Steelfiber vs recoil

Raymondg1

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have any opionions on the 2 for irons ... im looking at new irons and wanted to go away from steel and into graphite ..

to mee steelfiber i95 is awesome but i see the recoil in alot of heads now ..

thks ..

I have both in my bag now. Recoil 95s in my irons and Steelfibers in my wedges. I just prefer the feel of the Recoils. They both do the job fine, but the Recoils just feel like they are working with my swing rather than my working hard to make the others work.

Used Steelfiber since about 2007 before Recoils in 2013.

Recoils play more true to flex. Steelfiber plays firmer.

Recoils provide a bit more feel.

... I think how you swing can make a big difference with these shafts. Harder hitters may prefer the Steelfibers and smooth swingers may prefer the Recoils. I tried the Steelfiber 95's in stiff after playing VS Proto 100's and as a smooth swinger they felt like an x flex, harsh (for graphite) and did not feel like they were unloading for me. I switched to Recoil 95's in stiff and they felt great, nicely dampened and a noticeable kick thru impact. Still playing Recoils in my P790's and I really love the combo.

Last edited:
Go and try them both. They feels very different. I didn’t really get on with the steelfibers. The recoils I have now are as good as anything I’ve tried steel wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recoils in my irons and steelfiber in my wedges because I want a firmer feel in my wedges. Been playing steelfiber in my wedges for a few years and it would take some doing to get me out of them. Conversely, the Recoils feel great in my irons. Tried steelfiber in a few iron clubs but just didn't get the "feel" out of them. Maybe I didn't give them time, or could have been the wrong steelfiber flex, IDK.

I have used both. Recoils in Apex CF16 irons after being fit at ECPC, and have done Recoil 95 and Recoil 780 in different irons. I feel I'm more consistent with the Steelfiber, but like both. When I did that fitting at ECPC the Recoil was going two different directions whereas Steelfiber was really consistent. That might be the only time I hit them side by side on the same day, with the same club, and for the most part, the same swing.

steelfiber for me is in that unfortunate space of being too light and too stiff.

recoil feels a little soft and light but performs well.

i would like to be fit for recoils because i think they would be really good for me. i have zero desire to try steelfiber again.

Are you only sticking to SF or recoil?

I've got both Recoils (780 F4) and Steelfibers (110) in various sets. I prefer the Steelfibers, but for someone who plays golf as poorly as I do, I don't see a huge difference other than weight. The recoils are too light for my preference, and they don't seem quite as firm. I think I just prefer the steelfibers on a mis hit to the recoils.

I had Recoils in a set of Apex irons and didn't get along with them. Absolutely love the stiff Steelfiber i95 shafts in my CF16's.

Coming most recently from a mixed set containing Rifle 6.0 and Flighted Rifle 6.0, the i95s seem stable as all heck but slightly softer to me compared to them.

I’ve gamed both. The Steelfiber feel more like a steel shaft without the harsh feeling on bad joints. The Recoils are so smooth, kick a lot more for me, and you really can feel the head.

Just my 2 cents.

Where are you located and what flex steelfiber are you contemplating? I might be able to help you out.

I have SteelFiber i110 Regular flex in my irons. I love them. I was told by Chris at Aerotech they would feel like stiff flex and they do to me.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Like others, I played Steelfibres 95 Regular in a set of Srixon Z545's for a couple of years, had no issues with them. My current combo set of Srixon Z565/765/986 have Recoil 95 F3 (hard stepped once @ Dany Le's recommendation) and I do find them to be very smooth. I found with the SF's I could be more aggressive with my swing whereas with the Recoils, I must be smooth and in control. Both are great shafts but I do find the Recoils a little softer which is welcome as I put on the years. I also have Recoil 780 ES F4 in my Cobra Forged TEC irons and at 86 grams, they definitely for me require a smooth swing. If you can text them both you'll find out quickly which of the 2 is the better fit. For me, I'll be sticking with the recoils as they offer great distance, dispersion and are easy on the body. Good luck!

Back