Alez367’s Journey to improved health and golf game

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
So a couple of days ago I got to thinking about my golf game now and how it’s changed from what it once was. Wasn’t getting mad but a couple things upset me and I knew the reason for the decline was completely on me and my past habits/tendencies so I decided to make a change as well as have some fun along the way and decided by writing it out hopefully I’ll keep myself interested and focused. So having said that, here goes…

The back 9 challenge to under par golf at Torrey North.

So I’m lucky to be able to call Torrey Pines GC my home course. As a “local” golf there is the best option per round money wise and the views can’t be beat so I decided to hold this challenge there. Over the next year I’ve decided to put playing full rounds of golf on hold (unless another thpers comes to town and wants to tee it up) and focus on myself and my game. I’ll be doing that by walking the back 9 on Torrey north using a push cart to carry my clubs. The goal is to build up my endurance and stamina to one day go back to walking 18 holes in the morning and being able to actually have a life after that rather than a 4 hour nap. The golf challenge has a twist: tee off from the most forward tee and continue to play from there until I break par for 9 holes. Par is 36 and I’m hoping to end up at the black (longest) tee markers before end of 2019. Here’s the score card and couple photos from this morning to show some of the angles on the course

ad001f833f80cddaa77f7be65b0a55b6.jpg

267a0a6f4b543c89d73b1468ac586523.jpg

12f94fed4fe217c7a1f916cfb1ed8d65.jpg

7dec092031275aa805e4a512c131e274.jpg

b7418a927303ad371e8da25adbc9d9c5.jpg

ffca3923c5baee050b78d6ae7aeeea85.jpg

And the aforementioned “tonka truck”
c95eea0644cc34f121fe827f0209e8b0.jpg

So that’s it. Feel free to post comments or questions and I’ll answer as I see them. Don’t really expect a lot to come from this but I’ve noticed throughout my past couple years while I’ve dealt with injury, thpers along with 3 close friends locally have been my saving grace and figured why not. Give it a chance and hopefully I’ll look back on this in a year healthier and in a better place with my game.

Alex/alez367

Alez367’s Journey to improved health and golf game

First round is in the books

38(+2) - silver tees
4/7 fwys
6/9 GIRs
16 putts
958e471a912be4c9f04641a80933d418.jpg

Forgot to mention, Torrey pines is in “grow in” period for both courses for the Farmers Ins open so its CPO through January and rough is getting thick again. Soon they’ll start the 3-5 min rule for a lost ball

Last edited:
That was almost a quick move back! Oh how I miss Torrey!

JM

That was almost a quick move back! Oh how I miss Torrey!

JM

Yeah I lost it on 8 trying account for roll out on an approach pitch instead of just playing a normal shot. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed.

You got this!

great idea dude. looks like you’re well on your way!

Health is definitely the first thing to chase after! I think you'll find your game comes around once you start walking more and getting your legs underneath you. I also find walking let's me focus more as well. Keep at it sir. I'm certainly rooting for you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I definitely want to tee it up with you there when I get a chance. I also need to try this sometime from the forward tees just to see how I do.

I think this is a great idea!!!! It should have some great benefits of challenging golf, having realistic goals and the health benefits is awesome.
I bet this would be great for a lot of players to try on there home course to see how they could improve and see different parts of the course they usually don't.

I definitely want to tee it up with you there when I get a chance. I also need to try this sometime from the forward tees just to see how I do.

Anytime Ryan. It was crazy this morning. I’ve played Torrey more times than I can count but never once been in the spots I was today off the tee into a green and yet still only managed 2 birdies. Now the course is in its “grow in” period for the farmers Ins open so the rough is getting thick again so that’s part of the challenge from the forward few tees. Can’t just take driver and swing away. Took 5w exclusively and didn’t do too bad.
d0287722b3f2ecbccfcf2982b7288ae2.jpg

Good luck with improving overall fitness & golf! You got this. I'm subscribed too

Excited for you to get back to healthier happier you! Great way to kick it off with a 38!

I really like the twist. I’ll be following along.

I'm excited to follow your progress on this Alex.....also- Im gonna hit you up in Dec as im headed to SD and would love to tee it up with you again at Torrey Pines.

I'm excited to follow your progress on this Alex.....also- Im gonna hit you up in Dec as im headed to SD and would love to tee it up with you again at Torrey Pines.

You let me know when and I’ll grab the tee time. Would be great to tee it up with you again.

Great idea and great start! Maybe you'll have to change your name back for a while? :alien:

You let me know when and I’ll grab the tee time. Would be great to tee it up with you again.

yes sir- and next time I won't let you hit out of the muddy water ;) that dirty shower you took was stinky ;)

Great idea and great start! Maybe you'll have to change your name back for a while? :alien:

Mr Caliente is chilling in the Bahamas with Tupac and Elvis, never to be seen again.

yes sir- and next time I won't let you hit out of the muddy water ;) that dirty shower you took was stinky ;)

You have no clue. Those shoes went straight into the trash can and I drove home bare foot. Haven’t worn that jacket again, even after the 5th wash.

Great to see this! I love seeing people working on their health!

I don’t think it will take long for you to be able to walk 18. Im card carrying member of the push cart mafia, and when I started a couple years ago it was exhausting just walking 9. I walked 27 a few weeks ago with only minor fatigue, and sore feet (new shoes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I’ll be following along, and pulling for you!

Good for you man! Looking forward to following along!

Very cool idea. Good luck on the journey, man! Looking forward to following along.

You can do this!! I'll definitely be following your progress!

Great idea Alex! Hope to see improvements along the way. This may be a good idea for me once I get thru my rehab after my surgery.

I'll be following along on this journey of yours. Have fun with it and I hope your health and game improves dramatically!

Back