The Biggest Stakes

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the biggest stakes you have played for, NOT including cash in bets and wagers. Meaning have you ever played in tournaments with something major on the line?

Did you think about the prize/winnings during the round?

Biggest for me would be qualifying for the Cleveland Am. I've tried 4 times and only made it once. Never thought about it during the round, but after the first round I gave myself a number id need to make it. Can't wait to try again this year!

Since the MVP of the King got into the Grandaddy, that should count right? I can't say I thought about it much during the rounds though, maybe because the actual MVP was so busy destroying me.

I played in a club championship. Lost in the semi finals and didn't think about the prize.

Played for club championship ( a long time ago ). I really don't think about what I win. I concentrate on the competition being the reward.

I've played in some bigger, local events where 1st prize in Championship Flight was around $1000. I was always near the middle of Championship Flight, usually around 5 shots back at best. Never did come real close to winning it though. Usually the winner of the event would shoot a two day total of a couple under par, and the best finish I had over the two days was 3 over. So, no it didn't get in my head.

I play my cousin every summer for fantasy football draft picks. That's intense

Well, in August of 2016 I'm going to be playing (for the first time) in my clubs premier event. It's a 4 man team handicapped event over 3 days. 27 holes per day. Last year, the winning team split like $12,500.00 amongst themselves. With my terribly sad performance history in club championships and county amateur events of the past, I'm sure I'll find someway to completely crap down my leg and play like a 100 handicapper. :banghead:

By far the biggest thing I've played for is the Grandaddy Belt. I may not have won the hardware, but I think everyone would consider playing in that event a resounding win!

What are the biggest stakes you have played for, NOT including cash in bets and wagers. Meaning have you ever played in tournaments with something major on the line?

Did you think about the prize/winnings during the round?

I play every year in the member/member tournament with my dad, and there is always a calcutta and a ton of betting. The year we came in third, my dad bought half our team back and I ended up with 600 in cash in my pocket (which I think is insane, for THIRD). I think our team gets bid up every year now because of that.

I didn't really realize what kind of money was on the line until that point, so I didn't dwell on it during my round. We've come close to making the playoffs including this past year, but it was pretty far from my mind (the money). I was more worried about my dad having fun and not giving him a shot he didn't like during day 2 alt-shot.

Hopefully I remember to bump this thread after #TheCup with what's at stake there!

Hopefully I remember to bump this thread after #TheCup with what's at stake there!

Yeah those are pretty big stakes.
Vegas are pretty big stakes too.
Oh yeah, Chicago will be very big stakes too.

Yeah those are pretty big stakes.
Vegas are pretty big stakes too.
Oh yeah, Chicago will be very big stakes too.

I think the RegionalRivalry MVP is a bit different, but what a ride that will be as well. Going to see the best of the best rise to the top for that one.

Jr club championship and a variety of other jr events. Noting since I have been considered an adult.

I go to a get together in Myrtle Beach with my older brother and his golf buddies ... we play a Ryder Cup format on one day ... I have yet to lose my match in 2 years ... it is a lot of pressure because I do not want to cost the team the loss ... I will say however, two years running my team has lost over all ...

No real golf stakes for me. Plenty of $500 poker tournaments though.

The santa barbara county amateur at my home course usually pays out about $750 script for first in the net division. About 4 years ago heading into the last day I was in the final group. The $ was definitely in my head as I wanted a new set of irons. I think I started 2 shots back of the leader and after 9, I was something like 8 shots back. I did battle back and finished 5th in the tourney. I think I won about $150.

The King had the Grandaddy on the line, but honestly that wasn't in my head that much that weekend. I just wanted to have a good time. Playing great golf just happened.

Won the member member last year, between Calcutta and side bets walked away with about $1000. Never thought about the cash, more worried about letting my partner down, it meant a lot to him at 68 years young. It was the first win for both of us, and luckily, I had no idea how well we were doing..

The santa barbara county amateur at my home course usually pays out about $750 script for first in the net division. About 4 years ago heading into the last day I was in the final group. The $ was definitely in my head as I wanted a new set of irons. I think I started 2 shots back of the leader and after 9, I was something like 8 shots back. I did battle back and finished 5th in the tourney. I think I won about $150.

The King had the Grandaddy on the line, but honestly that wasn't in my head that much that weekend. I just wanted to have a good time. Playing great golf just happened.

I love this line.
You should have followed it up with "Its what I do".

Two man scramble that paid 5k to win. 6 man cash scrambles that pay pretty good. Some pretty big qualifiers and when I thought I might want a career in golf the PAT.

Never once did I think about the score in those events. I just tried play as good as possible. Which didn't always happen. Lone exception would be the PAT because you know ahead of time what you need to shot.

I love this line.
You should have followed it up with "Its what I do".

Everybody already knows that:bananadance:, no need to be redundant.

The Biggest Stakes

The gauntlet trophy. Didn't really think about it during.

For me, it was the Morgan Cup. It was the most I have ever played for and the most meaningful competition to date I have ever played in. My teammates, pride and bragging rights were on the line. While not victorious, we all still won. Second would be winning the Season Ending Two day championship in the Golfweek Amtour to secure my flight championship for the year. Knew I needed to win to secure it and it happened. Amazingly, it was the best golf I played the entire season. Didn't think about it once after the peg went into the ground.

JM

For me, none. Have only played for pride, and judging my by handicap ... I have none. :silly:

A bunch of Jr and high school tournaments when I was younger, but nothing outside of friendly 4 man events since then. I've played in charity tournaments plenty of times, but my groups don't normally buy into the hundreds of dollars in junk, therefore don't really expect to win.

We had a tournament at the club this year and through a contest they were having three guys got a chance for a million dollars at a 160 yard hole in one shot afterwards. Best I remember no one came close.

Back