Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Driver - THP Review

Nice job Dan, sounds like one of the best adapters that's been brought to market to date. Curious if that adapter is readily available for purchase by those which like to tinker. Glad to see that balls hit well away from center were still playable as forgiveness across the face is always at the top of my list.

Very well written. Look forward to trying it in person!

I really want to hit this driver but I'm worried the 12.5 setting combined with a draw bias at that setting won't be a good match for me. Only one way to find out!

Regardless of whether or not it fits me (few drivers do), this is a great addition to W/S lineup and another large step in the right direction.

Great review Dan. Interesting that the weight is that much forward, yet Wilson managed to maintain forgiveness across the face. I like the offering from Wilson and it's good see them offering a quality option for golfers.

Solid review. This sounds like it could be a real winner for me.

Can't wait until the Wilson Staff guy comes back to the base course here. He's here probably every 6-8 months, so he's due. Got to check this F5 stuff out.

I appreciate the positive responses to my review, guys. I hope that everyone gets a chance to hit this driver, as it was a really nice direction for Wilson Staff to take for their latest release. It was a blast to adjust the lofts, and really promoted nice flight throughout the settings.

Very much worth your time to hit.

I read the review, but I didn't get a sense of overall performance... Usually a general statement regarding distance or spin "for this tester" is mentioned, not in literal terms, but in a general way vs a current gamer or vs previously tested clubs. So, how did it do vs "others" you've tested, overall? I got a sense forgiveness was good for a "player's club", so curious about other results.

Thanks.

I read the review, but I didn't get a sense of overall performance... Usually a general statement regarding distance or spin "for this tester" is mentioned, not in literal terms, but in a general way vs a current gamer or vs previously tested clubs. So, how did it do vs "others" you've tested, overall? I got a sense forgiveness was good for a "player's club", so curious about other results.

Thanks.

There is a lot of talk about the F5 being on the lower end of the spin spectrum, but I think some modifications can be made when the unit is purchased alongside the weights that might increase the swing speed and spin rates by incorporating the lighter weight (Michael Vrska suggests minimal launch alterations and around 150rpm of spin).

With that in mind, I still saw my typical high launch profile at 12.5* of loft, yet my distance was really quite impressive at that height. Nothing on a unit that I trust sharing unfortunately, but I think Jman may be able to offer some insight as he knows my game well and saw the 12.5* and 9.5* setups of the F5. At the lowest setting, I think I was more in the mid-flight range with really not much concern for spin, however i would probably alter the shaft before commenting in a 'head v head' comparison. As far as stock setups, I was quite pleased and agree with their assessment of spin rates in total.

I appreciate the positive responses to my review, guys. I hope that everyone gets a chance to hit this driver, as it was a really nice direction for Wilson Staff to take for their latest release. It was a blast to adjust the lofts, and really promoted nice flight throughout the settings.

Very much worth your time to hit.

will be one of the ones I try to spend some time with at club clash. I thought the d200 had a lot to offer and if I could knock off some of the spin I saw and keep the forgiveness that would be something I would be all over. Sounds like this has the chance to do that.

The price point seems like a perfect place for W/S. High enough not to be considered outrageous and not low enough to be laughed at and overlooked.

Great review Dan! I have added this to my test list for sure this year.

Great write up buddy. I stand by the quote of mine that you put in there too. Never have a I hit a club that felt different from the way it sounds if that makes any sense at all.

Great write up buddy. I stand by the quote of mine that you put in there too. Never have a I hit a club that felt different from the way it sounds if that makes any sense at all.

I really found your comment interesting, which is why I wanted to add it to the overall review. We are all unique in our swings, and I do absolutely everything I can to make each and every one of my reviews unique to the club, not myself. I found your quote accomplished that.

Edit: And coming from a bit of a traditionalist in you, I think that comment speaks volumes.

There is a lot of talk about the F5 being on the lower end of the spin spectrum, but I think some modifications can be made when the unit is purchased alongside the weights that might increase the swing speed and spin rates by incorporating the lighter weight (Michael Vrska suggests minimal launch alterations and around 150rpm of spin).

With that in mind, I still saw my typical high launch profile at 12.5* of loft, yet my distance was really quite impressive at that height. Nothing on a unit that I trust sharing unfortunately, but I think Jman may be able to offer some insight as he knows my game well and saw the 12.5* and 9.5* setups of the F5. At the lowest setting, I think I was more in the mid-flight range with really not much concern for spin, however i would probably alter the shaft before commenting in a 'head v head' comparison. As far as stock setups, I was quite pleased and agree with their assessment of spin rates in total.

Definitely think you were in that mid-high zone when hitting it in 9.5 and then the 12.5 just turned the world upside down. Silly high, but so freaking long, and you were still hitting it past a group of pretty long knockers imo (Tadashi, Fupresti, then somewhere way in the back, me).

How does this thing compare to your LTD which is basically the holy grail of low spin/forgiveness?

How does this thing compare to your LTD which is basically the holy grail of low spin/forgiveness?

Club Clash. Big event happening on THP and I'm sure you will get some great comments to help you.

Took this out to the driving range tonight, had 3 initial impressions:

1. It launches really high for me, even set at -1.
2. It's loud! The sound almost reminds me of an aluminum bat, but more muted.
3. It's really straight. I didn't have 1 hit on the range that would have caused me trouble on the course I don't think.

Distance seemed about the same as my X2 hot, but I wasn't hitting them side by side so I'll have to do a better comparison later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Took this out to the driving range tonight, had 3 initial impressions:

1. It launches really high for me, even set at -1.
2. It's loud! The sound almost reminds me of an aluminum bat, but more muted.
3. It's really straight. I didn't have 1 hit on the range that would have caused me trouble on the course I don't think.

Distance seemed about the same as my X2 hot, but I wasn't hitting them side by side so I'll have to do a better comparison later.

Please keep us posted.

So I hit both drivers at GolfTec today, had pretty similar numbers with both. I'm guessing it's more to do with my swing than anything else. I'm not sure how accurate the #s are since my distance seems a bit short, but I'm thinking it's consistent at least. The last 3 rows are the F5 and the three before that are the X2 Hot ( pitching wedge before those).

c1e323d60c067404fe6f9d6b5f09eb32.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but was just wondering if anyone was gaming one of the f5 drivers? They are seriously down in price my way and am very much pondering one

Back