The Car Shopping Thread

I enjoy my jeep but the last several days I have been pondering trading it in for a pickup. Have the Tacoma and F150 on my mind. Not even sure why the pick up thought hit me.

I'm in the same boat Eric - but I know why the pick-up thought hit me.

I have always been a car guy, and finally got the car I really wanted when I got my RT Charger. Love the car - tremendous amount of power and features for the price!

Problem is - I'm starting to have trouble getting in and out of it. It sits a little lower than my 2008 Charger did, didn't really notice it when I bought it. I have always loved the Dodge Ram ( have a golf buddy who has one ) and my best friend just bought a F150 Platinum. So ponder is engaged - and if this outside sales gig comes through, I'll need a truck for sure anyway. Just frickin' sticker shock on the more equipped models though!

Yeah, even with the rebates you can be in for the cost of a decently equipped Q5.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Let me know if you have any question on the F-150.

Also, the new Raptor won't come out until the VERY end of the year as a 2017 model, IF you can find one for sale at a decent price. MOST of them will go for no less than MSPR.

The new Ranger IS COMING, however what we are hearing is it will be a 2018 model (so they can refresh the current overseas look for the US market), most likely. Also, the Bronco will be making a comeback and probably as a 2018 model, too. At least that's the speculation as of now.

Any rumors as to what chassis the bronco will be on?

I'm in the same boat Eric - but I know why the pick-up thought hit me.

I have always been a car guy, and finally got the car I really wanted when I got my RT Charger. Love the car - tremendous amount of power and features for the price!

Problem is - I'm starting to have trouble getting in and out of it. It sits a little lower than my 2008 Charger did, didn't really notice it when I bought it. I have always loved the Dodge Ram ( have a golf buddy who has one ) and my best friend just bought a F150 Platinum. So ponder is engaged - and if this outside sales gig comes through, I'll need a truck for sure anyway. Just frickin' sticker shock on the more equipped models though!

A pickup would probably easier for my wife to get in compared to the jeep. Sticker shock is silly right now. I was rolling in Chevy's for awhile with family discount and never really paid attention to the stickers. When we started shopping for my wife's car I had sticker shock when looking at lots of models and manufacturers.

A pickup would probably easier for my wife to get in compared to the jeep. Sticker shock is silly right now. I was rolling in Chevy's for awhile with family discount and never really paid attention to the stickers. When we started shopping for my wife's car I had sticker shock when looking at lots of models and manufacturers.
Trucks are expensive. It actually shocks me how many are on the road with the price they are now. I get the work vehicles or the guys that use them but I know many that can't even lift something into the bed of their truck let alone use it. For the price I personally just buy a nice car even though I do have times that a truck would be nice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Also, the Bronco will be making a comeback and probably as a 2018 model, too. At least that's the speculation as of now.

Is there a price point for the Bronco yet?

Trucks are expensive. It actually shocks me how many are on the road with the price they are now. I get the work vehicles or the guys that use them but I know many that can't even lift something into the bed of their truck let alone use it. For the price I personally just buy a nice car even though I do have times that a truck would be nice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are ton of them around here. Several people in my neighborhood have them and fall I to not having a work use for them or the ability to lift anything in the bed. I like to be up above the traffic which is why I have preferred SUVs over cars.

Is there a price point for the Bronco yet?
No, we haven't even seen what it might look like, other than a few one off ideas made by fans online.
At this point it's just on paper. They want either the new Ranger or Bronco made in Flat Rock, maybe both.
As of now it won't be until 2018 at the earliest and no pricing as of yet.
Heck, for that matter we haven't even heard the price for the Raptor, and it will be out at the end of this year!

The Car Shopping Thread

No, we haven't even seen what it might look like, other than a few one off ideas made by fans online.
At this point it's just on paper. They want either the new Ranger or Bronco made in Flat Rock, maybe both.
As of now it won't be until 2018 at the earliest and no pricing as of yet.
Heck, for that matter we haven't even heard the price for the Raptor, and it will be out at the end of this year!

From what I've read online (ford concept articles, Car&Driver) it was saying maybe built on the same chassis as the Raptor. Personally I'm hoping for a larger version of the Bronco that has been conceptually designed online.

3479d8e0a264544892319341afd9e93c.jpg

From what I've read online (ford concept articles, Car&Driver) it was saying maybe built on the same chassis as the Raptor. Personally I'm hoping for a larger version of the Bronco that has been conceptually designed online.

3479d8e0a264544892319341afd9e93c.jpg

That's the April Fool's Joke Bronco that was a fan design from back in 2013 and is NOT an actual concept vehicle at all. That was a mash up off the concept truck for the new/lastest F-150 that Ford called the "Atlas"....they debuted that at the Detroit Auto Show, the Atlas concept truck, NOT the Bronco.

Here is the actual picture of the Atlas they used to make the Bronco you see above.

original.jpg

Let me know your thoughts. My wife has been looking at them for awhile now.

We got the 2016 Special Edition, which sits between the base model and the fully equipped version. It's got keyless entry, start & stop, power doors but no power trunk, entertainment system but cloth seats, and plenty of other amenities I never shop for in a car but my wife loves. I still don't know what it does on the skidpad or it's 0-60 time. Yet.

We took it to Phoenix last weekend, and it drives very well on the highway. Road noise is pretty noticeable, but not bad. Headphones are included for the rear seats, two sets anyway. Gets solid mileage. Sound system is good, and cargo space plentiful. Early report is no complaints.

Let me know your thoughts. My wife has been looking at them for awhile now.
We have a 2011 Odyssey. Wife was crying when I traded in her Lexus Rx350. It was just too small with two kids and all the gear associated with it. We had an aftermarket dual headrest DVD players installed in the Odyssey. Amazing how those will keep the kids occupied for those long trips. Plenty of space and great interstate milage (on my first drive to FL from MD, I drove to Orlando filling up only once along the way (wife wasn't paying attention and ran the tank down to 0, lol)). Full tank when I left MD. Still, I was shocked as I got about 540 miles out of the tank with a totally full trunk area.

So thought I narrowed it down go Golf or a3, but suddenly the 2015 focus has caught my eye. Looked at Fiesta ST's, but the lady friend isn't big on driving a stick (ugh).

Golf - love the updated look and interiors, either Mk6 or Mk7, but diesel for sure.

A3 - awd, which is pretty big for both of us as she works 100km away 3 days per week and I travel the same route twice per week. Only issue is the not so great fuel economy.

Focus - value, value, value.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So thought I narrowed it down go Golf or a3, but suddenly the 2015 focus has caught my eye. Looked at Fiesta ST's, but the lady friend isn't big on driving a stick (ugh).

Golf - love the updated look and interiors, either Mk6 or Mk7, but diesel for sure.

A3 - awd, which is pretty big for both of us as she works 100km away 3 days per week and I travel the same route twice per week. Only issue is the not so great fuel economy.

I'd go with the golf. It's in the middle between the value focus and upscale A3. With all the driving you do, diesel milage make sense. Do you need awd ? Most of the golf's I've looked at have pretty nice interiors and handle pretty decently. Plus there's a large aftermarket community so you can always customize it to your hearts content.!
But tell your lady friend to learn stick, second most fun you can have in a car

Last edited:

The Focus ST is an awesome car, I had one for my work car for about 8 months and LOVED it....but it's a 6 speed. The regular Focus is still a nice option, and good on fuel. I would note that the trunk in the hatchback option won't fit you clubs really well. At least in the ST I had, that meant removing all of woods and setting my set in diagonally and laying the woods on top of the clubs.

I'd go with the golf. It's in the middle between the value focus and upscale A3. With all the driving you do, diesel milage make sense. Do you need awd ? Most of the golf's I've looked at have pretty nice interiors and handle pretty decently. Plus there's a large aftermarket community so you can always customize it to your hearts content.!
But tell your lady friend to learn stick, second most fun you can have in a car

Wouldn't say AWD I'd a need, but very much a want. The place we work sees some of the most snow in the area. Does it sound stupid to be making a purchase based on only 4 months of the year, yes, but her car won't need replacing for another 3-4 years, so having that one car with AWD option between the two of us would be very nice.

She won't. Thought about buying an ST and forcing her to loan, but would rather have my relationship over the car haha.

The Focus ST is an awesome car, I had one for my work car for about 8 months and LOVED it....but it's a 6 speed. The regular Focus is still a nice option, and good on fuel. I would note that the trunk in the hatchback option won't fit you clubs really well. At least in the ST I had, that meant removing all of woods and setting my set in diagonally and laying the woods on top of the clubs.

Thanks for the heads up AJ. The whole clubs not fitting thing doesn't bother me. It's the same way with the Golf and A3. I just love the options available in the Focus at a price point. Looking at something with some milage already on it and 2015 Focus Titaniums can be had for the higher end of my price point, but fully loaded.

A3 has diesel as well.

Wouldn't say AWD I'd a need, but very much a want. The place we work sees some of the most snow in the area. Does it sound stupid to be making a purchase based on only 4 months of the year, yes, but her car won't need replacing for another 3-4 years, so having that one car with AWD option between the two of us would be very nice.

She won't. Thought about buying an ST and forcing her to loan, but would rather have my relationship over the car haha.

Thanks for the heads up AJ. The whole clubs not fitting thing doesn't bother me. It's the same way with the Golf and A3. I just love the options available in the Focus at a price point. Looking at something with some milage already on it and 2015 Focus Titaniums can be had for the higher end of my price point, but fully loaded.

Loaded Focus Titanium's are the way to go then. MPG near 40 on the highway, leather, heated seats and all the bells...they are a good choice.

Nah, not at all. We live in an area similar to yours in terms of snow. We might have maybe a big storm or 3, but only really a few months out of the year. Still nothing where AWD is absolutely needed. Didn't stop my wife though for justifying the purchase of an RX350 for that very reason, LOL. My parents did this very thing two months ago and picked up the new Lexus LX SUV because they wanted 4 wheel drive. Of course we're about to get pounded with 2' of snow in the next day or two so their decision really worked out this go around!

thanks. It's at least a couple months before I consider and the raptor is out of my price range even with a decent trade in on the jeep.

i was a little surprised that the mileage wasn't better. Why do you prefer the Tacoma?

Yeah when they went to efi on the v8s their mileage went up but a V6 can only be pushed so far with hp and mileage.

I liked the interior, and some of the features of the Tacoma those compiled with their resale value and longevity on the road goes along way for me.

I know there are a ton of f-150's on the road and many happy owners I've just never been a fan, it's little things that have pushed me away from them over the yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah when they went to efi on the v8s their mileage went up but a V6 can only be pushed so far with hp and mileage.

I liked the interior, and some of the features of the Tacoma those compiled with their resale value and longevity on the road goes along way for me.

I know there are a ton of f-150's on the road and many happy owners I've just never been a fan, it's little things that have pushed me away from them over the yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this has been two of the things that stood out to me. I haven't seen the inside of f150 in awhile and from what i remember they were ok, but the Tacoma has been pretty solid. Not that I buy a car for an investment but it's nice to have one that holds it value for the next trade in.

this has been two of the things that stood out to me. I haven't seen the inside of f150 in awhile and from what i remember they were ok, but the Tacoma has been pretty solid. Not that I buy a car for an investment but it's nice to have one that holds it value for the next trade in.

Toyotas and hondas have some strong resales values. When I got rid of my 1993 Honda Prelude 4WS in 2007, it had 170K on it, a cracked windshield (literally from sitting during the one of the winter storms that buried the car to the roof in snow), probably needed a new clutch and still got 3K for it (I paid 21K new)! Can't go wrong with those manufacturer's.

A3 has diesel as well.

Only way I buy an A3 is with the 3.2.

Loaded Focus Titanium's are the way to go then. MPG near 40 on the highway, leather, heated seats and all the bells...they are a good choice.

It's crazy how much is offered in that model.

Nah, not at all. We live in an area similar to yours in terms of snow. We might have maybe a big storm or 3, but only really a few months out of the year. Still nothing where AWD is absolutely needed. Didn't stop my wife though for justifying the purchase of an RX350 for that very reason, LOL. My parents did this very thing two months ago and picked up the new Lexus LX SUV because they wanted 4 wheel drive. Of course we're about to get pounded with 2' of snow in the next day or two so their decision really worked out this go around!

Always nice to justify a purchase haha.

Back