How Do You Play the 30 Yard Shot

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Assume there is no bunker or hazard in the way, but you have 30 yards to the pin and it’s a medium sized green without much slope.

How do you play it?

Depending on the pin location, I'd grab my 52, set it back of my stance, pitch and run. Hoping for not too much undulations.

58* narrow stance slightly back or left arm pit, slight deloft using grip shallow AOA use bounce with shaft just past 10pm. Aiming to carry it 27

I would hit my 54 and in my head I would say "don't hit it fat" over and over.

Been working on this shot a lot. Used to hit my 50 but now it's just a perfect little nip with the 60 and stops dead in its tracks.

Are we in the fairway? I'm grabbing my mallet and playing croquet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Assuming playing out of fairway and not significantly soggy/soft, it really depends on pin location and the fairway just in front of green. If pin is middle or further back, I'll hit my 54 wedge and bump it up. If pin is middle to front, I'll take my 58 and fly to land on front side trying to get minimal role (5'). It really is a very finesse shot cause nothing is worse than chunking it so keeping head and lower body quiet is paramount, allowing for smooth hip rotation.

Usually a bump and run eight or nine iron depending on the length of the grass.

56. feet somewhat close together. pretty square face. ball a little back from center. maintain posture throughout. contact ground about 1/2” behind ball with the the bounce. accelerate through impact. a little inside out path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I luckily don't have many 30 yard shots but when I do it's normally a SW played to a medium trajectory. If I'm a bit closer, say 20-25 yards it something lower lofted, often a 4 wood with a putting stroke especially at my home courses' tightly mowed aprons.

Assuming 15 fairway and 15 green, I'd probably use my SW/54°. Not sure I'm willing to fly it 27 as mentioned above, but I feel confident I could get it relatively close.

Now, that being said, the shot could be played with a LW/60°, GW, or 4h, too, if the variables changed just a bit. If I've got less green to work with, I'd lean toward the LW, and if the pins is back and I'm just barely off the green, I'd be inclined to bump it with the 4h.

Right now it's my 54 wedge choked down about 2", narrow stance with the ball off my right foot. About a 1/4 swing and I'm trying to clip it clean so get some spin. I should have a new 50 degree RTX-4 soon and I'm thinking that will be my club of choice in the 30-50 yard range.

This is usually my 54 - nothing fancy just a straightforward pitch, unless I have all closely mown grass to work with, in which case I might take less loft and run it up. But I've gotten much better this year at getting this shot close.

Trap pitch with my 54 to release the final 5 yards.

58 or 54, depends on if it’s firm or wet.

If it’s somewhat receptive I’m probably using my 54 and expecting it to roll out a bit. If it’s firm I’ll either bump and run a 50 or if I’m hitting my 58 well that day I may try to throw it closer to the hole and expect a little roll out.

Last edited:
From the fairway I'd play it safe and bump and run with an 8i (feet almost together)

From the rough I'd most likely put it the ball behind my right foot and hit my 58

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I generally skull it 60 yards across the green unless I hit my playing partner who stops it...

Gapper set to middle back of stance. Think low and let it release would be going through my mind.

JM

54 wedge with the ball played back and hopefully not hitting it fat and leaving it way short!

Love this shot, 60º bring the club back just enough that the shaft is parallel with the ground and make an easy swing. Goes about 30 yards and stops quick.

Bump and run 8i is my safe play every time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

56* just rear of center with hands out front at address. Trap it just a little and make sure to keep eyes on the ball until it is in the air.

Back