Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pondering buying a dozen Nike Tour Rzn balls. I just need to figure which version is the closest to what the *proto were.

Finding that my iron "homer" is clashing... W/S F5s and C200s, and Ping G series. Oh, and my constant "want" for a set of FG Tour 100s.

Also really want to try a driver that: Sounds like the D200, has the forgiveness of a D200, has at least the same kind of adjustability, but has a bit less spin (so I can get the loft up a bit more).

I am very, very close to placing a custom order for some J15 DF's with Steelfiber i95's. :drool: However, I've got myself into a bit of a dilemma. Got a reco on a good club builder to quote them after I got a fitting that quoted me some absurdly expensive clubs (most of you probably read that thread), and he gave me what I feel based on research is quite a fair price, especially considering the pricy shafts, spining, swingweighting, etc. that he's going to do at no extra charge. Basically it actually costs less than ordering direct from Bridgestone, and I've heard his build quality is excellent.

However, I didn't know about Discount Dan's at this point, so after I heard about them on here, for S's and G's I asked for a quote from them...and lo and behold, it's another $100 less. I'm very tempted to buy from them, but I kinda feel bad after corresponding a bunch with the builder, plus I have a feeling his tolerances will be tighter. What would you guys do in this instance?

I am very, very close to placing a custom order for some J15 DF's with Steelfiber i95's. :drool: However, I've got myself into a bit of a dilemma. Got a reco on a good club builder to quote them after I got a fitting that quoted me some absurdly expensive clubs (most of you probably read that thread), and he gave me what I feel based on research is quite a fair price, especially considering the pricy shafts, spining, swingweighting, etc. that he's going to do at no extra charge. Basically it actually costs less than ordering direct from Bridgestone, and I've heard his build quality is excellent.

However, I didn't know about Discount Dan's at this point, so after I heard about them on here, for S's and G's I asked for a quote from them...and lo and behold, it's another $100 less. I'm very tempted to buy from them, but I kinda feel bad after corresponding a bunch with the builder, plus I have a feeling his tolerances will be tighter. What would you guys do in this instance?

I am all about getting a great deal and Discount Dan's is incredible to deal with. Go with them and don't look back.

I would say if the quote from the other clubbuilder is from someone local, then I would pay the extra for the local builder. If not, I would definitely save the money and buy from Discount Dan's.

For $100 I'd probably go with the local builder, since I think there's value there in terms of swingweighting and double checking all the lofts/lies.

For clarification, the builder is not local. But he does come recommended from a THPer.

Of course, so does Discount Dan's so the point of recommendation is moot I suppose.

Go with discount dans and I highly doubt you will notice the difference between the tighter tolerances from the builder and what you order from discount dans.

Aerotech steelfiber have very good radial consistency. Spinning is not needed and even puring benefits will probably marginal. What is key IMO is proper swing weighting and sometimes it's hard with aerotech. For that reason I'd go for the builder and spend the extra 100.

I am going with the builder 100% of the time. Getting a deal is great but having someone pay attention to your clubs in detail instead of just drop shipping is worth $100 in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finding that my iron "homer" is clashing... W/S F5s and C200s, and Ping G series. Oh, and my constant "want" for a set of FG Tour 100s.

Also really want to try a driver that: Sounds like the D200, has the forgiveness of a D200, has at least the same kind of adjustability, but has a bit less spin (so I can get the loft up a bit more).

Have you spent much time with the G30? I don't think you're going to match the sound, but you're going to get some options with spin between the regular G30 and the LS Tec, both I could easily game without putting much thought into it. The Tour shaft they had included made for a great pairing as well but some may lean towards a higher launching offering to get that extra oomph.

D200 10.5*. I've hit it head-to-head with several different drivers and the D200 always comes out on top. Waiting a few weeks for an F5-related price drop and then I'm pulling the trigger.

So, hit a number of irons after work, today, and results were good, and somewhat surprising. I've never been one to be put off by a chunkier looking iron, so keep that in mind. CF16s (low to mid launch; low spinning for me; Look good), G irons (Mid-high launch, but didn't care for the sound. Just didn't "grab" me.), W/S F5 irons (mid launch. Performed fine. Very nice looks, and sounded pretty good), W/S C200 (reviews on THP seem to be spot on. Solid upgrade over the C100, in looks, performance, and sound), and the 716 AP1s (Were completely on par with the C200s, but had better distance dispersion and a little better spin into landing).

From that group, I'd quickly get down to the C200 and AP1, strictly on performance (looks of the F5s get them honorable mention). Surprised I liked the AP1s so much. Some clarification on the iron ponder, with a new leader.

Have you spent much time with the G30? I don't think you're going to match the sound, but you're going to get some options with spin between the regular G30 and the LS Tec, both I could easily game without putting much thought into it. The Tour shaft they had included made for a great pairing as well but some may lean towards a higher launching offering to get that extra oomph.

You're spot on with that suggestion and thoughts on the LS Tec. I have 2 drivers in the "stable". The D200, and a G30 LS Tec, and perfectly happy to game either one, on any given day. I'm probably just looking for that holy grail of drivers that gives me the sound I'd like, in addition to the performance/forgiveness. I'm greedy that way, sometimes.

So, hit a number of irons after work, today, and results were good, and somewhat surprising. I've never been one to be put off by a chunkier looking iron, so keep that in mind. CF16s (low to mid launch; low spinning for me; Look good), G irons (Mid-high launch, but didn't care for the sound. Just didn't "grab" me.), W/S F5 irons (mid launch. Performed fine. Very nice looks, and sounded pretty good), W/S C200 (reviews on THP seem to be spot on. Solid upgrade over the C100, in looks, performance, and sound), and the 716 AP1s (Were completely on par with the C200s, but had better distance dispersion and a little better spin into landing).

From that group, I'd quickly get down to the C200 and AP1, strictly on performance (looks of the F5s get them honorable mention). Surprised I liked the AP1s so much. Some clarification on the iron ponder, with a new leader.

You're spot on with that suggestion and thoughts on the LS Tec. I have 2 drivers in the "stable". The D200, and a G30 LS Tec, and perfectly happy to game either one, on any given day. I'm probably just looking for that holy grail of drivers that gives me the sound I'd like, in addition to the performance/forgiveness. I'm greedy that way, sometimes.
Told ya the c200 were legit

Told ya the c200 were legit

Yep, really solid irons. Hopefully more folks will give them a fair shake. If they do, W/S will continue on a positive trajectory (Oh, and folks shouldn't sleep on the F5s, either, especially for those looking for a slightly bigger "players club". I know Jman made a similar statement in the F5 thread, but it deserves another mention.)

I have to say the same thing about the AP1s, too. The 714s received some positive reviews, including on THP, and the 716 version is very good as well; an improvement in performance and looks, for me, over the 714.

Can't decide which midsize orange grips to slap on the king Forged tec irons. Lamkin i-line and pure DTX are the front runners

Can't decide which midsize orange grips to slap on the king Forged tec irons. Lamkin i-line and pure DTX are the front runners

iLine.

Pure grips though, to me, are shat.

iLine.

Pure grips though, to me, are shat.

Haha. Your despise for them is well noted. I've gamed the Pure wraps and the Pro's. I have never had the DTX on the club before so I'm curious.

I don't know which grip you should go with but an orange grip on those clubs sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

want to start putting grips on by air, mostly putters, not sure if I should build my own or get one like the pure grip gun.

thoughts?

want to start putting grips on by air, mostly putters, not sure if I should build my own or get one like the pure grip gun.

thoughts?

I use a Pure Grip gun, but only because I have one.
I do not use their grips.

I use a Pure Grip gun, but only because I have one.
I do not use their grips.
Good point.

I'm just debating which would be better in the long run, for a few more bucks I could build my own.

thoughts?

The gun makes it easier for the smaller grips. If the grip is bigger than the 2.0 or a weird shape like Garsen then I just use the needle in the below photo, second from left.

61i%2BMXVB4lL._SL1500_.jpg

The Sub 30 (Type 10 and 30). I have a Milled Series 4 and the Sub 30 Type 40 already. Need to add to the collection, and that insert is awesome. I wonder if that's the insert Cleveland used in their Smart Square and Classic Collection Insert lines.
Just throwing it out there. But I have a Dinero listed in the MP that we can work something out on.

The gun makes it easier for the smaller grips. If the grip is bigger than the 2.0 or a weird shape like Garsen then I just use the needle in the below photo, second from left.

61i%2BMXVB4lL._SL1500_.jpg
just put the needle right in the top grip hole?

(there's really no way to write that tactfully...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back