one penalty off the tee which helped a lot today, played the same ball on the whole front 9 and lost it on 12 and finished the round on the next ball. It was also a PB on putts for me, due to low GIR but I'll take it, I had 7 1-putts and only 1 3-putt.

I actually broke 90 today!

Nicely done! We need to get out and play next time you're up this way. Beers are on me!

I got out on the course yesterday as well. Crazy to have 60 degree weather here this time of year. Didn't keep score on the front 9; just used it to warm up and get the cobwebs cleared out. Shot 43 on the back.

Missed my first ace by about 10 minutes and 2 inches on #11... it normally plays as a 185y par three but the moved it up to about 170. I was the first one out on the back 9 and was a couple holes behind the guy who was setting the pins.

The tee in the pic below is on the right edge of the pin from the previous day (which he had just moved a few minutes before I got to 11). As you can see in the pic my ball left a trail in the dew over the right edge of the old pin position... and just across the left edge of today's pin! Missed my first hole-in-one by a few inches and a few minutes. At least I made the birdie putt

hi1denied.jpg

Nicely done! We need to get out and play next time you're up this way. Beers are on me!

I got out on the course yesterday as well. Crazy to have 60 degree weather here this time of year. Didn't keep score on the front 9; just used it to warm up and get the cobwebs cleared out. Shot 43 on the back.

Missed my first ace by about 10 minutes and 2 inches on #11... it normally plays as a 185y par three but the moved it up to about 170. I was the first one out on the back 9 and was a couple holes behind the guy who was setting the pins

Thanks man, I kind of jinxed myself on the back. I had a passing thought at the turn that I didn't have to score that well on the back to still have a decent round. Then I put up a 47...

I'll let you know when I'm going to be up your way, but I may partake in a Busch product.

That's a heartbreaker on that almost ACE, I've been in a within an inch of one before and it's an unusual feeling.

Thanks man, I kind of jinxed myself on the back. I had a passing thought at the turn that I didn't have to score that well on the back to still have a decent round. Then I put up a 47...

I'll let you know when I'm going to be up your way, but I may partake in a Busch product.

That's a heartbreaker on that almost ACE, I've been in a within an inch of one before and it's an unusual feeling.

Sure thing; I work downtown not too far from AB. The Schlafly brewery is pretty close as is Urban Chestnut.

Sure thing; I work downtown not too far from AB. The Schlafly brewery is pretty close as is Urban Chestnut.

I have a cousin that used to live right in the middle of Soulard where they have the big Mardi Gras festivities, we had a LOT of fun there and it's a fun neighborhood. We definitely have to get together and break 90 sometime and maybe we can get some other local THP'ers together sometime too.

I have a cousin that used to live right in the middle of Soulard where they have the big Mardi Gras festivities, we had a LOT of fun there and it's a fun neighborhood. We definitely have to get together and break 90 sometime and maybe we can get some other local THP'ers together sometime too.

Sure thing; Soulard is a blast.

Any other Breaking 90 thread folks in the Midwest? We could have a Breaking 90 meetup...

That's weird, I just popped in to check out this thread. I've already broken 90 multiple times, but I'm located just east of St. Louis on the IL side.

Back