What’s your preference thumb setting.

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Been experimenting with grips recently. I was monitoring multiple pga player on grip style.
I notice some have their left thumb(right handed player) straight down the shaft. “Long thumb” they call it. I usually have my thumb short. I saw Jordan Speith has his thumb all the way down. I tried long thumb at range tonight. It seems took away my flipping issues. Lost some distance but I was making pretty solid contact. It felt weird at beginning but I kind got use to it.

So what’s your preference? It probably no wrong or right but just want to know which one do you use it and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long thumb will inhibit wrist hinge. So when I feel as if I get a bit handsy at the top of my swing, I will consciously elongate my left (top hand) thumb down the shaft. Works like a charm.

Generally though I'm kind of an in the middle thumb as I also cup my wrist at the top of the back swing. Short thumb encourages an excessive hinge for me at times, mid feels more natural and comfortable.

But long thumb is my bandaid and one I'll use for stretches of rounds if necessary.

I guess I’m in the long thumb camp here. I find it gets the club in the fingers more and that helps me. I also use the long thumb as a guide for my right hand placement so it’s always consistent.

more hogan for me. thumb is at an angle pointed toward my target lead foot so the “v” created between my thumb and first finger points a little left of my right shoulder.

77a8ad393c39d2118f02aec1de3dc6d2.jpg

Long thumb for me.

I really don't think about short or long thumb, just placement relative to the center-line of the grip/shaft.

I think I wrap my thumb around but honestly don’t know. It’s one of those subconscious things I never think about.

Long thumb. I have a lot of flexibility and a long swing. For me, this helps to create and hold lag late into the downswing.

more hogan for me. thumb is at an angle pointed toward my target lead foot so the “v” created between my thumb and first finger points a little left of my right shoulder.

Same here. It’s a slightly strong grip and leads to a small amount of a cupped look at the top - but matches the amount of cup in the lead wrist at address.

Seems 50/50 on thumb preference.
I’m pretty happy with what I see with long thumb grip. It works for me in my flipping issues.

I have read that your left thumb supports the club at the top of the swing. So I like to put it just a bit right of center, this helps me "feel" that the club is in the right position at the top of the swing for me (ie no cupping or bowing of the wrist). I usually keep it in mid form as I don't want to feel like I'm doing anything unnatural.

I'm definitely a long thumb gripper. In my experience, I think it helps me grip softly with my right hand as when I get tired, I tend to 'steer' the club and send shots left.

Same here. It’s a slightly strong grip and leads to a small amount of a cupped look at the top - but matches the amount of cup in the lead wrist at address.

fwiw i read op incorrectly. i thought he was asking about the right thumb. but i’m not exactly like hogan in my left thumb (or any part of my game for that matter). in a little more long thumb, but it’s still to the right of center for a little stronger grip. my left hand is more like the six finger grip that annika’s coach teaches.

fwiw i read op incorrectly. i thought he was asking about the right thumb. but i’m not exactly like hogan in my left thumb (or any part of my game for that matter). in a little more long thumb, but it’s still to the right of center for a little stronger grip. my left hand is more like the six finger grip that annika’s coach teaches.

I'm not sure how one can have a "long" left/lead thumb with anything but a neutral grip. That being said, most tour pros have to have more a neutral grip or not overly strong as many have a flat wrist at the top with a neutral face (as opposed to open/closed). Otherwise any cupping at address would have to be paired with an open face in order for it to end up neutral with a flat wrist at the top.

This is exactly what I've wanted to work on in my left hand grip (right handed golfer). For some time I've felt my left hand grip was incorrect, but couldn't figure it out. Then I ran across this video & it made sense. I had too short a thumb, which can raise the second knuckle of left thumb and inhibits wrist set. Now I'm going to try a flat left thumb, touching grip with middle of thumb so as to not induce tension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVx929w45e4

I'm not sure if I read it in Golf mag or Golf Digest, but there was an article a few months back talking about this. The author stated that either way was potentially correct and that he believed it had more to do with the individual and their physical build. In other words, he looked at it from more of a biomechanical perspective.

grip-left-thumb-300x300.png

I have wanted to venture towards the longer thumb technique (suitcase hold method) to try and get a flatter wrist at the top to see if it helps to improve dispersion.

The longer thumb method is what AMG recommends and they base their instruction off the common measurements taken from tour pros on a Gears Golf system.

This was an interesting question, it's not something I've ever thought of before. My left thumb goes straight down the shaft and sits under my right thumb's muscle pad (not sure what else to refer to it as). Now I'm curious what would happen if I changed it a bit.

This was an interesting question, it's not something I've ever thought of before. My left thumb goes straight down the shaft and sits under my right thumb's muscle pad (not sure what else to refer to it as). Now I'm curious what would happen if I changed it a bit.

I’ve been experimenting and checking some pga tour player. Especially Jordan Speith and Ricky. Jordan has very unusual grip and has his thumb way down till point where tip of his thumb sticks out from right hand. Ricky looks likes he is using reverse overlap. Not sure but just looks different at his finish.
Long thumb made my grip at top more stable and seems i lost that bad loop at the top.

I've been struggling with what I assume is my grip. I alternated the other day between my neutral grip and a strong grip with mixed results. I've done the short thumb before and didn't like it. But this long thumb feels really nice and gets me in what looks like a great position at the top. Can't to try it out this week. Looks promising.

Back