Galen Marek

Reaction score
Handicap
So during the NorCal/SoCal match Hicksta and I spoke about the DNA tests. My mom got me one those DNA tests from Ancestry.com and here are my results. Anyone else taken one of these tests? Results you'd care to share?

Scandinavia 31%
Iberian Peninsula 27%
Native American 16% New Mexico From your regions: Native American, Iberian Peninsula, Europe South
Great Britain 6%
Europe West 5%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 5%
Europe South 4%
Caucasus 3%
Asia Central 2%
Middle East 1%
Europe East 1%
Nigeria 1%

There were no real big surprises. The Scandinavian is from my father's side. They came from Norway to the US in 1906 and changed their last name to something more American sounding. My father's side wasn't very accepting of my mother so we aren't very close and I've never felt any connection to the Norwegian side so I don't know much about them. I was basically raised to believe I was American of Mexican descent.

The Iberian Peninsula (Spain), Native American, Middle East and African regions are from my mother's side in basically half the percentages her test showed and are basically the Mexican makeup. They came from Spain to Mexico in the 1400's and settled in Northern Mexico and intermingled with the indigenous people. The Ireland/Scotland/Wales comes from my grandma on my mom's side. Looking at our family tree the other family names were Salazar, Rodriguez, Espinoza, etc but she was a McKenzie and married my grandpa Espinoza. Interestingly enough due to an affair my mother's maiden name should have been Rodriguez rather than Espinoza.

Just make sure you haven't committed any crimes cause law enforcement is checking public DNA profiles.

So during the NorCal/SoCal match Hicksta and I spoke about the DNA tests. My mom got me one those DNA tests from Ancestry.com and here are my results. Anyone else taken one of these tests? Results you'd care to share?

Scandinavia 31%
Iberian Peninsula 27%
Native American 16% New Mexico From your regions: Native American, Iberian Peninsula, Europe South
Great Britain 6%
Europe West 5%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 5%
Europe South 4%
Caucasus 3%
Asia Central 2%
Middle East 1%
Europe East 1%
Nigeria 1%

There were no real big surprises. The Scandinavian is from my father's side. They came from Norway to the US in 1906 and changed their last name to something more American sounding. My father's side wasn't very accepting of my mother so we aren't very close and I've never felt any connection to the Norwegian side so I don't know much about them. I was basically raised to believe I was American of Mexican descent.

The Iberian Peninsula (Spain), Native American, Middle East and African regions are from my mother's side in basically half the percentages her test showed and are basically the Mexican makeup. They came from Spain to Mexico in the 1400's and settled in Northern Mexico and intermingled with the indigenous people. The Ireland/Scotland/Wales comes from my grandma on my mom's side. Looking at our family tree the other family names were Salazar, Rodriguez, Espinoza, etc but she was a McKenzie and married my grandpa Espinoza. Interestingly enough due to an affair my mother's maiden name should have been Rodriguez rather than Espinoza.

Just make sure you haven't committed any crimes cause law enforcement is checking public DNA profiles.

Not to mention that your DNA data are also being sold to research, insurance and biotechnology companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife and I got our 23andme kits and I'll be sending me in for inclusion in multiple national databases :wink:. I have a good idea of my primary makeup, but I'm interested to see some of the smaller percentages!

The wife and I got our 23andme kits and I'll be sending me in for inclusion in multiple national databases :wink:. I have a good idea of my primary makeup, but I'm interested to see some of the smaller percentages!

Human.... and what else?

Human.... and what else?

According to some of my smartass friends, tacos and sleeveless shirts, too :rofl:

Sent my sample to Ancestry.com about a year ago. Below is the results I got back from them. I do know for a fact that my Great/Great Grandparents were the first immigrants to the U.S. in 1848, and that they immigrated to the U.S. from Carling, France which is on the German border. Most of my early ancestors that I have record of were a mix of either German or French.

DsH6wSbWkAECqrN.jpg:large

Last edited:
I would love to see the results of doing this, but I'm just not willing to put my DNA out there. If there was a way to do it totally anonymously I'd be all over it.

I would love to see the results of doing this, but I'm just not willing to put my DNA out there. If there was a way to do it totally anonymously I'd be all over it.

Privacy is a concern for me as well. My cousin and sister have already traced back most of my grandparents and great-grandparents to the exact counties/towns where they were born in Norway, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands so I doubt there are any surprises.

My daughter recently did a research paper in her college biology class and found that our common family trait of blue eyes and dark brown hair is unusual with only about 1% of the worldwide population exhibiting both those traits. Blue eyes are not that rare with 17% of the US and 8% of the worldwide population having them but evidently most blue-eyed people have blonde hair. In my family tree both my grandfathers, paternal grandmother, father, uncle, brother, myself, and 2 of my 3 kids all have blue eyes and dark brown hair.

My wife had the 23 and me test done free through her employer to look for genetic health risks and had no surprises - all Northern and Western European.

Last edited:
My wife did one just because, there was a .01% unknown in there. I told her I knew she was an alien!!!!!!

Same. It goes beyond that though ... if you have close family members doing these tests, given genetic similarities between family members, anyone who wants to (law enforcement, insurance companies, etc) will be able to make inferences. Part of the reason I won't do it is because I don't want to potentially saddle my kids with my results should there be something there an insurance company might consider to be worth jacking their rates up over. It'll be interesting how the laws eventually deal with these issues (particularly when it comes to potentially inherited medical conditions).

Other issues revolve around whether or not these companies are keeping (or destroying) your DNA, and just how secure is the data they collect on you? Specific DNA sequences are incredibly easy to manufacture and very cheap as well, and if particular stretches are eventually used for information security/biometric purposes ... well, having them plastered all over the dark web won't be a good thing.

DsIzk6yX4AAdyia.jpg:large

I bought one of these but haven't sent it in. All this privacy talk is making me not want to do it now!

This is why I am afraid to do it. Not that I have committed any real crimes, but what happens if I am related to someone that is a real life ax murderer?

This is why I am afraid to do it. Not that I have committed any real crimes, but what happens if I am related to someone that is a real life ax murderer?

How would that effect you?

How would that effect you?

It would be jarring as hell. I can't identify anyone in my immediate family circle that is likely, so it means it would be a complete shock and I would honestly rather not know.

I bought one of these but haven't sent it in. All this privacy talk is making me not want to do it now!

Read the fine print and know your data may be sold and or used elsewhere.

My wife did one a few months back due to some questions regarding two half sister's her and her brother never knew existed. The test helped confirm she had two sister's she never knew about and allowed her to "connect" with them.

I myself, have no desire to put my stuff out there on blast for many of the reasons folks have listed here, not that I have anything to hide but ya know....

I’m about half convinced these DNA tests are all being run by the NSA to add to their pile of data about us.

Isn't this how the Golden State Killer was caught? All for it!

Mine just says, "Asian". Big waste of money...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm perfectly comfortable abstaining to protect the perfection that is my DNA sequence. :alien:

Isn't this how the Golden State Killer was caught? All for it!

Kind of. A researcher compared the cold case DNA from the suspect to the DNA records available on a particular site that compiles uploaded DNA information. They used the suspect's DNA to find a relative, then interviewed the person and started getting info on family, then traced it to the person's uncle or some such thing. He turned out to be the killer.

Back