Shorts on the PGA Tour

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had a number of threads on this over the last few years, but today another PGA Tour player said something about it. This time Jordan Spieth from Alistair Tait reporting from Abu Dhabi.

“I think it’s awesome,” Spieth said Wednesday at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, responding to the European Tour’s relaxed dress code during tournament practice rounds and pro-ams. "It will be something that I would love to see on the PGA Tour, as well. I’ve not heard one person complain about it."

So what do you think? Is it time?

Nope. Not for me. Practice rounds and competition I feel they should be in slacks. Not sure why but just do.

No

-Maynard. :alien:

As for me I'm not sure. Practice rounds and such I have to say why not. Something about during the actual tournament though it still feels like it should be the dress code to wear pants.

Yes. Let's start with pro ams and practice rounds and see how it works.

I say why not, the game and just about everything else has evolved over time, why not the dress code

Yes, shorts should be allowed for all rounds. Not a single reason I can think of why they shouldn't be able to.

I would see no reason not to let them wear shorts for practice rounds.

I thought it was time 5 years ago when the issue came up. My opinion hasn't changed. I wonder if it's different this time around because #1 in the world is advocating for it instead of a journeyman tour pro.

I am certainly for shorts in the practice rounds and pro ams.

I'm not big on shorts personally but I could probably get over it

I thought it was time 5 years ago when the issue came up. My opinion hasn't changed. I wonder if it's different this time around because #1 in the world is advocating for it instead of a journeyman tour pro.

I was at Doral one year and they asked then #1 Tiger Woods about it because it was very hot. His answer was basically

"We all play in shorts all year long for practice. Then come and play in pants for practice rounds even and it could be switched easily."

I hope it changes, because it should have been years ago, but there just seems like a certain group in charge that will keep it from happening.

No. We wear collared shirts for a Professional look. Nothing screams "Professional" like a guy in shorts.

With that said, I wouldn't care if they wore them during Pro/Am's or practice rounds, but not during a Tournament round.

Yes shorts should be allowed, even for rounds.

I have no problem with Pro Ams and practice rounds. If it works out then why not roll it out, I do kind of like them having to wear the pants during the real rounds, but I wear shorts when I play, not going to force someone else to wear pants.

Yes it is time! If John Daily can wear crazy style pants players should be able to wear a nice pair of shorts for full competition. To meet in the middle for the "old timers/traditionalist) make them wear pants at all the majors.

Looking at it from a different perspective. Could relaxed dress codes allow apparel companies to market more products? If this is possible, the powers that be within the PGA Tour may not have a choice, eventually. Without the endorsements, the PGA Tour doesn't exist.

I read an article a little while back pertaining to the European Tour experimenting with this philosophy.

the dress code has evolved substantially over time. put bobby jones side-by-side with rickie fowler or john f-ing daly. i guess i don't care about the practice rounds or pro ams, but i don't want to see pants go away in tournament play.

Makes no difference to me. I think it would look odd if they were wearing shorts at the Masters, but I doubt Augusta would let that happen either way. Will it matter if they were wearing shorts in Hawaii the last couple weeks?

I'd be fine with the pro ams and practice rounds. Heck, I'd be fine with the regular rounds as well. I'm a person that tends to always be on the chilly side, but wearing pants when it's 85+ degrees is pretty intense if you ask me.

Absolutely, they should be able to wear shorts if they want. I mean Rickie got away with joggers. Let's be honest, shorts are always better than that

We have had a number of threads on this over the last few years, but today another PGA Tour player said something about it. This time Jordan Spieth from Alistair Tait reporting from Abu Dhabi.

“I think it’s awesome,” Spieth said Wednesday at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, responding to the European Tour’s relaxed dress code during tournament practice rounds and pro-ams. "It will be something that I would love to see on the PGA Tour, as well. I’ve not heard one person complain about it."

So what do you think? Is it time?

During the practice rounds? I think it's great. Have at it.

If the weather is hot enough, then why shouldn't they be allowed to wear shorts? Personally I think it should be allowed, even if just from a comfort perspective when playing in extreme heat

What is the dress code for the women? Does it have the same rules that they aren't allowed to wear shorts?

practice rounds, absolutely.

I'm not sure which is worse. Daly's pants or the idea of him showing off old man legs..........

Seriously though I don't care. Let them eat cake!!!
Wait.... Let them wear shorts!!!!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I think they should be able to wear shorts whenever!! I don't agree with professional image thing but if that's your thing, it's OK too!!

Back